Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

so now we cant use sm 1.6 annymore?

Post New Thread Reply   

Robin955
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2015 , 04:33   so now we cant use sm 1.6 annymore?
Reply With Quote #1

1.7.2 works fine but when i try my previous 1.6 sourcemod and same meta it wont run it

i updated my servers today because of that update some days ago, so now sm 1.6 is useless?

Last edited by Robin955; 09-19-2015 at 04:47.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2015 , 04:51   Re: so now we cant use sm 1.6 annymore?
Reply With Quote #2

yes, like 1.5, 1.4, 1.3 etc. etc.
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2015 , 09:33   Re: so now we cant use sm 1.6 annymore?
Reply With Quote #3

thats pretty wierd, why wouldn't they allow 1.6 to keep running? they say they want to support the modding community and now this. ^
Since they talked about security updates its like they guess that 90% of all servers runs sourcemod now and they noticed flaws in the previous sourcemod's. and decided only the latest would continue to run based on their discoveries in previous sourcemod's and their security issues.

still i think thats pretty lame to make 1.6 quit working, i would say 1.7 broke alot of plugins but makes up for a few new ones that we couldn't make before but still kinda poor reason.

Last edited by Robin955; 09-19-2015 at 09:48.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 09-19-2015 , 10:01   Re: so now we cant use sm 1.6 annymore?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin955 View Post
thats pretty wierd, why wouldn't they allow 1.6 to keep running? they say they want to support the modding community and now this. ^
Who are you referring to with "they"?

AlliedModders is still serving you as well as anyone else!

Quote:
Since they talked about security updates its like they guess that 90% of all servers runs sourcemod now and they noticed flaws in the previous sourcemod's. and decided only the latest would continue to run based on their discoveries in previous sourcemod's and their security issues.
Unfortunately, improving things does also incur breaking things from time to time. If you are don't like this, you are in the wrong business.

Quote:
still i think thats pretty lame to make 1.6 quit working, i would say 1.7 broke alot of plugins but makes up for a few new ones that we couldn't make before but still kinda poor reason.
Have fun continuing with your Windows 95. Or was it Windows 3.1 you ran?

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Dr!fter
The Salt Boss
Old 09-19-2015 , 10:22   Re: so now we cant use sm 1.6 annymore?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:

What are you talking about? Im going to assume "they" means valve. Valve didnt decide anything, they simply updated their game which broke sm thats it. We arent going to maintain 5 versions of SM so you can be happy. The security issues wasnt even related to SourceMod so i have no idea what you are talking about.

If 1.7 broke plugins then thats a bug. Everything old should still run just fine on 1.7

Last edited by Dr!fter; 09-19-2015 at 10:22.
ddhoward
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2015 , 16:24   Re: so now we cant use sm 1.6 annymore?
Reply With Quote #6

You are very very confused. Valve doesn't turn off Sourcemod versions. They don't decide that certain versions are flawed. They simply update their games. Sometimes, these updates change how Metamod and/or Sourcemod need to interact with the game. The Alliedmodders team then updates Metamod/Sourcemod accordingly.

No one is disallowing 1.6 from running. It's just so old that it doesn't know how to work with these new versions of the games.

If you try to browse the modern day Internet with a 9 year old version of an Internet browser, you're going to have problems. Same issue here. The world moves on. You need to move with it.

Last edited by ddhoward; 09-19-2015 at 16:26.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2015 , 23:30   Re: so now we cant use sm 1.6 annymore?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:

I haven't seen a sourcemod update in ages that says anything about fixing security exploits, they update it to improve sourcemod / add new features for the most part.

1.7 can run anything that 1.6 does, and there's literally no difference otherwise. What's the problem?