Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Valve's request to CS:GO community owners

Post New Thread Reply   

Sprilo
Old 07-07-2015 , 22:53   Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #1

Hey everyone,

As some of you are already aware, Vitaliy Genkin has sent a request to the CS:GO community http://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffens..._to_community/

Quote:
CS:GO community servers provide valuable experiences to players and communities, and are serving more players than ever before. Over the past month, 3.1 mln unique players were observed playing on community servers and this number keeps growing each month.

We're aware that some server operators are offering to their players false inventories and/or profiles as a free or paid service via mods on their servers. These mods inaccurately report the contents of a players' inventory and/or matchmaking status, devaluing both and potentially creating a confusing experience for players.

Therefore, we are asking server operators to remove any mods and plugins that falsify the contents of a players' profile or inventory.

To be clear, the services that should not be offered on a community server include (but are not limited to):

Allowing players to claim temporary ownership of CS:GO items that are not in their inventory (Weapon skins, knives, etc.).
Providing a falsified competitive skill group and/or profile rank status or scoreboard coin (e.g., Operation Challenge Coins).
Interfering with systems that allow players to correctly access their own CS:GO inventories, items, or profile.

If your server provides any of the above services then we request that you disable them. If for some reason you are unable or unsure of whether a particular plugin should be removed, feel free to contact us.

We will continue to monitor the players experience on community servers, and may reevaluate if further actions need to be taken to ensure that server operators comply with the request above.

Thanks,

The CS:GO Team
I'm curious as to everyone's stances and opinions on this are? Server owners? The plugin authors? AlliedMods as a whole?

Last edited by Sprilo; 07-07-2015 at 22:54.
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 07-07-2015 , 23:30   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #2

RIP knife plugin, skin plugin. a reason more to shut down community servers, lol. gj valve.

this will decrease the activity of csgo players.

valve double self pwned.

Last edited by asdfxD; 07-07-2015 at 23:33.
VeMi
Old 07-07-2015 , 23:32   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #3

Well, weapon paints, and the knife plugin were the biggest attractors to our and to most bhop, surf and kreedz servers so, if all servers decide to remove such plugins then it wouldnt be much of a problem since no one would have the monopoly. Unless people come up with clever ways around these "requests" then it shouldnt be a problem on the playerbase, it will just piss a lot of people off.
Old 07-07-2015 , 23:38   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfxD View Post
this will decrease the activity of csgo players.

valve double self pwned.
Now that's just jumping to extremes.
404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 07-07-2015 , 23:43   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #5

Two points, to asdf and Vemi.

1. Valve created CS:GO and also TF2 (I am lumping TF2 in here because a similar thing happened a few years back with "fake unusual hat" plugins). Therefore, if they want to make a rule stating you can't use plugins to grant fake items (because those items are part of an economy), then they can damn well do so.

2. Community servers don't need fake item plugins to sustain themselves. I've been running TF2 servers for several years without fake unusual hat plugins (never once used one) and my servers are doing just fine and I get plenty of donators without having fake unusual hats.

I've been commenting on the Reddit thread and I'm honestly appalled by the CS:GO community's whining responses to this. It's like they're a bunch of 13 year old boys whose secret stash of Hustler magazines just got confiscated by their mothers.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 07-07-2015 at 23:44.
VeMi
Old 07-07-2015 , 23:46   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
Two points, to asdf and Vemi.

1. Valve created CS:GO and also TF2 (I am lumping TF2 in here because a similar thing happened a few years back with "fake unusual hat" plugins). Therefore, if they want to make a rule stating you can't use plugins to grant fake items (because those items are part of an economy), then they can damn well do so.

2. Community servers don't need fake item plugins to sustain themselves. I've been running TF2 servers for several years without fake unusual hat plugins (never once used one) and my servers are doing just fine and I get plenty of donators without having fake unusual hats.

I've been commenting on the Reddit thread and I'm honestly appalled by the CS:GO community's whining responses to this. It's like they're a bunch of 13 year old boys whose secret stash of Hustler magazines just got confiscated by their mothers.
That was my original point. The community servers wasnt suffering without the knife plugins, and they will continue to survive.
Old 07-07-2015 , 23:48   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeMi View Post
That was my original point. The community servers wasnt suffering without the knife plugins, and they will continue to survive.
Exactly. Sorry, I may have missed that point, as I skimmed over the new posts.

Also a correction, "appalled" was not the word I was looking for in the last part of my previous post. More or less, I'm just sitting here shaking my head at their responses, not only to me (trying their hardest to justify to me why fake knife plugins are ok), but to Vitaliy's letter in general.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 07-08-2015 , 00:04   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #8

The knife plugin should be fine, aslong as you're not telling players to donate to get a different knife then everything should be fine, as it's just a form of confusion, even though the only servers that run these types of plugins are irrelevant to a player's inventory: mg, surf, zm, kz, what ever. If they are worried about players scamming other because what they see in game then that's just idiotic.
Lannister
Veteran Member
Old 07-08-2015 , 00:06   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #9

As they said, they are "asking" for us to remove them, but they never said that they will force us to remove them, so i guess we'll have alot more time before this happend?

And, what exactly happend in TF2, Valve forced everyone to remove the "hat" plugin?

Last edited by Lannister; 07-08-2015 at 00:39.
Fearts
ferts of daeth
Old 07-08-2015 , 00:33   Re: Valve's request to CS:GO community owners
Reply With Quote #10

I want to know if they will allow us to give players custom skins/weapon if they are only visible client side.

Basically, if a player dropped their weapon it would just be the default weapon. If a player killed another player it would show default weapon in kill feed and kill HUD. It would be the same as if someone just downloaded a skin pack and uploaded it themselves client side.

I think that would be fair and not confuse anyone or devalue anything.