Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

I found a way to view threads on AlliedMods as if the site was horribly broken.

Post New Thread Reply   

404UserNotFound
BANNED
Old 08-27-2016 , 20:39   I found a way to view threads on AlliedMods as if the site was horribly broken.
Reply With Quote #1

( "~/" = "https://forums.alliedmods.net/" , the links all direct to these forums, I just needed to shorten the "displayed" URLs to focus on the portion of the URL that is the main focus here)

So...this is weird. Compare this page: ~/showthread.php?t=198501 to this page: ~/showthread.php/showpost.php?p=1820365

Yeahhhhh.....soo, the specific URL that I first noticed this weirdness on was this URL:

~/showthread.php/showpost.php?p=1991005&postcount=142

I was trying to grab a link to a specific post in the Simple Chat Processor Redux (post 142, bottiger explaining how to fix the multiple message issue that arises when you use a PrintToChat function within OnChatMessage) to show to Redwerewolf for the Chat Processor plugin he was working on.

As best as I can guess, it's one of two things:

1. I was high when I copied the link to Redwerewolf (this much is true), and I somehow copied the thread link and then pasted the showpost.php?p= it in somewhere by accident.
2. The issue is in the site's code somewhere (highly unlikely)

Weird, right? Also, if you switch around "showthread.php" and "showpost.php" in the URL, like this for example: ~/showpost.php/showthread.php?t=198501 it just gives you the standard invalid post message.

Update: Also interesting is that the broken "/showthread.php/showpost.php?p=" URLs all still use HTTPS, but Firefox likes to say the connection isn't secure. I have noticed that in some places on the forum, Firefox reports that the connection is secure, with the green lock icon, but then in other places (such as this thread while I was editing this bit in), it tells me the connection isn't secure.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 08-27-2016 at 20:47.
pcmaster
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-28-2016 , 07:36   Re: I found a way to view threads on AlliedMods as if the site was horribly broken.
Reply With Quote #2

Don't know about the first issue, but the last one is because your signature, for example, has non-HTTPS Imgur links, causing the connection to not be fully secure.
In order for a green lock icon to appear, ALL images/css/JS(/videos?) have to be loaded over HTTPs.

Last edited by pcmaster; 08-28-2016 at 07:36.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 08-28-2016 , 07:46   Re: I found a way to view threads on AlliedMods as if the site was horribly broken.
Reply With Quote #3

Your 2nd link wont be generated anywhere, I'm sure you could find plenty of pages on the internet that are broken when you start messing around with URLs.

pcmaster has explained why browsers complain about mixed content.
Old 08-28-2016 , 15:04   Re: I found a way to view threads on AlliedMods as if the site was horribly broken.
Reply With Quote #4

Ah, well it's neat regardless

Also, I didn't realize we had a new Off-Topic section because I had minimized a bunch of section headers on the main forum page and only had the SourceMod section visible.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 08-29-2016 at 02:20.
WildCard65
Veteran Member
Old 08-28-2016 , 21:54   Re: I found a way to view threads on AlliedMods as if the site was horribly broken.
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abrandnewday View Post
Also, I didn't realize we had a new Off-Topic section because I had minimized a bunch of section headers on the main forum page and only had the SourceMod section visible.
It used to live in the AMXMODX section
Old 08-29-2016 , 02:22   Re: I found a way to view threads on AlliedMods as if the site was horribly broken.
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCard65 View Post
It used to live in the AMXMODX section
Allow me to correct myself. I did know that. I just didn't realize it had moved down to the bottom of the page because of my blind minimizing of everything except the SourceMod section. I remember it was in the AMX Mod X section for unknown reasons, along with some sections that I assume are simply archived for posterity like the multilingual AMX subsections.