Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?

Post New Thread Reply   

xumbu
Old 06-15-2014 , 02:50   Best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?
Reply With Quote #1

What is the best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?

What I need:

Object orientated programming!! (yes I know metamod plugins are written in C++. And thats great!)

AND

As many possibilities as possible to program own stuff..

best would be if i had direct access to gameObjects.

So that i can spawn/despawn gameobjects.
and
getPosition, getRotation, getSize, getChildren, getParent,
setPosition, setRotation, setSize, setChildren and setParent
of gameobjects.

btw: it would be great if I even could implement own animations (first of all for human rigs)

So is Metamod API the right choice?? Can I do all that with metamod or do I have to use valves hl2sdk in some cases?
Or can I even call all hl2sdk functions within my metamod plugin??

Last edited by xumbu; 06-15-2014 at 03:09.
xf117
Old 06-15-2014 , 08:34   Re: Best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?
Reply With Quote #2

Metamod api just allows multiple plugins to exists with each other. It doesn't add any gameplay related api or anything like that. You will have to use sdk. And no, you won't have a direct access to everything, only to the stuff that have been reverse engineered or some utility functions provided by sdk.

If you don't have plans on making something really big and complicated, it is better to stick to sourcemod, which exposes all these functions you mentioned for you.
You will lose all benefits from using real OO language tho...

If you choose Metamod tho, there are not a lot information or up-to-date active open source plugins to learn from. If you new to Source engine, it's probably gonna be tough to get started.
Send a message via ICQ to xf117
xumbu
Old 06-15-2014 , 11:37   Re: Best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
If you don't have plans on making something really big and complicated
oh lol yes i do. I just didn't have time to go into details of metamod or hl2sdk.

So is stub_mm example actually a hl2sdk plugin (started by mm) ??

Last edited by xumbu; 06-15-2014 at 13:28.
xf117
Old 06-15-2014 , 12:47   Re: Best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?
Reply With Quote #4

Yeah, msvs project is linked to respective gamemod sdk.
You can grab the latest one on github
xumbu
Old 06-15-2014 , 21:04   Re: Best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
It doesn't add any gameplay related api or anything like that
Quote:
you won't have a direct access to everything, only to the stuff that have been reverse engineered or some utility functions provided by sdk.

Quote:
So is stub_mm example actually a hl2sdk plugin?
You said "yes".

It it is not clear to me what you mean. Because first you said that metamod does not have any gameplay releated api. Then you said it has, but there are not a lot information!?

so what is true now? Sry I am a bit confused

I just need to know what I should learn.
Writing Metamod plugins like sample_mm or writing standard hl2sdk Mods...

Sourcemod is no option.

Last edited by xumbu; 06-15-2014 at 23:40.
xf117
Old 06-16-2014 , 05:43   Re: Best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?
Reply With Quote #6

I said msvs project for that plugin is linked with sdk for choosen game, but metamod itself doesn't provide it, you have to download it manually and set up the path. There is information about how to set up your development environment. But not a lot of information about actually writing something of your own. I guess you are expected to be familiar with Source engine.

Metamod part of a plugin is just couple of hooks to be able to work nicely with other plugins.
And yes, Metamod is not a replacement for hl2sdk mods. You will have to learn standart hl2sdk and then, if you want to, you can use Metamod for managing your plugins.
xumbu
Old 06-16-2014 , 08:50   Re: Best way to create CSGO mods for experienced software developer?
Reply With Quote #7

ok thanks