Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[L4D] Infected Bots

Post New Thread Reply   

Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 01-25-2009 , 14:24   [L4D] Infected Bots
Reply With Quote #1

Here's how I think we might be able to get Infected Bots..

When infected team is not 4 players, then make a fake player and join the infected team until there are 4 players. When they enter ghost mode (there is an event for that), and assuming fake players can event enter ghost mode (if they can't then just set up a timer).

Once they're in ghost mode, maybe we can force spawn them? z_spawn <whateverclasstheyare> and then give health should work. After that we kick the fake player out and the bot will take over, once the bot dies put the fake player back into the game.

Tweak the bot CVAR settings to make them better as an extra plus.

The only downside is that they wouldn't show up in the infected HUD.
djromero
Old 01-30-2009 , 01:18   Re: [L4D] Infected Bots
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown1 View Post
Here's how I think we might be able to get Infected Bots..

When infected team is not 4 players, then make a fake player and join the infected team until there are 4 players. When they enter ghost mode (there is an event for that), and assuming fake players can event enter ghost mode (if they can't then just set up a timer).

Once they're in ghost mode, maybe we can force spawn them? z_spawn <whateverclasstheyare> and then give health should work. After that we kick the fake player out and the bot will take over, once the bot dies put the fake player back into the game.

Tweak the bot CVAR settings to make them better as an extra plus.

The only downside is that they wouldn't show up in the infected HUD.
I already tried this (spawning infected with a fake player), but the problem is that when you try to spawn the extra infected bot (assuming there's only 3 real players on infected team), a real player (that is currently dead) will take control over it right away. The fake player won't take control of the special infected. I'm still trying to play with timers to make this work, maybe by simulating the new bot's spawn wait. The only odd thing would be that a "random?" real player would get lucky and spawn a few seconds after he dies (by taking over the new bot).

The other problem is that when you force spawn a special infected, it could spawn right in front of the survivors, even on safe rooms.

I haven't dropped this, i think soon i'll have something working.

Last edited by djromero; 01-30-2009 at 01:24.
djromero
Old 01-30-2009 , 01:54   Re: [L4D] Infected Bots
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by djromero View Post
I already tried this (spawning infected with a fake player), but the problem is that when you try to spawn the extra infected bot (assuming there's only 3 real players on infected team), a real player (that is currently dead) will take control over it right away. The fake player won't take control of the special infected. I'm still trying to play with timers to make this work, maybe by simulating the new bot's spawn wait. The only odd thing would be that a "random?" real player would get lucky and spawn a few seconds after he dies (by taking over the new bot).

The other problem is that when you force spawn a special infected, it could spawn right in front of the survivors, even on safe rooms.

I haven't dropped this, i think soon i'll have something working.
Well, i fixed my second problem. I figured out that if i just use "z_spawn hunter auto" the director will spawn the bot away from the survivors's line of view and it will even choose the best location for it.

I'll release my plugin soon for testing.

djromero
Old 01-30-2009 , 05:24   Re: [L4D] Infected Bots
Reply With Quote #4

Ok, it's done.

Here's my plugin: http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?p=752604

Haven't tested it well enough, but it seems to work ok.