Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Which improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?

Post New Thread Reply   

rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 06-29-2010 , 07:59   Which improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #1

When the CS:S update that broke almost all server plugins was released (including Zombie Mod), I couldn't avoid notice people mentioning ZR several times in the forums at zombiemod.com. However, most of them said that ZR sucks and is a piece of crap: http://www.zombiemod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6552

I wonder why they say that. Were those posts ironic? Or do ZR need some improvements? And in that case, which improvements? Or is it just that they want simplicity?

The number of people who like ZR is probably a lot higher than those who don't like it. But there are always room for improvements.

One thing I dislike about ZR now (3.0 beta 2 branch) is the complex configs. The plugin configuration lets you tune almost every area in the plugin, but maybe that's the problem, it's too much and confusing for new users of ZR. Maybe we could separate basic and advanced configuration settings into separate files/areas? I'm so used to tech stuff I don't know what's "easy" and not. Especially being a developer of ZR makes it difficult to see what's bad sometimes, since I know exactly how to do stuff in ZR compared to new users who have to learn it first.

A little development status update: We expected to have a release ready this summer, but due to bigger plans with the development branch we probably won't make release in another 5-6 months (and that's a optimistic estimate ). We will still keep the beta 2 branch up to date with minor bug fixes and new simple features. Some bugs might not be fixed because they're too complex or not worth backporting from the development branch.

Otherwise I can't see anything bad at the moment. Just wondering what specific things that people dislike about ZR and what improvements we can do. Any ideas?

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)

Last edited by rhelgeby; 12-28-2010 at 06:02.
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
Diablo3
Old 06-29-2010 , 09:11   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #2

Quite difficult to configured all ZR plugin, but ZR is very big and good plugin, so as you can said, one way you can separate advanced and basic settings, but in the mass all looks good.

In the later versions don't forget to add this:
  • Ability to customize random function for players spawn (random only for human/only for zombies/both)
  • Ability to turn on/off !zadmin (for example for customs flags only)
  • Teleport should teleport back to random spawn, not always to the same
It's needed not only for me, a lot of post about that... So lazy to edit .inc files and always recompile plugin when new version come out

Some times ago somebody ask about Zombie Riot. I don't know what exactly it is but Riot sounds good and will be very cool ;)
Old 06-29-2010 , 09:32   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #3

I don't understand either why they say that ZR suck.

I used ZM in the past then moved to other games.

I came back to CSS lately and tried ZR and loved it.

-----------------------------------
Although there's always been something in my mind, more an addons plugin for ZR since it's somehow a specific request :

I've played L4D and loved the Horde experience from it (horde event).
Our Respawn is disabled . At end of the round (~20 sec approx), i would like a plugin to force respawn dead people into zombies :

zr_zspawn_force @dead 1

Some cvars would allow specific settings on some maps :

- enable/disable horde
- Remaining time at end of round when to trigger the horde

------------------------------

If someone could do that i would love him.

KyleS
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 06-29-2010 , 09:46   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #4

Zombie:Reloaded is great, however the bug list is still rather... fruitful.

I just set my bud up with Zombie:Reloaded, to get him to switch though I had to fix bug 134 (as well as 127, plus add some other features not present in either mod). I'd submit patches, but the last time I tried the latest ZR: Dev my error logs were up to 50kb in less than a minute (The Ammo Manager error has since been rectified, IIRC).

Last edited by KyleS; 06-29-2010 at 09:56.
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 06-29-2010 , 21:25   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #5

If you have patches to submit, please do so (in our issue tracker at google). We'll review them.

(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
anonpiss
Old 06-29-2010 , 21:32   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #6

Here's one that I have been requesting to be implemented on ZR.
http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=121117
Greyscale
Old 06-29-2010 , 23:04   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #7

anonpiss, I'm sure there is some plugin out there that can do it. Just disable ztele and use another one. This feature will be done, just not now.
Old 06-30-2010 , 00:00   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #8

Back in the day when we topped out the rankings with the old Zombie Mod, our server was one of the main beta test beds for that mod.

I remember the months and months of trying to get the Dev to improve just ONE area of it .. and then often than not, it wasn't done, or half done when the lone dev - who refused to make it open source - felt like it.

Notwithstanding the fact we were charged $$ for the dubious privilege of gaining a beta version for each 'update' which more often than not created other dramas within the Mod itself, or was a compete disappointment anyway.

I would like to not even acknowledge the Zombie mod forum, or those devoted to it .. it's their choice, and best of luck with that.
The proponents of Zombie mod are right in that Zombie Reloaded cannot compare to Zombie Mod.

Zombie: Reloaded is progressive, consultative, evolving and stable. It has active development backed up by a highly regarded community. It has so many more included surprises, improvement and capabilities within it's coding than Zombie Mod could even begin to dream about.

So those few who want to rubbish ZR compared to their blinkered views on ZM - you are dead right .. ZR cannot compare.. nor would it, I suggest, WANT to compare!

Not for all the money in the world would we go back to Zombie Mod ... why would we? What possible incentive is there to go from a Silk Purse back to a Sow's Ear?

It's obvious in the amount of Forum activity in the other place anyway of how much interest is there... and most of the initial respected long term (5 years or better) hard core Zombie Mod server admins and sys admins have LONG AGO deserted it ... they, like us, just got too sick & tired of waiting and hanging off hollow, non-progressive promises and non-development.

No thanks, not anymore. Zombie Reloaded kicks Zombie Mod back into the dark ages, where it never really emerged from, despite the promise it showed initially back all those years ago. Anyone thinking Zombie Mod is a better, more stable, more flexible or better optioned Mod than Zombie Reloaded, well, you keep believing that, as I will be the last to disturb your Fool's Paradise.
|IC| UltimateZombie: Reloaded - IP: 117.20.5.153:27015

|IC| Ultra GunGame SM - IP: 117.20.5.153:27018
Greyscale
Old 06-30-2010 , 01:00   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #9

SandFly is such a sweet talker

Thank you for that. Appreciation like this is the real reward of developing plugins for a community. It's worth more than money.
Old 06-30-2010 , 10:30   Re: What improvements can be made in Zombie:Reloaded?
Reply With Quote #10

Would anyone like to see a light version of ZR, with just the basic stuff?

What I'd remove from the light version:
  • Cookies
  • Hit groups
  • Volfeatures
  • ZMarket (and maybe weapon restrictions)