Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 01-01-2016 , 13:07   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychonic View Post
People on all sides need to just grow up and act like adults.
Interesting you say that in exactly that way.
I don't see that happening for some people, however. What I am trying to say is that currently what you offer is just for those scammers to profit from, nothing more, and not for the community.
That's quite a shame and I would like to change that.
If you do not want to offer a hint of moderation, don't have moderators. Don't have unapproval sections. I don't want to babysit every single weirdo out there, I want the platform you offer to remain open and offer a freedom of information so people can make decisions. Right now server ops are nothing more like potential victims. They don't know what to look out for (as previously explained), how could they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3dw3r3w0lf View Post
So you're against turnkey plugins and not work-for-hire ones or both?
I'm against scamming people and drama.
People can sell what they want, however currently the buyer does not have the possibility to make an informed decision. If this was a corner-case, I wouldn't give a shit, but since a buttload of people are actually affected by this (and thousands of dollars are being made by single entities), a sense of responsibility kicks in.
The way it currently is is that people are being conned by those scammers. False reputation is being used, and an alliedmods account is considered as a certificate of trust.
With your account you would have no issues selling a bunch of shit to pretty much every community out there, make a bunch of money, and get server access either directly from the ops or by the means of backdoors (without and with source).

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.

Last edited by Dr. Greg House; 01-01-2016 at 13:15.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 01-01-2016 , 13:14   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #12

They can do their homework/research on their own? Ask/search for past works the coder made? Ask for recommendations by other people?

Or take the route I did and learn plugin writing on their own, and utilize the scripting forum for any help they need.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-01-2016 , 13:15   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg House View Post
If you do not want to offer a hint of moderation...
That's an interesting twist of my words.

Quote:
I don't want to babysit every single weirdo out there
Don't worry. We didn't have any plans to make you a moderator. Your burden is lifted.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 01-01-2016 , 13:20   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
They can do their homework/research on their own? Ask/search for past works the coder made? Ask for recommendations by other people?

Or take the route I did and learn plugin writing on their own, and utilize the scripting forum for any help they need.
That's currently absolutely not working. You're one of the few exceptions. You've actually been here for a while, you know what is going on. I don't know how much you know about what happens outside of these forums though.

Quote:
That's an interesting twist of my words.
Seeing how you twist my words into a formal request to babysit people, it is somewhat a low-fat version of your cuisine.

Quote:
Don't worry. We didn't have any plans to make you a moderator. Your burden is lifted.
Don't worry, I don't intend to.
I must say however, your responses are leaving the (hopefully false) impression that you're just trying to flamebait me here.

Watch out when you're paying people for private requests! Most stuff already exists and you can hardly assess the quality of what you'll get, and if it's worth the money.
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 01-01-2016 , 13:30   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
I must say however, your responses are leaving the (hopefully false) impression that you're just trying to flamebait me here.
Who's baiting whom?

I take issue with your claims that the sky is falling and some of the ridiculous methods proposed to "fix" it.

You've however proven many times that arguing with you is a waste of time, so I'll not waste mine by going into detail, repeating things that have already been pointed out multiple times anyway.
Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 01-01-2016 , 13:32   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Who's baiting whom?

[...]

You've however proven many times that arguing with you is a waste of time, so I'll not waste mine by going into detail, repeating things that have already been pointed out multiple times anyway.
Ditto.
This is where my sense of responsibility ends.

Last edited by Dr. Greg House; 01-01-2016 at 13:34.
tousif
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-02-2016 , 00:39   Re: Recent forum and community development - Situation assessment and proposals
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Any plans to make me moderator? :p