Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

LUA - an source:mm-like plugin ?

Post New Thread Reply   

Rebell
Veteran Member
Old 02-17-2006 , 02:56   LUA - an source:mm-like plugin ?
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

have a look here : http://www.lua.org/about.html and the needed plugin for cs:s here :

Quote:
DarkLord opened his big mouth to say:
This is my first plugin I've released, it's not really buggy, but there aren't as many commands as I'd like. Full documentation is on it's way, but for now heres a half-finished Wiki. All comments, suggestions, and bugs you can post here. Also feel free to PM or IM me with new ideas, as I'm not the most creative person. Example and finished scripts can be found in the Wiki.

About

LUAPlugin is a plugin for Counter Strike: Source that allows administrators to control they're server with the LUA scripting language.

What's Here

* Hooking of events. (player_death, player_hurt, etc.. (including the say and say_team commands))
* Ability to make "fake" console commands.
* ConVar access.
* Basic player commands. (killing a player, client command, getting a player's SteamID, etc...)

What's Coming

* Access to things like money, teams, ammo, kills, deaths, armor, god mode and noclip.
* Entity creation and control.
* Many more features.

Download http://www.lua.hostingforum.biz/FILE...UGIN_1_0_1.rar.

Right now it's only for Windows, but as we speak I'm working on compiling for Linux.
cya
Old 02-17-2006 , 09:26  
Reply With Quote #2

lua sucks
Old 02-17-2006 , 16:24  
Reply With Quote #3

That's closer to the original idea for SourceMod than it is to SourceMM. Since it is implemented as a Valve Server Plugin, however, it can only export the limited functionality that is available for VSPs to its scripts.

edit: lua sucks
awuh0
Old 02-18-2006 , 09:54  
Reply With Quote #4

yeah... that plugin is useless, Mattie's eventscipts do more...
find a better way to play CSS, connect to...
thewuh.servebeer.com
thecircus.servebeer.com
Send a message via ICQ to awuh0 Send a message via AIM to awuh0 Send a message via MSN to awuh0
saRsGreenGiant
Old 02-18-2006 , 13:13  
Reply With Quote #5

worked nicely for gmod didnt it
sars.servegame.com:13371 (18man Custom maps)
sars.servegame.com:1337 (20man pure)
sars.servegame.com:27013 (Gmod)
+more
Send a message via MSN to saRsGreenGiant
cybermind
Old 02-18-2006 , 14:17  
Reply With Quote #6

Lua, like AMX, is only as powerful as the implementation allows, be it natives or forwards. Since the application implementing the language in LUAplugin's case is a Valve Server Plugin, the lua scripts can only do as much as a Valve Server Plugin can do. Since Garry's lua engine is directly inside his mod, it allows for greater control, as it could potentially do anything a mod could do.

As for "lua sucks," every language has its own merits and downsides, and each is more suited to specific tasks. Lua is relatively simple to embed into an application, and is apparently fast, but it is still a runtime-interpreted language thus it cannot be as fast as a pre-compiled binary.* This just doesn't seem to suit an environment in which execution must be as fast as possible. Lua would be just fine where such a speed requirement is not an issue. Finally, lua's syntax leaves much to be desired in my opinion. Keyword-induced control structures don't sit right with me.

*As can be seen with Mattie's Eventscripts, the execution speed is typically trivial, but the fact remains for argument's sake.