Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

[bug] format is acting VERY wierd

karlos
Veteran Member
Old 08-06-2005 , 14:40   [bug] format is acting VERY wierd

i have this line
Code:
					len += format(menuBody[len], 511-len,"Gives you bonuses when you kill an enemy, these bonuses last for the specified time.^n^nRequires: Blood Lust , Level %d, %d point%s.^n^nNext level [%d] Lasts %.2f second%s, gain is %d%% of maxhealth upon kill, effects of primalscream upon kill, speed increases by %d%% upon kill.^n^n2. Buy %s^n^n0. Exit", HUNGERLEVEL, pointcost, pointcost > 1 ? "s" : "", upgrlevel, hungermaxtime, hungermaxtime == 1.0 ? "" : "s", HUNGERHEALTH, hungerspeed, upgrade_names[upgrade_choice[id]])
(5 tabs at the front)

upgrade_names is max 20 chars long

NOW the problem:
it get this error:
Code:
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(736) : error 075: input line too long (after substitutions)
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(737) : error 017: undefined symbol "upgrade_cho"
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(738) : warning 217: loose indentation
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(738) : error 017: undefined symbol "ice"
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(738) : warning 215: expression has no effect
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(738) : error 001: expected token: ";", but found "]"
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(738) : error 029: invalid expression, assumed zero
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(738) : fatal error 107: too many error messages on one line
the format above is line 737
736 is correct and when i comment that line he says 735...
738 is a closing "}" inside an IF

WHAT IS HAPPENING:
format starts at the very beginning of that line and counts 511 chars forward (1 tab = 1 space)
he ends at "upgrade_names[upgrade_cho" the "o" is char 510 and stops

but why is he counting variable name lenght ?

BUT NOW A MORE WIERD thing:
when i change string lenght to 1024 (inside format 1023)
i only get this error:
Code:
// F:\extralevels2_reworkdummy.sma(736) : error 075: input line too long (after substitutions)
any help ?
Veteran Member
Old 08-07-2005 , 13:46  

You should read the error/warnings as they come and sort them out.
It states that the input line is too long. Actually it is 514 bytes, that's very long, I recommend using shorter ones, not only to make the compiler swallow it but also to make your code legible.

You can rewrite it like this:

Code:
new menuBody[512], HUNGERLEVEL, len, pointcost, id, upgrade_choice[32], upgrlevel, hungermaxtime, HUNGERHEALTH, hungerspeed, upgrade_names[32] new const THEFORMAT[] = "Gives you bonuses when you kill an enemy, these bonuses last for the specified time.^n\ ^n\ Requires: Blood Lust , Level %d, %d point%s.^n\ ^n\ Next level [%d] Lasts %.2f second%s, gain is %d%% of maxhealth upon kill, effects of primalscream upon kill, speed increases by %d%% upon kill.^n\ ^n\ 2. Buy %s^n\ ^n\ 0. Exit" len += format(menuBody[len], 511-len, THEFORMAT, HUNGERLEVEL, pointcost, pointcost > 1 ? "s" : "", upgrlevel, hungermaxtime, hungermaxtime == 1.0 ? "" : "s", HUNGERHEALTH, hungerspeed, upgrade_names[upgrade_choice[id]])

The string containing the format is placed into its own const array and then used, thus splitting the one row into two.
I have also split up lines using backslashes so it's easier to read the menu (I'm guessing that code is used in a menu). It helps the coder get a better preview of how the menu will look like.

I can't really answer to how the compiler calculates the actual length of the line, but you can be sure it has its limits when parsing lines and if it finds a line too long, you just have to shorten it.
karlos
Veteran Member
Old 08-07-2005 , 18:04  

so the problem is that the line of the sma is just too long for the compiler ?
hmm ok
but when i comment that line it still reports that error
so does the compiler first reads the line and then checks it ?
Veteran Member
Old 08-07-2005 , 18:41  

I noticed that if the line is too long, the compiler will have a problem with it regardless if it's commented.
karlos
Veteran Member
Old 08-07-2005 , 18:57  

ah ok
so its bit different i though
but thats is ok

you can close this topic