Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Plugins, quantity, quality

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

Johnny got his gun
Veteran Member
Old 03-12-2005 , 07:36   Plugins, quantity, quality

<rant>
We have a lot of plugins here in the Plugins forum.
A lot of them are good, well-written and even posted right, ie following the rules for posting that have been stickied.

Then, there are quite a number of plugins that fullfil only one, a few, or in some cases none of the above criteria.

I'd just like to state that I'm fed up with those and that I from now on will be even harder with trashing plugins that don't comply with the rules.
Badly coded plugins that do stuff in a silly way that there obviously are better and more sleek ways of doing will be trashed.

Why?

Reason 1: This is to protect/help all server admins out there. This should go without saying. If you release a plugin, a general server admin expects that the plugin works. Not everyone knows how to script (and shouldn't really need to either). Any bugs in your plugin, that admin will likely not be able to solve.

Reason 2: As stated above, we have a lot of plugins. There really is no need to have badly written plugins around. Too many people that just learned scripting just too often post the first script they ever wrote. And in many cases they write something like "thanks to XXX who helped me and wrote 99% of this code. I don't really understand anything of it".
When considering if you should post a plugin you wrote or not, think about stuff like: "Has this been written before? (redundancy warning) Did I just start learning scripting and have no real coding experience? (crappy code warning)". If you answer yes to any of those, you probably shouldn't post the code. If your plugin do something cool however, you should probably fix your code using scripting help forum of course!

The goal is to achieve a Plugin forum that contains quality plugins, and hopefully very few bad plugins. It's hard to achieve, of course, but that is the goal.
</rant>
nightscreem
Veteran Member
Old 03-12-2005 , 08:42  

AMEN

yeah good job to write that because there are to many plugins
that do the same
Never Fall Asleep
Old 03-12-2005 , 15:45  

I totaly agree. i think jghg defenatly needs to read this thread and learn from this.......
manorastroman
Old 03-12-2005 , 17:57  

agreed
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-13-2005 , 05:13  

finally we get some cleaning here

robbob4
Old 03-16-2005 , 20:43  

I think we should move all approved plugins to a diff forum and leave all the rest here so people can work on them still, you should also move (archive) really old plugins to a inactive forum or something possibly... just suggestions.
TotalNoobScripter
Old 03-30-2005 , 20:27  

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbob4
I think we should move all approved plugins to a diff forum and leave all the rest here so people can work on them still, you should also move (archive) really old plugins to a inactive forum or something possibly... just suggestions.
that would be nice.
Send a message via AIM to TotalNoobScripter
scriptyboy
BANNED
Old 09-24-2005 , 20:18  

I totally agree...i just started to learn small and how to write plugins...and so far i have a few successful ones...such as AMXVOTEKICK and UNBURYME...I admit that i had help...but i wrote the plugin and others helped me clean it up a bit...I think it is fair to give credit to people that helped work out bugs, but not post a plugin that someone else made. Great post JGHG.
Z3US
Old 06-04-2006 , 10:17  

I agree
Old 05-29-2007, 16:17
kmal2t
This message has been deleted by Greentryst. Reason: hi
Old 05-31-2007, 15:44
mateo10
This message has been deleted by Greentryst. Reason: reply to deleted post
Old 06-02-2007, 10:05
SweatyBanana
This message has been deleted by Greentryst. Reason: reply to deleted post