Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Speed problem

Post New Thread Reply   

rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 10-27-2010 , 19:47   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #51

CatsyLady: Please don't go off-topic in this thread. Search for or make new threads for your issue. Do general troubleshooting like checking error logs, disabling plugins, or doing a GDB backtrace if you know how to.

Zombie:Reloaded | PawnUnit | Object Library
(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)
Send a message via MSN to rhelgeby
CatsyLady
Old 10-27-2010 , 20:15   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #52

just hold on ^^
atm server is empty...

@rhelgeby
i actually do this GDB thingy
sorry for wrong forum

Last edited by CatsyLady; 10-27-2010 at 20:18.
c0ldfyr3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-28-2010 , 22:13   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #53

As this affects us both in a big way, if there's any way I can be of assistance please don't hesitate to ask
Veteran Member
Old 10-29-2010 , 02:13   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #54

Well I thought you used a better and more correct method anyways and wasn't affected by this update. Modifying LMV is the only way that works smooth now (except for its side effects with jump speed and such).

If there's something we need help with, it is low level stuff in the engine. I'm not good at C++ and don't know Valve's SDK that well. Except that I think speed might being setting on client side (as others have mentioned) is a CS:S specific change and it might be impossible now.

We depend on help from the community with such stuff. Internal plugin logic and designing features is one thing, but I don't know the game engine well enough to think of alternatives or hacks for broken stuff.

The only thing we got is that extension posted somewhere in this thread. It wasn't smooth when I tested it, but maybe it can be fixed.

(Please don't send private messages for support, they will be ignored. Use the forum.)

Last edited by rhelgeby; 10-29-2010 at 03:07.
c0ldfyr3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-30-2010 , 04:15   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelgeby View Post
Well I thought you used a better and more correct method anyways and wasn't affected by this update. Modifying LMV is the only way that works smooth now (except for its side effects with jump speed and such).

The only thing we got is that extension posted somewhere in this thread. It wasn't smooth when I tested it, but maybe it can be fixed.
The extension posted in this thread is somewhat similar to how ZM used to perform it's speed functions. There used to be a GetMaxSpeed() function for each weapon and ZombieMod hooked that function for each and every weapon as it was created and UnHooked it on destruction, it was memory leak free surprisingly (thank you SourceHook ;)). The OB update removed that function and the extension in this thread is the closest thing I've seen yet to how it used to work and how it works now, but as you said the client cvars are enforcing that setting now, as if I set sv_cheats to 1 and set the client cvars really high it works.

I searched the SDK lately (you can do that too :p) and found a reference to the cl_forwardspeed ConVar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK
// ConVar cl_forwardspeed( "cl_forwardspeed", "400", FCVAR_CHEAT ); // Links us to the client's version
I've tried and it doesn't so they've changed something in that regard too.

Quote:
If there's something we need help with, it is low level stuff in the engine. I'm not good at C++ and don't know Valve's SDK that well.
Well hey, as I said, if there's anything I can help with in general don't be afraid to ask, as I've said before ZM is only closed source as it's such a mess internally it's not that I want to keep it a secret or anything, jeepers I release debug binaries you can see how I do everything with IDA and my linux so :p
Veteran Member
Old 10-30-2010 , 05:35   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #56

If it's just a cvar limiting the speed it might be possible to bypass it. We had to do that when we modified m_flMaxSpeed. Someone on this forum posted a workaround/hack that modify velocity sent by clients, like this:

http://helgeby.no-ip.org/zrdev/hg/hg...apply.inc#l452 (ClassPreThinkPost and OnPlayerRunCmd right below).

I don't really know how clients inform the servers when they walk, either that they update their position or tell their current velocity and let the server do the rest. Movement has to be simulated on the server too, so it still might be a way to hack this.

c0ldfyr3
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-31-2010 , 21:01   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhelgeby View Post
http://helgeby.no-ip.org/zrdev/hg/hg...apply.inc#l452 (ClassPreThinkPost and OnPlayerRunCmd right below).
Are you currently using that method? It looks dirty and not very reliable? Maybe I'm wrong though, are you currently using that method?

I've been looking around the engine for a way of increasing speed although not too much as I haven't had much time to just float about but an idea I currently have is a 'boost' bind or something similar which applies velocity in the direction they're facing, the problem here is that this would clash with knockback and whichever velocity impulse is fired last is the direction they'd end up going so it's not very feasible >.< That and asking clients to bind buttons doesn't work out very well for new players :p
Veteran Member
Old 10-31-2010 , 21:35   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #58

No, that method is broken too. It did work pretty well, except that there were acceleration issues with slow classes, and sometimes when crouching with heavy weapons.

blodia
Veteran Member
Old 11-17-2010 , 16:35   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #59

lol i came up with that method for modifying speed, if i can't do something in a clean way i do it whatever way i can, most of my plugins are like that, but thats one reason why they're unique .

anyway http://forums.alliedmods.net/showpos...0&postcount=42
rhelgeby
Veteran Member
Old 11-17-2010 , 18:39   Re: Speed problem
Reply With Quote #60

If the max speed attribute really is broken and they might fix it, that's good news.