Steam Trade Scam

Post New Thread Reply   

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 08-12-2014 , 23:06   Re: Steam Trade Scam
Reply With Quote #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
I do not see anything that indicates anyone thought there was any sort of alternative trade system. :\
The thread title. Simply getting someone on Steam that is asking to trade is not a scam. So, the only way to scam someone is to do something outside of the provided system.
Old 08-12-2014 , 23:10   Re: Steam Trade Scam
Reply With Quote #22

The issue arises when people DON'T REALIZE that they are operating outside of the provided system. This is what defines phishing.
Old 08-13-2014 , 00:58   Re: Steam Trade Scam
Reply With Quote #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddhoward View Post
The OP never claimed this? The first post seems to depict a hijacked account adding GsiX as a friend on Steam. The phisher then claimed that he wanted to trade with GsiX, but his main account was erroring when he tried to add GsiX (which is actually not that rare of an occurrence). He then asked GsiX to add said account, which does not actually exist; the link given was a phishing link made to look like steamcommunity.com.

I do not see anything that indicates anyone thought there was any sort of alternative trade system. :\
The only thing I know was dont login into additional url link in order to add someone. The rest is I have no clue as me myself don't actually play tf2.
I know how to code complex script in tf2 but ask me a weapon name and I ll stumble.

Your explanations help me alot. Thanks..
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-13-2014 , 10:07   Re: Steam Trade Scam
Reply With Quote #24

If I really want to add someone, I'll do it through the Steam client I already have open.

Oh, that user's profile doesn't exist on Steam? Shock and amazement!

Anyway, ever since I unboxed an unusual taunt (which have been in the game for at most a month, I unboxed it within 5 days of the update), I have a lot of people trying to add me. I simply ignore anyone that tries to add me, unless one of these apply:
  1. I recognize their name (GsiX got added due to that) and I can confirm who they are*.
  2. They're already friends with a bunch of people I know. Chances are this goes along with #1.
  3. They're a member of one of my groups. Except any "official" groups or the PropHunt group (which has like 50k members).

*This restriction happened because someone was pretending to be someone I know who works at Valve. Luckily, I wasn't stupid enough to follow the link they sent.

Last edited by Powerlord; 08-13-2014 at 10:08.
Neeeeeeeeeel.-
Some Guy Yellin'
Old 08-13-2014 , 11:52   Re: Steam Trade Scam
Reply With Quote #25

Here is where the site owner stores your credentials info:
domain.com/data/G5Eiz5hqAHfZknc.txt