Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Official AMXX Plugins on a Repository + License?

Post New Thread Reply   

swampdog
Old 07-10-2016 , 11:57   Official AMXX Plugins on a Repository + License?
Reply With Quote #1

I am wondering what the proper method of uploading any AMX Mod X plugins included with the Official AMXX releases to a public repository like Github is.

I want to upload modified plugins designed for usage with Sven Co-op 5.0, but I don't know if I need to include a license or any other kind of information. If so, which license(s) do I need? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I want to upload my whole server configuration and source codes to a repository like Github or Bitbucket so other developers or server admins can research, because there is absolutely a need to make changes to plugins for optimization with Sven Co-op 5. AMXX and Metamod are "unstable" with Sven Co-op 5, so I have done my best to work around this issue by either recoding plugins or re-designing them to reduce the frequency of crashing on my Linux servers. I actually have been somewhat successful in this pursuit, and I want to share all information possible to continue AMXX support and development for Sven Co-op 5.0. I haven't been able to find much information about this. I would like to include plugins by other authors that are not official AMX Mod X plugins, but for now I would just like to include plugins that I actually have permission or right to do so. For instance, I have received permission from Silencer to upload his SCXPM code with my modifications. I do not intend on uploading or hosting any scripts for which I do not have permission or rights. I am wondering what the proper way to do this is, if there even is a way. Thank you.
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 07-10-2016 , 14:12   Re: Official AMXX Plugins on a Repository + License?
Reply With Quote #2

You are free to modify GPL code (AMX Mod X is covered by the GPL license and all plugins inherit the license). So, you can post any source code that you want regardless of who the author is (though it is appropriate to give credit to the auther and not claim it as your own). I don't recommend hosting the binaries, only the source code.

To get a more accurate answer, you would need to read the GPL version that covers AMX Mod X (you can see the license notification at the top of many of the plugins).

Last edited by fysiks; 07-10-2016 at 14:18.
swampdog
Old 07-11-2016 , 05:42   Re: Official AMXX Plugins on a Repository + License?
Reply With Quote #3

Thank you for the response, fysiks. That is a specific type of answer I was hoping for.