Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Half-Life 3 confirmed ?

Post New Thread Reply   

Mitchell
~lick~
Old 08-13-2014 , 09:22   Re: Half-Life 3 confirmed ?
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeagLe.Studio View Post
Hey dude, just forget ricochet xD I don't think that VALVe will remake it it wasn't nice game
I was referencing when the guys from reddit /v/ had an interview with Gabe, they asked if ricochet 2 was going to be made on the new engine, gabe said yes. I was referencing this link
I guess during the interview it was just a codename for hl3 saying ricochet 2.

Last edited by Mitchell; 08-13-2014 at 09:22.
Backstabnoob
Veteran Member
Old 08-13-2014 , 10:30   Re: Half-Life 3 confirmed ?
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell View Post
i thought ricochet was going to be re-mastered onto Source 2, being the first game with it?

Valve has never followed normal business techniques though?
Valve has always followed normal business techniques, they're just good at disgusing them so you as an end user don't notice them.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-13-2014 , 10:33   Re: Half-Life 3 confirmed ?
Reply With Quote #13

On another subject, does the new Hammer in the DOTA2 Workshop Alpha use FGD files? I'm wondering if it's possible to start working with it for games other than DOTA2 (despite them not supporting the new format yet).

Then again, I haven't looked at Hammer2 yet.
~lick~
Old 08-13-2014 , 10:41   Re: Half-Life 3 confirmed ?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
On another subject, does the new Hammer in the DOTA2 Workshop Alpha use FGD files? I'm wondering if it's possible to start working with it for games other than DOTA2 (despite them not supporting the new format yet).

In the video they basically said hammer will look like the WorldEdit from warcraft3 and alien swarm hammer for dota2, meaning theres a top-down view to the map.
Hammer2 gui and mechanics will probably change to look better and not crash as much when you do something wrong. But i don't see it being a top-down view for future games which need to have highly-designed maps, just because it would make map making look more like unity engine and unreal engine. I think the only way it would change would be the compilers to better optimize the map, and possible real-time error showing (making an entity outside the playable map.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstabnoob View Post
Valve has always followed normal business techniques, they're just good at disgusing them so you as an end user don't notice them.
Just keep in mind that Valve and Steam are two different orgs in one company. i.e. just because one is making money doesn't mean the other can relax etc. You usually see some of the programmers devoting 80%/20% to a few projects in a company, but its usually in the same org.
Just think if you were hired to program for a company, you would get confused easily if you had to learn the backend of Steam and the backend of the engine you're coding for.

Last edited by Mitchell; 08-13-2014 at 10:45.
Backstabnoob
Veteran Member
Old 08-13-2014 , 11:05   Re: Half-Life 3 confirmed ?
Reply With Quote #15

What does that have to do with anything? It is still one company that shares the revenue and that company has no reason to waste money, time and resources on a game at this time.

Last edited by Backstabnoob; 08-13-2014 at 11:06.
Mitchell
~lick~
Old 08-13-2014 , 14:01   Re: Half-Life 3 confirmed ?
Reply With Quote #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstabnoob View Post
What does that have to do with anything? It is still one company that shares the revenue and that company has no reason to waste money, time and resources on a game at this time.
What do you mean they don't have the time and resources to work on a game? They don't just pay the devs whenever they want a game made. So what, all the game devs at valve are just working on new updates for tf2, dota2, and cs:go now, they wouldn't put that many devs for an update to a game.

HL2 is potentially a mod for the source engine. I.E. maps, sounds, scripts, materials are all made but a designer.

sources: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBLP...outu.be&t=6m0s
psychonic

BAFFLED
Old 08-14-2014 , 07:42   Re: Half-Life 3 confirmed ?
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post

An fgd would be the least of your issues. Even Source1 Dota 2 (or any game newer than TF2) uses a newer map version with some of the lump formats changed. (Each game really has their own variation). The Source2 format is completely different.