Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?

Post New Thread Reply   

Trini8ed
Old 02-26-2010 , 04:06   Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?
Reply With Quote #1

I know you have heard this question multiple times over and over again, but I have some good hard proof this might be possible (Without Source-Mod Even). So in my research I have decompiled some TF2 CTX weapon files and noticed just a few tiny things that I'm sure you all know of.

Code:
	// Animation.
	"viewmodel"		"models/weapons/v_models/v_smg_sniper.mdl"
	"playermodel"	"models/weapons/w_models/w_smg.mdl"
	"anim_prefix"	"ac"
Now in my editing (Changing the w model) I have been stumped by an md5 checksum.

[IMG]http://img682.**************/img682/7413/testcg.png[/IMG]

This did not stop me, what I did was found a mod that uses the orangebox engine that doesn't md5 checksum it's models which would be called Goleneye:Source as you can see in the picture below I change the w model from the manual shotgun to the auto shotgun.

[IMG]http://img716.**************/img716/9994/hehez.png[/IMG]

So this tells me right here if you can get past the MD5 checksums in TF2 custom skins will work as long as you use a custom model or decompile valves model and change all the textures on it, therefore giving you a custom skin. So after this I decided to see if I could get v models, so all I did was change the v model on the manual shotgun and when I started the game up and as soon as I joined and spawned ge:s crashed. So I started to wonder why this was happing which all of you know v models are client side but when I got this CTX file from my server with the custom model and put it in my client side it worked, but you all know the issue with this. This will permanently change the model the player sees. To solve we would need to change the the CTX file LOADED when the client connects tot he server therefor giving you custom v models. I would not know how to change the CTX file loaded but I'm sure it can be done with a custom source-mod extension.

I would also like to state that all v models are client side w models LIKE player models are server side. The reason no one has ever got custom models to work though editing the CTX file is because of a MD5 checksum that no one bothered to change.

Last edited by Trini8ed; 02-26-2010 at 05:11.
pheadxdll
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-26-2010 , 08:47   Re: Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?
Reply With Quote #2

From what has been discussed in the past, the player models in TF2 are handled client side.
Trini8ed
Old 02-26-2010 , 13:10   Re: Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheadxdll View Post
From what has been discussed in the past, the player models in TF2 are handled client side.
Wrong player models in TF2 are world models therefore are server side v models on the other hand are client side. I have tested this multiple times in TF2. I have changed the spy model with the pyro model on my server and it work I saw a spy instead of a pyro, therefore making players server side.

Last edited by Trini8ed; 02-26-2010 at 20:03. Reason: Replaces client side with server side.
cmptrwz
Old 02-26-2010 , 14:31   Re: Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini8ed View Post
Wrong player models in TF2 are world models therefore are server side v models on the other hand are client side. I have tested this multiple times in TF2. I have changed the spy model with the pyro model on my server and it work I saw a spy instead of a pyro, therefore making players client side.
Ummmm..........

*blinks*

You say it is server side, then turn around and say it is client side?
Regis
Old 02-26-2010 , 15:47   Re: Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?
Reply With Quote #5

V_models are clientside and cannot be changed on client without hassle.

W_models can be changed on everyone quite easily though for a specific player is trickier.

C_models, the method the unlocks use, shares the same model for both the view and world model, so for these models you can effectively alter the viewmodel.
Trini8ed
Old 02-26-2010 , 19:58   Re: Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrwz View Post
Ummmm..........

*blinks*

You say it is server side, then turn around and say it is client side?
Yes w models are server side v models are client side...
cmptrwz
Old 02-27-2010 , 13:31   Re: Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trini8ed View Post
Yes w models are server side v models are client side...
No no, you said:

Quote:
Wrong player models in TF2 are world models therefore are server side
and then a moment later:

Quote:
I have changed the spy model with the pyro model on my server and it work I saw a spy instead of a pyro, therefore making players client side.
So you are saying that players are both server side AND client side. Which can't be correct.

Also, there is a lot of evidence that player models are at least partially determined client side, if only because of spy disguises.
EHG
Old 03-01-2010 , 09:46   Re: Custom Skins In TF2 Solved?
Reply With Quote #8

Actually the correct answer is quite different. Many features in TF2 rely on the ctx files. Player models ARE controlled client side. After they are loaded there is no possible way you can change them by server influence.
However this ctx dependency is the key. By editing the ctx file to point to a different model you are effectively making the client load said model.
Of course as stated before, after loading this custom model it is again controlled client side and cannot be altered after loading.

This is why the correct answer is "Player models are controlled client side after loading"

PS
Valve has changed ctx dependency so many times (and broke it many times) that I am not sure how long this method will last. Right now the server ctx file can override certain aspects of the client ctx. I remember a time back when both the client and server ctx had to be changed to the same thing to have any effect. Only time will tell I guess.