Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Solved Can I send clients files that don't exist on a fastdl server?

Post New Thread Reply   

Sappykun
Old 05-19-2021 , 14:07   Can I send clients files that don't exist on a fastdl server?
Reply With Quote #1

The answer to "will the game server try to send the client the files manually" is "no".

Spoiler

Last edited by Sappykun; 11-26-2021 at 15:13.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 05-22-2021 , 12:43   Re: Can I send clients files that don't exist on a fastdl server?
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sappykun View Post
If I do not copy the files to the fastdl server, will the game server try to send the client the files manually after the fastdl server fails to send the file?
Yes, assuming the client has in-game downloads enabled (cl_allowdownload / sv_allowupload)
Old 05-23-2021 , 04:04   Re: Can I send clients files that don't exist on a fastdl server?
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkin View Post
Yes, assuming the client has in-game downloads enabled (cl_allowdownload / sv_allowupload)
I've been observing the opposite. I have an HTTP server running on the same machine as my game server.
When I create the files, add them to the downloads table, then have someone join the game, they do not get the files.
When I make a symlink from the directory the files are stored in to an equivalent spot on the fastdl server, THEN have someone join, they are able to receive the files.

Making a symlink is trivial in my use case, but it means that other users who have a separate fastdl server from the game server won't be able to use my plugin without some kind of external network syncing tool.

If sv_downloadurl is set, does that effectively disable downloading directly from the server itself?

Last edited by Sappykun; 05-23-2021 at 04:12.