Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

SpinHack false detection?

Post New Thread Reply   

jackliu92
Old 09-11-2011 , 14:39   SpinHack false detection?
Reply With Quote #1

Running Team Fortress 2. Version:
Code:
Protocol version 17
         Exe version 1.1.7.3 (tf)
         Exe build: 21:18:19 Aug 25 2011 (4659) (440)
SM version:
Code:
   SourceMod Version Information:
             SourceMod Version: 1.3.8
             SourcePawn Engine: SourcePawn 1.1, jit-x86 (build 1.3.8)
             SourcePawn API: v1 = 4, v2 = 3
             Compiled on: Jun 24 2011 17:51:37
             Build ID: 3157:cf41e7301d55
             http://www.sourcemod.net/
SMAC version [It should be the r222 dev one]:
Code:
"smac_version" = "0.0.5.9"
          notify
          - SMAC version

These few days I have seen players were banned due to spinhack. According to one of my friends who was playing on the server, one of the player did not act like these crazy CS spinhackers, and he was playin as pyro. Their K ratio is very normal.

I have also checked their Steam ID on google, their ID never been banned before. Also they have other VAC-Enabled games on their Steam account.

1st, I do not think anyone with hack would like to play as pyro.
2nd, If they were spinning crazy, I am sure ppl will yell WTF, or something like that on the server. I only see ppl asking "whats spin hack" after one of them was banned.
3rd, Since TF2 is free, I do not think anyone would like to risk their main Steam account for hacking.

How does Spinhack detection work on SMAC???
Old 09-11-2011 , 14:44   Re: SpinHack false detection?
Reply With Quote #2

The next release will disable auto-banning on the spinhack module and only allow logging/warning admins. It needs some work.
MrBen
SourceMod Donor
Old 09-11-2011 , 15:46   Re: SpinHack false detection?
Reply With Quote #3

Hi God-Tony.

Didn't mean to hijack Jacks thread really, but I just registered to thank Kigen for his past work, and now you for the awesome work you are doing with the ongoing development of SMAC.

We use SMAC on 6 community TF2 servers and have done so for about 3 months now. It's been on a 3 months trial with most settings at warn only, but it hasn't stepped a foot wrong in that time, so we've finally switched the auto banning on.

As always seems to be the case with these things, unless its going wrong you rarely hear from users, but I am sure there are many happy but silent users out there like us who are very grateful for all the hard work you put in to this.

I know you don't have much feedback from TF2 server users, but so far so good, and I'll start posting feedback on future releases if it helps.

BTW. The (space)name exploit is a problem and it bypasses SMAC - had fun trying to kick a a group of about 5 players the other day who were using it to clone our regular players.

Thanks again and keep up the good work!

Edited to add: In case any TF2 server owners are reading this - we use SMAC with everything enabled except the wallhack module (too CPU intensive which effects server performance), but we have a good sv_pure setup instead.

Cheers
MrBen

Last edited by MrBen; 09-11-2011 at 16:05.
jackliu92
Old 09-11-2011 , 23:05   Re: SpinHack false detection?
Reply With Quote #4

Thank you for your reply! I am looking forward for a better spinhack detection.

And Yes, SMAC is a good Anti-Cheat for TF2, I have seen different cheaters getting ban by SMAC, which is great. I heard from my friends other TF2 server has speedhackers, thx to SMAC speedhacking never happened on my server. I have everything enabled and auto-ban except Spinhack(just changed) and anti-wallhack.
Old 09-12-2011 , 13:40   Re: SpinHack false detection?
Reply With Quote #5

Good to hear it's working in the TF2 world!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBen View Post
BTW. The (space)name exploit is a problem and it bypasses SMAC - had fun trying to kick a a group of about 5 players the other day who were using it to clone our regular players.
This should be blocked in the latest release.