Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Solved What is the difference between 'ByteCountToCells' and 'char'?

Post New Thread Reply   

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-03-2023 , 02:27   Re: What is the difference between 'ByteCountToCells' and' char '?
Reply With Quote #11

Also of note is that Line 1438 of sc3.c is the same calculation that is performed in ByteCountToCells() except that some values are hard coded in one but not the other (which isn't really relevant since the values will never be different).

Last edited by fysiks; 11-03-2023 at 02:27.
Bugsy
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 11-03-2023 , 21:58   Re: What is the difference between 'ByteCountToCells' and 'char'?
Reply With Quote #12

AMX-X's string natives do not support compressed strings. Just use regular arrays, as fysiks said, memory is abundant -- it's not 1995 anymore.

What exactly are you tryin to do/optimize?
Old 11-04-2023 , 01:55   Re: What is the difference between 'ByteCountToCells' and' char '?
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
Also of note is that Line 1438 of sc3.c is the same calculation that is performed in ByteCountToCells() except that some values are hard coded in one but not the other (which isn't really relevant since the values will never be different).
Can you see what 'char' did to the variable (non constant)? When I was testing, the calculation result of 'char' was different from ByteCountToCells and looked irregular.
PHP Code:
new var = 255;
server_print("[AMXX]%d != %d", var char255 char);
server_print("[AMXX]%d == %d"ByteCountToCells(var), 255 char); 
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 11-04-2023 , 21:15   Re: What is the difference between 'ByteCountToCells' and' char '?
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leech_v2 View Post
Can you see what 'char' did to the variable (non constant)? When I was testing, the calculation result of 'char' was different from ByteCountToCells and looked irregular.
PHP Code:
new var = 255;
server_print("[AMXX]%d != %d", var char255 char);
server_print("[AMXX]%d == %d"ByteCountToCells(var), 255 char); 
This is what I got (on Linux):

Code:
[AMXX]64 != 64
[AMXX]64 == 64
I don't have any Windows computers anymore so I can't test on Windows.

FYI, I found that a really old version of the Pawn Language Guide does have "char" documented. Might be worth taking a look: https://github.com/compuphase/pawn/b.../pawn-lang.pdf. I don't know specifically which version of Pawn they incorporated into AMX Mod X so I can't say if "char" is actually officially a feature (it doesn't appear so in the latest version).

Also, to reiterate what Bugsy said, all of this is basically a complete waste of time as there is no good reason that I can think of to use packed strings.

Last edited by fysiks; 11-04-2023 at 21:16.