12% 

Account ban

Post New Thread Reply   

claudiuhks
Yam Inside®™℠
Old 09-19-2012 , 09:11   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #21

Oh God... Two accounts are not allowed!
By the way YamiKaitou, if you are an administrator you may check how many accounts a person has with a performant Geoip module for PHP. Is the administrators responsability to ensure that a person has just one account. I know it is impossible, but there is nothing to do about. It is an international forum and Europe is full of changable addresses.
Just apply the rules, nothing else to say. That is all.

Last edited by claudiuhks; 09-19-2012 at 09:11.
Send a message via MSN to claudiuhks Send a message via Yahoo to claudiuhks Send a message via Skype™ to claudiuhks
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 09-19-2012 , 14:50   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudiuhks View Post
By the way YamiKaitou, if you are an administrator you may check how many accounts a person has with a performant Geoip module for PHP.
I am only a Moderator. I have already checked the IPs using the Moderator CP. No duplicates, just similar IPs.

Quote:
Is the administrators responsability to ensure that a person has just one account.
I didn't realize they had that responsibility.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).

Last edited by YamiKaitou; 09-19-2012 at 14:50.
claudiuhks
Yam Inside®™℠
Old 09-19-2012 , 16:25   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #23

It is not balanced to ban a person for having a non-Steam server at his signature and leave one thousand of others having it. It would be better you, the staff, to check everyone.
About having many accounts, of course you have to check them too, if you want balance between members.

Law = Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamiKaitou View Post
I didn't realize they had that responsibility.
I don't know exactly whether they have this responsability, but if you say that you, the staff, are respecting the law so much it would be better to.

Last edited by claudiuhks; 09-19-2012 at 16:29.
Send a message via MSN to claudiuhks Send a message via Yahoo to claudiuhks Send a message via Skype™ to claudiuhks
Mavrick4283
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2012 , 16:54   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #24

Quote:
It is not balanced to ban a person for having a non-Steam server at his signature and leave one thousand of others having it. It would be better you, the staff, to check everyone.
About having many accounts, of course you have to check them too, if you want balance between members.

Law = Balance

I don't know exactly whether they have this responsability, but if you say that you, the staff, are respecting the law so much it would be better to.
Remember that the staff here are not getting payed, and they do not read every single of the posts or sigs, so if you see non-steam in a sig or post press the report button and they will take care of it if it is needed.

Also i would like to point out that this is not a court of law.....so ya some times it is not 100% fair but from what i have seen the admins here do enforce the rules if some one brings it to their attention.
Old 09-19-2012 , 17:02   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #25

I personally only look when I detect a possible duplicate account. I do not go out of my way to check every user. If a user has many IPs, I get a 500 error when I try to search them all. The vBulletin Moderator CP is limited, Administrators can do more than I can. If I were to solely rely on IPs to detect duplicate accounts, then I would have to consider my account to be a duplicate (even though the other user created their account long after I did and has been inactive for almost a year) since I see 2 accounts posting on the same IP as one of mine (it is a NATed corporate IP, so I know it is not a duplicate account). A simple IP search is not enough to detect a duplicate account. It is all the Moderators have to go by, but it is not enough to justify it. We must rely on other evidence as well (such as self-accusations as in this case) or report it to an Administrator for further investigation.

As for your comment about Non-Steam servers in signatures, I personally do not check every server I see. I will only check them if the situation calls for it or a user has reported it. Until then, I assume they are legit servers.

I do not browse the forums regularly anymore. If you need me for anything (asking questions or anything else), then PM me (be descriptive in your PM, message containing only a link to a thread will be ignored).
claudiuhks
Yam Inside®™℠
Old 09-19-2012 , 17:03   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #26

If this is not entirely fair, I don't think it is law.
It is paid and not payed and you are wrong here. They should not get any payment from someone to apply these rules.

It's just my point of view, I don't want to start any conflict on these forums. I just registered to take some informations about scripting.

Last edited by claudiuhks; 09-19-2012 at 17:05.
micapat
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2012 , 17:13   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #27

Personally, each time that I see a signature, it's often a non-steam server ( > 90 % ? ).

Last edited by micapat; 09-19-2012 at 17:13.
YamiKaitou
Has a lovely bunch of coconuts
Old 09-19-2012 , 17:20   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #28

The only laws that we have here are any US Laws, Sate of California Laws, and International Laws recognized and enforceable by the US. Unless any of the violations are brought to our attention, we do not have the time to seek them out.

Our rules are not law, just guidelines that we can enforce in this virtual world.

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 09-19-2012 , 19:13   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #29

Quote:
It is paid and not payed and you are wrong here. They should not get any payment from someone to apply these rules.
I can't really understand your poor english for the first sentence but I'm pretty sure I don't like what you mean. Nobody here is paid. Have you ever taken an economics course and learned about opportuntiy costs?
Old 09-20-2012 , 09:05   Re: Account ban
Reply With Quote #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
I can't really understand your poor english for the first sentence but I'm pretty sure I don't like what you mean. Nobody here is paid. Have you ever taken an economics course and learned about opportuntiy costs?
I think he is just trying to correct his grammar.

Accepting all kinds of requests via private message.