Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Is there a way to turn server NO lagg?

Post New Thread Reply   

Ingram
Veteran Member
Old 02-02-2007 , 01:44   Re: Is there a way to turn server NO lagg?
Reply With Quote #81

This is my last attempt to help. His computer is (most likely) fine. It should be able to run the server and more. I used to run and play on a tfc server on a p2 450mhz. Don't believe me? I don't care. He can play fine with himself and bots, but not when other people join, this points to a network issue. He has a hub, and if you know a thing or two about networking (or ever tried to play a LAN game with a hub) you'd know thats a bad idea. I have told him twice to get rid of it, but he never listened. So once again I don't care. I am simply saying this because you guys are (most likely) wasting your time going in the wrong direction. (Have you ever got lost in the desert? Going the wrong direction is a bad idea.) Yeah I guess I am not helping him at all, just everyone trying to help him.

And a few quick computer things, as far as I know, windows does not use anything like hda1, it uses multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) and I forget another one..., %systemdrive% is whatever drive the operating system boots from, and Windows does dual boot, as long as you install it first (and don't do something like install Windows 2000 on a computer running Windows XP, I forget how I even fixed this).

Secondly, P4s suck... seriously. I'm not saying I don't use one, but I'll put this into perspective for you. I have a laptop running a M 2.0ghz, a desktop running a P4 3.0ghz w/ ht, and a server running a 2.4ghz Xeon dual core. Converting a single video (so the ht and dual core don't even apply) the laptop and desktop finish after about the same amount of time, the server does it in half the time. A centrino processor tried with a P4 with a 1.0ghz higher clock rate, and the Xeon left them both in the dust. As well, if you use a P3 vs. a P4 at the same clock rate, the P3 (to my knowledge) will win.

Finally, a dual core processor will make no difference when running only a server.
Lord_Destros
Veteran Member
Old 02-02-2007 , 20:54   Re: Is there a way to turn server NO lagg?
Reply With Quote #82

The ONLY a (Single) server is the keyword. Seeing how he is hosting it himself (and plays on the same computer) he doesn't run a single application so dual core in this case would help.

Also, how did the dual core arguement even make it to this thread (I don't have mouse batteries so I'm too lazy to wait half an hour to tab back or use the number pad).
Send a message via AIM to Lord_Destros
Ingram
Veteran Member
Old 02-03-2007 , 00:37   Re: Is there a way to turn server NO lagg?
Reply With Quote #83

Read the post before mine, the reference was to only running a server...