Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Source Code Release

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

BAILOPAN
Old 12-25-2004 , 08:11   Source Code Release

As a Christmas present to the mod development community, I have decided to publically open the SourceMod source code.

You can view the public CVS repository by Clicking Here. Anonymous CVS is not planned yet.

While SourceMod will compile and run, it's not at the point where we'd like to release. The current code (about 8-10K lines) is considered a foundation framework for what we hoped to achieve irrelevant of the HL2SDK quality. This code is provided so developers can see inside the architecture we're developing.

A few notes on the source code. It's a decently complicated architecture and I won't attempt to explain it here. In a few days I will post an in-depth article about how SourceMod works, because once you get a feel for it, it's a very cool environment with huge potential for customization and embedding.

You will find a sample module in sourcemod/core/demos.

You will find the license in sourcemod/LICENSE.txt, which is very important. The intent of the license is to be like the GPL, except to restrict distribution to make forking impossible. It is our intent to move to a dual GPL/MPL license when SourceMod is released as a product... for now we don't want people running off before we've had a chance to release.

And an addendum:
One last-minute change we made was moving the actual configuration of SourceMod to an implementable plugin system. This means that, simply by swapping DLLs, you can use either an AMX Mod style setup or a web interface setup. Or you can develop your own method... this was to solve the problem that many game hosts will not allow a daemon running and not everyone has access to an Apache/MySQL setup. After all, SourceMod is all about massive customization.

Compiling:
Do not post compiled binaries on these forums, feel free to distribute them elsewhere. You will need Microsoft Visual C++ 7.1 (unless you convert the project files to 6.0), and NASM (Netwide Assembler), as some portions of SourceMod are written in assembly. SourceMod probably won't compile on linux yet, if it does, you will need gcc-3.4.1 and NASM/YASM.

Anyway, enjoy, and Merry Christmas

A special thanks to PM OnoTo for his dedication and SniperBeamer for keeping the forums safe and secure.
Old 12-25-2004 , 12:09  

hurrah, first post

Merry Christmas everyone!
Kamikizzle
Old 12-25-2004 , 14:15  

hehe, the day I get the game too, man, today just may be my day..

:leans back in his new leather computer chair and it falls apart:
imported_Dubie
Old 12-25-2004 , 19:05  

Hell Yeah ! ! !
Thanks a lot...

Merry Christmas to everyone as well.

Peace,
Dubie
detain
Old 12-26-2004 , 05:37   Compiling in linux ?

Wouldnt you need the SDK in linux ? As far as i can tell you cant get the SDK via the linux steam client, so im assuming the sdk isnt currently available for linux at least not directly. Can you just copy it over from a windows install and use the same files in linux?
Send a message via AIM to detain
Downtown1
Veteran Member
Old 12-26-2004 , 13:49  

Cool BAIL! Merry Christmas indeed .
PM
hello, i am pm
Old 12-27-2004 , 11:09  

that's a hell of a job

thumbs up to the dev team
PepsiCola
Old 12-27-2004 , 17:22  

how do you run this on servers?
Dygear
SourceMod Donor
Old 12-27-2004 , 17:31  

Yay. Now no stealing Source code and passing it off as your own kiddies.
Old 12-27-2004 , 17:36  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dygear
Yay. Now no stealing Source code and passing it off as your own kiddies.
But it works so well .. look at SAP for an example of THAT..
Send a message via AIM to Manip
Closed Thread