Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

CSGO uses only 1 core?

Post New Thread Reply   

PresidentEvil
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-05-2015 , 23:28   CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #1

So today my JB server started getting random lag(lasting from 1-10 minutes). I open a ticket and they tell me "You are maxing a core using that server. You'll need to trim your plugins or consider running at a lower tickrate."

Which is interesting because before moving to NFO I was on a E3-1271 box and we never had this issue.

Support: Gmod is single-threaded as far as that goes. One server will use at most one core.
Me: all of our servers are csgo
Support: Sorry for the confusion. The same thing applies to that game also, they can only use one core each. If the core they are on is maxed out, you need to reduce the load that server is generating. You are already on very high end hardware, so we couldn't just put you on something faster to resolve it.

In the NFO panel is says:

"Your server is currently being hosted on a 10 cores of a Dual Intel Xeon E5-2697v3 (Haswell 2.6ghz) node with 10 total processor cores and 10 gigabytes of RAM. The database code for this node is chicago-virtual-sgvds; its OS is Linux."

My theory is that 2.6 Ghz cores are not enough for SRCDS to run smoothly on this VDS, which would explain why my servers had no CPU core maxing issues when they were on the E3-1271 3.6 Ghz dedicated box.

So I'm planning to upgrade to a E3-1271v3 3.6 GHz dedicated machine and hopes this resolves it, if it doesn't how do I tell what plugin is causing high CPU usage.

Last edited by PresidentEvil; 05-05-2015 at 23:39.
Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 05-06-2015 , 00:13   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #2

Plugins that make an obscene or absurd number of function calls or process lots of data (the latter you should be able to guess somewhat intuitively based on what plugins you installed) would cause high CPU ranges.

As for numerically determining what plugins are using how much CPU, I don't think SM has a way to do that (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

The last support answer is bullshit IMO. 3.6 GHz should do the trick; 2.6 GHz seems like pretty low clock speed. I for one run my srcds on an i7 processor at 3.4 GHz and it does fine.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-06-2015 , 00:52   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #3

Source games tend to stick primarily to a single core.
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-06-2015 , 13:17   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
The last support answer is bullshit IMO. 3.6 GHz should do the trick; 2.6 GHz seems like pretty low clock speed. I for one run my srcds on an i7 processor at 3.4 GHz and it does fine.
They used to use E5 2690v2 IB chips which is 10 cores at 3.0Ghz. Seems like they decided to use the E5 2697v3 chips for their new machines. I think they tried to lower costs by movimg from 10 core chips to 14 core chips. More cores per physical box = more VPSes per box = lower cost for them since they colo their stuff I think. I don't know if the 5-15% per core improvement in Haswell over IB makes up for the lower clock speed. I guess I'll find out.
PatriotGames
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-06-2015 , 15:08   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #5

Same Processor is used for VDS at NFO Seattle Premium location:

Code:
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 63
model name      : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2697 v3 @ 2.60GHz
Note that this processor is a v3 with 14 cores and 28 threads. Maximum single core burst frequency is 3.6GHz if turbo boost is enabled.

Last edited by PatriotGames; 05-06-2015 at 15:30.
leszektojatak
BANNED
Old 05-08-2015 , 06:30   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #6

maybe add to start line

taskset -c

and add numbers of cores serch in google example
Send a message via Skype™ to leszektojatak
mlov420
Old 05-08-2015 , 12:26   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #7

I recently put in a ticket with NFO asking very similar questions because I have a 64 slot server that is using a shit ton of resources and I'm trying to find a solid solution for it. Here is exactly what their CEO John responded to me after the ticket ended up being elevated to him.

Quote:

NFOservers.com Support <[email protected]>
Apr 30 (8 days ago)

to me
Michael,

In contrast to what Brendan said, I am highly doubtful that you would see any difference between using a new 2-core VDS and running this server on an existing VDS. Unless your old VDS was overloaded, there is just no reason that individual cores on a new one would be faster.

You should definitely not be assigning a large CS:GO server to a single core. CS:GO is a bit multithreaded and large servers can use up to 200% CPU, which is two cores -- restrict them to one, and you halve the performance.

Thanks,
John
Founder/President
So there is a direct quote from John the CEO of Nuclear Fallout.

My initial question was asking: If I purchase a 2 core VDS solely used by this 1 (64 slot) server, should I see better performance than if I was running it on a multi-core VDS that also had other servers on it.
PresidentEvil
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-08-2015 , 15:59   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlov420 View Post
I recently put in a ticket with NFO asking very similar questions because I have a 64 slot server that is using a shit ton of resources and I'm trying to find a solid solution for it. Here is exactly what their CEO John responded to me after the ticket ended up being elevated to him.

So there is a direct quote from John the CEO of Nuclear Fallout.

My initial question was asking: If I purchase a 2 core VDS solely used by this 1 (64 slot) server, should I see better performance than if I was running it on a multi-core VDS that also had other servers on it.
im on a 10 core vds that only has 9 csgo servers running on it, how would I assign a server 2 cores?
ocwoody
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-08-2015 , 17:06   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PresidentEvil View Post
im on a 10 core vds that only has 9 csgo servers running on it, how would I assign a server 2 cores?
This depends if you're on a managed or unmanaged VDS with NFO. If you are on an unmanaged VDS then you can set the processor affinity for the csgo process, various free tools can do this. If you're on a managed VDS then there's nothing you can do, NFO handles it on their end.

mlov420
Old 05-09-2015 , 23:39   Re: CSGO uses only 1 core?
Reply With Quote #10

Is 9 servers on 10 cores what NFO is allowing you to max out at right now, or can you still get more servers out of that machine?