Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

L4D2: How to detect a passed vote to restart campaign?

Post New Thread Reply   

NgBUCKWANGS
Old 10-04-2016 , 14:17   L4D2: How to detect a passed vote to restart campaign?
Reply With Quote #1

A friend laid out the foundation to a pretty nice plugin and I've been hacking at it and got it to a point I'd like to release it on here. There's still many things I'd like to do with it but at the moment there is what I consider a show stopping bug that occurs when a vote to restart (passing) happens.

Basically, I'm tracking some information in which a vote to restart will always pollute making that captured information unreliable. I pretty much have everything nailed to get this started but that damn campaign restart I can't figure out.

I'm beyond new to SourcePawn with my only background being in Python and Bash. I'm really hacking at it though and fixed it up nicely, I really need some help. I'd appreciate an example if you have the time or anything you think will help.

Thanks!
Spirit_12
Veteran Member
Old 10-04-2016 , 17:23   Re: L4D2: How to detect a passed vote to restart campaign?
Reply With Quote #2

You have provided no explanation of what the plugin is about. You would have a much better luck, if you provide more details, as opposed making a shot in the dark.
Old 10-05-2016 , 02:15   Re: L4D2: How to detect a passed vote to restart campaign?
Reply With Quote #3

Please provide additional info so the gods of l4d2 plugin development may be of assistance.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-05-2016 , 08:11   Re: L4D2: How to detect a passed vote to restart campaign?
Reply With Quote #4

L4D2 uses UserMessages to tell clients when votes start and end.

if you want to catch when a Restart vote passes:

PHP Code:
#define L4D_VOTE_RESTART_PASSED                "#L4D_vote_passed_restart_game"

public void OnPluginStart()
{

// other startup stuff here

HookUserMessage(GetUserMessageId("VotePass"), Msg_VotePassed);
}

public 
Action Msg_VotePassed(UserMsg msg_idBfRead msg, const int[] playersint playersNumbool reliablebool init)
{

char title[255];

char details[255];

int team msg.ReadByte();

msg.ReadString(titlesizeof(title));

msg.ReadString(detailssizeof(details));

if (
StrEqual(titleL4D_VOTE_RESTART_PASSED))
    {

// Your logic for if a restart vote passed here

}

Note: I haven't tested this, even to see if it compiles.

Note 2: This will definitely not work on any other game, including L4D1.

Last edited by Powerlord; 10-05-2016 at 08:15.
NgBUCKWANGS
Old 10-05-2016 , 10:13   Re: L4D2: How to detect a passed vote to restart campaign?
Reply With Quote #5

Fellas, I did intend on releasing the plugin and just did so here https://forums.alliedmods.net/showth...52#post2459352 I didn't think explaining the idea was important and figured I'd ask what I needed which is how to check if the campaign restarted. The source and plugin are at the link if you'd like to look them over.

I thank you all for your time spent here. Powerlord, thanks for that code, it's a better starting point than where I was. It's appreciated!
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-05-2016 , 21:42   Re: L4D2: How to detect a passed vote to restart campaign?
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NgBUCKWANGS View Post
Fellas, I did intend on releasing the plugin and just did so here https://forums.alliedmods.net/showth...52#post2459352 I didn't think explaining the idea was important and figured I'd ask what I needed which is how to check if the campaign restarted. The source and plugin are at the link if you'd like to look them over.

I thank you all for your time spent here. Powerlord, thanks for that code, it's a better starting point than where I was. It's appreciated!
I should note that this was new-style syntax. It'd look slightly different in old-style syntax.
Veteran Member
Old 01-08-2018 , 23:15   Re: L4D2: How to detect a passed vote to restart campaign?
Reply With Quote #7

That method didn't really work for me. You got any other suggestions?