Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

L4D2, 6 Slots, 4 public, 2 private, Linux dedicated, a Setup.

Post New Thread Reply   

NgBUCKWANGS
Old 12-18-2014 , 06:20   L4D2, 6 Slots, 4 public, 2 private, Linux dedicated, a Setup.
Reply With Quote #1

This is not a walk-through, it is a summary of what I did to get what I needed.

I've bust my ass the last couple days trying to get something setup. I'm not interested in mods that change game-play. I'm only interested in setting up a server I can bend to my will for an event I'd like to create. The final setup should all take place on a truly dedicated server but I'd like to go in to that knowing what I need upfront.

You'd think you wouldn't need Metamod and/or SourceMod.
I didn't want to deal with them and it turns out I needed them. I only wanted to use a pure srcds setup and I was deadly serious about it. I figured "hey, change a variable from 4 to 6, should be easy right?" It's not gonna happen and this is where Metamod and SourceMod save the day.

I've needed a few extras from this site and have so far enabled a 6 man server. The first 4 slots are public and should be first come first serve (no one in those slots should ever get kicked). The 2 extra slots are for spectators including 1 admin and 1 for anybody.

The point of this post.
Something no one tells you about running a Source Dedicated server is how antiquated, archaic almost barbaric the technology feels. There is very little to almost no solid documentation for administrators. If you want documentation, use your favorite search engine. There is no one manual for the journey into srcds hell. This post is a gripe and I'm gonna share what I've learned to get my setup so far (also so I can find this post when I'm Googling this shit all over again).

I'm not gonna mess around with version numbers because they're just an unnecessary ridiculous evil when doing this. Just hope the "latest" versions work out for you otherwise use your favorite search engine :'(

You're gonna need SourceMod and Metamod
You're gonna need the following extras
Right click and "Save link as" to -> addons/sourcemod/scripting/
server.cfg
Code:
sv_maxplayers 6
sv_visiblemaxplayers 6
sm_reserved_slots 1
sm_hide_slots 0
Edit addons/sourcemod/configs/admins_simple.ini
  • append your steam ID and "99:z" e.g., "STEAM_1:0:0000000" "99:z"

Restart the server when you get the chance and pray to god you have not wiped out a country of innocent people. If all goes well you should be able to directly connect to your server once it is full. If you're unable to join your server but you know there's an open slot e.g., 4/6 try connect ip-address:port from the game console you pull up with `

Caveats
  • If 3 people are playing and I'm spectating (4 total), a 4th pub will never connect, so far no luck (workaround is, leave the server and reconnect when a 4th has joined). It sucks.
  • I cannot hear the players talk, supposedly this is by design, I'm looking into it
  • The Left 4 Downtown link above didn't work on Linux for me. I'll attach my working copy (0.5.7).

PS
If you're not a vampire troll and you're into Linux and setting up srcds with Metamod and SourceMod and you like Left 4 Dead 2 and you're not looking to be fed answers on setting up your server and are willing to bust your ass to get the answers, friend me, I feel the same way, I'm Ng BUCKWANGS λ
Attached Files
File Type: zip left4downtown2-v0.5.7.zip (118.8 KB, 88 views)