Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers

Post New Thread Reply   

Carbonzxc
Old 08-31-2016 , 04:22   Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #1

Hello,

Im wondering how many hlds (counter strike 1.6) servers can i run with 2gb ram, 2.4ghz single core cpu and ssd disk;

How many slots ? Like 2x32 or 4x20 etc. ?

Im going to buy a VPS and servers will be classic, deathrun, gungame etc. So that modes depends on your answers (maybe 2gb ram can handle 2 server (with 32 slot) or maybe 5 server (with 15 slot))

Thanks !
Cooky
Veteran Member
Old 08-31-2016 , 07:31   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #2

1 server per core... so... 1 gameserver maybe.
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 08-31-2016 , 07:56   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooky View Post
1 server per core... so... 1 gameserver maybe.
That's a wrong assumption. That's like saying you aren't able to run Google Chrome, Skype, Notepad and Counter-Strike at once because you don't have 4 cores (or threads) available.

If the core is powerful enough it can handle multiple HLDS instances.

@Carbonzxc,
CPU clock is not the only measurement that tells how does that CPU perform. The actual CPU model would be very welcome.

Last edited by klippy; 08-31-2016 at 08:00.
Carbonzxc
Old 08-31-2016 , 08:50   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by KliPPy View Post
That's a wrong assumption. That's like saying you aren't able to run Google Chrome, Skype, Notepad and Counter-Strike at once because you don't have 4 cores (or threads) available.

If the core is powerful enough it can handle multiple HLDS instances.

@Carbonzxc,
CPU clock is not the only measurement that tells how does that CPU perform. The actual CPU model would be very welcome.
sure, here cpu infos and model

Xeon E5v3 @ 2.4 GHz
Carbonzxc
Old 09-04-2016 , 10:54   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #5

My topic updated,

Because im going to order a vps and i wanna know how many servers can i run..
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 09-04-2016 , 12:33   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonzxc View Post
Hello,

Im wondering how many hlds (counter strike 1.6) servers can i run with 2gb ram, 2.4ghz single core cpu and ssd disk;

How many slots ? Like 2x32 or 4x20 etc. ?

Im going to buy a VPS and servers will be classic, deathrun, gungame etc. So that modes depends on your answers (maybe 2gb ram can handle 2 server (with 32 slot) or maybe 5 server (with 15 slot))

Thanks !
Do a load test to know exactly how much you may run. Initially do 2048 / 512 = 4 servers within 32 players.
May be 5 server within 32.
May you your cpu cannot handle much pressure. Then just 3 or 4.
May it can then 6 or 7 servers within 32 players.

You may try to do the load test with podbots, but they consume heavy cpu. May be you cpu can just handle one server within 32 podbots, but 4 within 32 players.
The czero bots are very light-weighted against the podbots, may be they are equivalent to a player cpu usage.
Then try to do the load test within 7 servers within 32 czero bots.

Restarting your server dayly should help within the HLDS memory leak and save your server ran memory.
Does your server have swap/virtual memory? How much? It will be needed when the HLDS leak enough memory which does not fit on your RAM anymore. But I do not know if multiple HLDS servers can be handled with virtual memory fine. Just a load test to know for sure. Let them eat and became bigger, then swap, and see how the performance goes.

Support me on Patreon, Ko-fi, Liberapay or Open Collective

Last edited by addons_zz; 09-04-2016 at 12:40. Reason: update
klippy
AlliedModders Donor
Old 09-04-2016 , 15:47   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by addons_zz View Post
Restarting your server dayly should help within the HLDS memory leak and save your server ran memory.
(This statement may not be true)
I think that HLDS pre-allocates and manages its memory, meaning that it should never take (much) more system memory after hours of running than it did at startup. But you still want to restart it to free up that badly managed memory, because the server will crash if it feels up anyway (was its name hunk?)

Also, OP, plugins you will run on your server are a factor too. There are some more CPU demanding mods and plugins, so take that into account.
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 09-04-2016 , 18:26   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #8

I just said it because if I recall correctly from some time ago...

When I just started my server, it took up to 120 mb RAM.
And some other time after let it run from some days, I got it within something like 500 mb ram usage.

Potato Uno
Veteran Member
Old 09-05-2016 , 22:55   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #9

A 1 core CPU is only going to let you run 1 server. Regardless of KliPPy's statement, that 1 core has to handle the OS processes AND that server you want to run. If you run 2 servers, you are guaranteed lag in some form unless each server has 2 players on each or something very low performance demanding.

You generally want 1 CPU core per server although if you are tight on money you MIGHT get away with 2 per CPU core but no more. A CPU core can only act upon one process thread at a time (be it the OS processes or your server).

And restarting the server once every 24 hours is good practice unless you have CPU usage limitations.
addons_zz
Veteran Member
Old 09-06-2016 , 08:39   Re: Ram, Cpu Limits for Multiple 1.6 Servers
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potato Uno View Post
A 1 core CPU is only going to let you run 1 server.
This could be true for source mod games, but for goldsrc I do not think so. A good OS, the OS purpose is only to offer to the applications whatever they need to run. I am assuming his OS is minimal and to do so. Then his OS should not expend/use his CPU time beyond what it does need to accomplish what does his application (HLDS) needs to do.

His CPU within 2.4 GHz can handle 2.400.000.000 (billions calculations per second). Sadly of course this for performance does not mean shit, it does stills need a good CPU architecture, a good pipe line, good cache usage, good ram access, etc, ... assuming his CPU is a good one overall.

So, to just know for sure if it may only handle 1 server per CPU, is to test/run 2 servers and see how the thing goes on. If stills good, then let us to try 2, 3 and 4. Eventually if his CPU his really good, we may end up within other limitations as not enough network bandwidth, RAM's memory lack, Virtual Memory lack, whatever else may lack...

Last edited by addons_zz; 09-06-2016 at 21:32. Reason: misspelling