[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame

Post New Thread Reply   

Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-26-2013 , 08:50   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4161

Quote:
Originally Posted by herpes View Post
Riddle me this... How can I enable gungame for workshop maps?

I have the prefix config files set up already, etc for files that are locally on the server. but I'm trying to enable GunGame for some custom maps my group made in the Steam Workshop. I run a reg/gg mix, so I can't just slap the enable cvar command in my server.cfg and be done with it :S
This sounds like CS:GO, and what a great idea Valve has come up with to get people to create maps that they, the creators, never get to host? It sounds like you are saying these maps are loaded to clients' machines not from the game server, not from a fastDL server, but from another server somewhere, controlled by "Steam Workshop". Is that about how it works?

In that case, I doubt this would work, or you may have already tried it, but you can put map specific .cfg files in your cstrike/maps/cfg folder. For example, a file named de_dust.cfg in that folder would be loaded when the map de_dust is loaded. This works when the map loads from cstrike/maps. With the map loading from somewhere else, I'm not sure it would work at all.

Other than that, you really have no control over naming a map with a gg_ prefix using Steam Workshops?

My plugins:
[CS:S] BOT Swat | [ANY] CVAR Randomizer | [CS:S] SM CS:S Tag Beta | [CS:S] Bot2Player
Awesome & Crucial plugins by other people:
[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame | [UMC3] Ultimate Mapchooser | [ANY] Server Crontab | [ANY] SM ForceCamera
Rizla
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-26-2013 , 10:06   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
Well, I have played a couple of GunGame maps tonight, and I did not experience hearing other people level up. It seems it might have happened before, but I can't be sure. With what you are saying, I would guess that it had something to do with the "custom" folder, I guess it is?

Are you running CS:S or CS:GO? What is the purpose of the custom folder?
css, the custom folder is a place to put custom content, like maps, sounds etc.

I'll give it a try in the root folder.
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-26-2013 , 11:48   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4163

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
css, the custom folder is a place to put custom content, like maps, sounds etc.

I'll give it a try in the root folder.
I've never heard of putting all custom content into one folder. The folders would normally be defined within the custom content. In other words, normally you would need to put custom sounds for GunGame in the folders where GunGame is looking for them. You'd need to put custom materials for a custom map into the folders where the map is looking for them.

Having one folder for all of that sounds great, until you run into a filename conflict with 2 different files having the same name - or it doesn't work correctly, as in your case.

If you can, please post where you got the idea to use this "custom folder" in the first place, and any other information about it. It may be time for coders of SM plugins to stop hard coding filenames into plugins.

My plugins:
[CS:S] BOT Swat | [ANY] CVAR Randomizer | [CS:S] SM CS:S Tag Beta | [CS:S] Bot2Player
[CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame | [UMC3] Ultimate Mapchooser | [ANY] Server Crontab | [ANY] SM ForceCamera
Rizla
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-26-2013 , 12:06   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4164

the custom folder came with the steampipe update, if you look on a css install, you'll notice a folder called 'custom' - inside that you make a folder, lets say 'mycustomcontent' and inside that you create a file called maps, and add custom maps in there, another one called sounds and add sounds in there, quakesounds works from it no problem, the gungame sounds work, but you hear sounds from other players only for the gungame sounds.
altex
Veteran Member
Old 05-26-2013 , 13:11   Release 1.2.12.0
Reply With Quote #4165

Release 1.2.12.0:
--------------
* Fixed bug. If gungame is disabled then players can drop weapons if StripDeadPlayersWeapon is enabled.
Before fix it was not possible to drop the gun even if gungame is disabled.
But dont forget to set mp_death_drop_gun and mp_death_drop_grenade if you use CSGO.
So now you can use gg_enable/gg_disable to switch between gungame and normal game.
* Fixed bug. If Prune = 0 in config then prune is disabled.
Before fix prune=0 was deleting all the players info.
* Added another workaround to CSGO sound system. Now it's possible to play sounds not only
in sound/music folder, so snd_musicvolume does not affect it.
But still there are some disadvantages, for example it's not possible to play more than one sound
at once. So "TripleLevelBonus" music will be stoped after any other sound like "levelup".
* Sounds have been relocated. "sound/music/gungame" folder have been renamed to "sound/gungame".

Last edited by altex; 05-26-2013 at 13:12.
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-26-2013 , 14:58   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4166

Quote:
the custom folder came with the steampipe update, if you look on a css install, you'll notice a folder called 'custom' - inside that you make a folder, lets say 'mycustomcontent' and inside that you create a file called maps, and add custom maps in there, another one called sounds and add sounds in there, quakesounds works from it no problem, the gungame sounds work, but you hear sounds from other players only for the gungame sounds.
I'm surprised that would work at all with custom SM/plugin content. I guess SM is using the same search path as the engine. If you read the readme.txt in the folder, it mentions the inefficiency of adding subfolders over VPK files. If your hell bent on using that folder, I'd figure out how to compress your content to VPK, otherwise I'd just use the folder structure as provided by the custom content.

As far as the error you are experiencing, who knows? I'd tend to think that you'd have better luck with newer stuff, and most errors would occur with stuff made before Valve did this.

My plugins:
Rizla
SourceMod Donor
Old 05-26-2013 , 17:00   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4167

the inefficiency would only occur on map change or server restart, i thought i may as well give it a go, nice to keep stuff like that seperated, id keep the custom maps like that as its just easier. the inefficiency would probably make little to no difference to me anyway, its a powerful box it runs on.

I think it may have something to do with sv_pure though, I might try and do some whitelisting for the custom content, see if that helps, i remember when i had custom sounds before on my client and joined a pure server, it would do something similar.
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-26-2013 , 21:03   Re: [CS:S/CS:GO] GunGame
Reply With Quote #4168

Quote:
the inefficiency would only occur on map change or server restart, i thought i may as well give it a go, nice to keep stuff like that seperated, id keep the custom maps like that as its just easier. the inefficiency would probably make little to no difference to me anyway, its a powerful box it runs on.

I think it may have something to do with sv_pure though, I might try and do some whitelisting for the custom content, see if that helps, i remember when i had custom sounds before on my client and joined a pure server, it would do something similar.
They did change everything about sv_pure in the last big update. You have to use it on the command line now, the meaning completely changed, etc... but if you are hearing the sounds twice, or once plus and echo, let's hope that it isn't an sv_pure issue, in which case you shouldn't hear anything I'd think.

Is it possible that you are hearing the sounds from the custom folder as well the sounds from where they were intended to be? Then again, that still wouldn't explain why you'd hear sounds from others. I have CS:S, and don't have these issues that I've noticed, but except for the readme, the custom folder remains empty. It's things like this that make me feel all warm inside about Valve.

My plugins:

Last edited by Bittersweet; 05-26-2013 at 21:11.
Bittersweet
Veteran Member
Old 05-26-2013 , 21:10   Re: Release 1.2.12.0
Reply With Quote #4169

Quote:
Originally Posted by altex View Post
Release 1.2.12.0:
--------------
* Fixed bug. If gungame is disabled then players can drop weapons if StripDeadPlayersWeapon is enabled.
Before fix it was not possible to drop the gun even if gungame is disabled.
But dont forget to set mp_death_drop_gun and mp_death_drop_grenade if you use CSGO.
So now you can use gg_enable/gg_disable to switch between gungame and normal game.
* Fixed bug. If Prune = 0 in config then prune is disabled.
Before fix prune=0 was deleting all the players info.
* Added another workaround to CSGO sound system. Now it's possible to play sounds not only
in sound/music folder, so snd_musicvolume does not affect it.
But still there are some disadvantages, for example it's not possible to play more than one sound
at once. So "TripleLevelBonus" music will be stoped after any other sound like "levelup".
* Sounds have been relocated. "sound/music/gungame" folder have been renamed to "sound/gungame".
Altex, from what I can tell, GunGame does not utilize any sort of auto-updating, such as this updater plugin. So my understanding is that users need to update GunGame every time you release an update in order to reap the benefits. Is that correct? If so, any plans to go with some kind of auto-updating in the future?

My plugins:
altex
Veteran Member
Old 05-27-2013 , 03:33   Re: Release 1.2.12.0
Reply With Quote #4170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post
Altex, from what I can tell, GunGame does not utilize any sort of auto-updating, such as this updater plugin. So my understanding is that users need to update GunGame every time you release an update in order to reap the benefits. Is that correct? If so, any plans to go with some kind of auto-updating in the future?
Good question.
Autoupdate is a good idea itself.
But before implementing this it's necessury to resolve some other issues.
For example:
1) Almost every gg update adds/changes some config variables. We can update smx files, but we can not just update config file, because server administators changed it. So this new features wouldn't be available until admins will know what exactly was added in config.
2) Some updates does not have backward compatibility, for example deteling some features. Admins should take time to reconfigure server before changes take effect.
3) Some updates can not be done without admins. For example when admin should move custom sounds to another folder
4) Some updates changes api, so other plugins that depends on gungame will stop working after update.

So i can't imagine what exactly issues will occur after every update on a particular server. And that's why i beleive the most part of admins won't be happy if i implement this feature. For example, do you feel happy after every weekly update from valve? As an administrator i mean, not as a player

Last edited by altex; 05-27-2013 at 03:34.