Plugin Version:
Plugin Category:
Gameplay
Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    This custom attribute lets you set a custom weapon model to both worldmodel and viewmodel.
    Old 03-29-2021 , 10:29   [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #1

Custom Weapon Model

Easily change weapon models and arms models ( including animations ) with attibutes. Check the github for more information.

The forum doesn't embed the image unfortunately, so check the github page to see for examples and more information.

Github Page:
    Custom Weapon Models

Last edited by Zabaniya; 02-04-2024 at 17:41.
    PC Gamer
    Veteran Member
    Old 03-30-2021 , 15:20   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #2

The pictures look very interesting. However, I don't understand the scope of this plugin or how to use it. Maybe you can answer a few questions.

1. Does this replace the models for a single weapon, or multiple weapons?
    2. What models are you providing with the plugin?
    3. Does this view replace all weapons by type? For example, all Scatterguns to include warpainted? or just the base stock Scattergun?
    4. ...or.. Do you create a new weapon index with the new model?
    5. Where do you get new models from?
    6. How do you install the new models?
    7. Are there any commands to enable or disable the custom models?

Last edited by PC Gamer; 03-30-2021 at 15:23.
    Zabaniya
    Old 03-31-2021 , 11:16   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
    Originally Posted by PC Gamer View Post
    The pictures look very interesting. However, I don't understand the scope of this plugin or how to use it. Maybe you can answer a few questions.

1. Does this replace the models for a single weapon, or multiple weapons?
    2. What models are you providing with the plugin?
    3. Does this view replace all weapons by type? For example, all Scatterguns to include warpainted? or just the base stock Scattergun?
    4. ...or.. Do you create a new weapon index with the new model?
    5. Where do you get new models from?
    6. How do you install the new models?
    7. Are there any commands to enable or disable the custom models?
    Hey! Thank you for taking interest in this plugin. Sorry for not replying earlier but I barely use AlliedModders.

1. It replaces every weapon unless it's a wearable ( like shields ), as of now.
    2. Zero. I'm not a model maker so I can't make any of my own. However, I could ask a friend of mine for a few examples to put. You can use gamebanana or anything else to get a weapon model ( not a vpk ).
    3. Yep, you can do that as well.
    4. Nope.
    5. Gamebanana, custom made, other sites.
    6. Shove them inside models and materials. You could actually just use an existing tf2 model if you wanted, up to you.
    7. Nope. But you can remove the attribute and they won't show up.

I'll try to explain how it works. Do you know about the "replace projectile model" attribute in tf2? It's pretty much like that but for weapon models ( and it's not built-in ). It's a "custom attribute", and you can give it and manage everything thanks to Nosoop's custom attributes framework as stated and linked in the initial thread.
    How and what you want to do... it's up to you.
    Do you want to replace a stock weapon's model? Sure.
    Do you want to have a custom model for a custom weapon? Sure. Use Nosoop's Custom Weapons X manager ( linked in the thread ) and add it as an attribute in the Custom Attributes section or anything else that supports that framework.

"weaponmodel override" "model path"

This is the attribute. Replace model path with the model you're interested in, for example: "models/necgaming/weapons/kunai/australium/c_shogun_kunai.mdl".

I have another version of the same plugin, but it has a store system ( batfoxkid's text-store ) without the whole custom attribute thingy. I could post it if people are interested and happen to use that store.
    Old Bill
    Old 04-07-2021 , 23:55   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #4

Do you think you are going to look further into a fix for cw3 overriden model not showing up until you switch?
    CDTH06
    Old 10-14-2021 , 11:35   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #5

That's a great plugin! Does anyone know an equivalent of this plugin, but for buildings models?
    Pony_Phreak
    Old 02-14-2022 , 13:10   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #6

I'm afraid I don't fully understand. I'm trying to use your model switcher with CWX- like so:

Code:
     	//Viewmodel test
    	"{598c0df2-151c-4b12-85ec-569d51270c8e}"
    	  {
    		"name"			"weaponmld test"
    		"inherits"		"TF_WEAPON_SCATTERGUN"

"attributes_custom"
    		{
    		"weaponmodel override"	"models/workshop/weapons/c_models/c_scatterdrum/c_scatterdrum.mdl"
    		}
          }

but the model is not changing. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Also, to expand on one of PC Gamer's questions-- Is it possible to reskin a weapon to be a specific weapon's warpaint? for example, can I make a custom weapon appear as a dragon slayer/fire glazed shotgun? is it possible this could even force a texture over another model- ie, putting a warpaint over a non-paintable item, such as the Kritzkrieg, pocket pistol, or even a custom weapon model?
    404UserNotFound
    BANNED
    Old 02-14-2022 , 23:56   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #7

I had been looking into custom warpaints and messing with warpainting nonpaintable items quite some time ago when I was working for Creators.tf. The warpaint system doesn't seem to have an easy way of specifying a custom warpaint texture or any way of applying warpaint to nonpaintable items.

Also, nice to see people are messing with custom weapon models more. If you're having issues with models not showing for other players, check out my Serverside Player Attachment Fixer plugin which sets the m_bValidatedAttachedEntity netprop on things automatically.

I do have a question pertaining to this plugin: does this also suffer from the same lighting oddities that we encountered with our system at Creators? Like in some random spots on random maps the weapons lighting just frigs up and goes dark, or changes color altogether. Does that happen with this? I'd also been looking for some other way of doing custom weapon models that didn't require parenting a separate set of arms and another weapon model which ate into the # of spaces left in a players m_hMyWearables array. That array is capped at 8, although valve had plans to increase that which is evidenced in the source code leak, but couldn't because it frigged up old demo recordings. I never did find an easier way of just straight up replacing the existing weapon c_model instead of doing all the rigamarole that other plugins do to achieve the same effect.

Last edited by 404UserNotFound; 02-14-2022 at 23:57.
    masterT
    Old 06-19-2022 , 16:37   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #8

what should the materials folder look like, cause my weapon models are invisible.
    JustOasis
    Old 04-06-2023 , 10:07   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #9

Where can I find the folder for the models? Every time I try and use the model attribute, the model just shows as a big red error.

Last edited by JustOasis; 04-06-2023 at 10:07.
    Zabaniya
    Old 04-19-2023 , 10:18   Re: [TF2] [CA] Custom Weapon Model
    Reply With Quote #10

Wherever your model is stored (?).
    Custom content ( models and such ) should be under the download folder.