Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Understanding mdmp files

Post New Thread Reply   

zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 07-13-2010 , 23:19   Understanding mdmp files
Reply With Quote #1

We all get them, those mdmp files that hold everything we need to know in order to solve our problems. Unfortunately for those of us who know how to read them it does not help if we can not understand what we read.

I have created this thread in the hope that others can shed light on how I am supposed figure out what causes my crashes via the data these files provide.

Below I have attached 4 mdump files. They are from different servers but all the same error. From reading them here is what I know:
Call stack dll: kernel32.dll
Address: 77e4bef7

I also know the thread value but that is different for each one.

So I got all of this information but I have no idea what any of it means or what to do with it in order to fix my problem. Sure I can just post my dumps in great forums like these and some people will tell me what is going wrong but I think it would be better if I could read them myself and maybe also help others find there problems too

So how in the hell do I figure out what is going wrong!?
Old 07-15-2010 , 04:32   Re: Understanding mdmp files
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroibis View Post
We all get them, those mdmp files that hold everything we need to know in order to solve our problems. Unfortunately for those of us who know how to read them it does not help if we can not understand what we read.

I have created this thread in the hope that others can shed light on how I am supposed figure out what causes my crashes via the data these files provide.

Below I have attached 4 mdump files. They are from different servers but all the same error. From reading them here is what I know:
Call stack dll: kernel32.dll
Address: 77e4bef7

I also know the thread value but that is different for each one.

So I got all of this information but I have no idea what any of it means or what to do with it in order to fix my problem. Sure I can just post my dumps in great forums like these and some people will tell me what is going wrong but I think it would be better if I could read them myself and maybe also help others find there problems too

So how in the hell do I figure out what is going wrong!?
How can you read the .mdmp file? What software?
Send a message via MSN to chu1720
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 07-15-2010 , 06:44   Re: Understanding mdmp files
Reply With Quote #3

WinDbg which is part of the Windows SDK does a semi-decent job, I personally prefer (and recommend) Visual Studio if you already have access to it though. There are plenty of other debuggers that can be tried though.
Old 07-15-2010 , 12:36   Re: Understanding mdmp files
Reply With Quote #4

Visual Studio but this thread is about understanding the information you get from there as posted above. How do I use this to tell me what is actually wrong...
Old 07-20-2010 , 15:43   Re: Understanding mdmp files
Reply With Quote #5

Its not that simple i am afraid.

Even if you got VS, configed it for SM Symbols then opened the mdmp file, unless you knew what the codes meant you would still just be looking at numbers.

Its a programming thing, un;ess you know programming you would never fully understand, and believe me,i i have tried on many occasions to read mdmps then debug and it has never once given me any useful info, but when a programmer looks at the exact same info, magically, he knows whats going on and where to begin debugging.
zeroibis
Veteran Member
Old 07-21-2010 , 15:04   Re: Understanding mdmp files
Reply With Quote #6

Well I know that the Address: 77e4bef7 for example refers to a memory address and that if you were the one who made said program you would know what this is the address too. I wish there was like an index of these addresses where I could look up if a particular address is used by a given mod.