Harry Potter Mod v0.0.6

Post New Thread Reply   

Napoleon_be
Veteran Member
Old 04-13-2023 , 01:53   Re: Harry Potter Mod
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhob94 View Post
Why would you need it? Give me more information about it.

Well, i thought about it and it's not a coincidence i chose Q W E R for the spells. Flashlight and drop cmds are just locked btw.
Nowadays everyone use Qwerty keyboards, in my point of view is pointless to make it harder for the player to understand what the keys are if i go by cmd name. Plus Q W E R are keys that players never bind other commands because they are important keys for the game itself.
I could change the thread and plugin HUD but i think it's pointless. It's 2023, supporting other keyboard type that isn't qwerty is quite pointless and just more confusing to the players that have no idea what lastinv command is.

Edit:
I believe this new feature is the best option to use. After all the M, G, E, R are the same on all keyboards, from the used keys just A Z and Q W are different.
What do you think @fysiks?
FYI: There's at least 11 million people in Belgium using AZERTY keyboards. France is also split up in 2 or 3 big groups of which 1 of them use french AZERTY keyboards. I'm pretty convinced there are other countries in the world that use AZERTY instead of QWERTY.

Overall good job on the plugin.
AMX Mod X Donor
Old 04-13-2023 , 13:47   Re: Harry Potter Mod
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_be View Post
FYI: There's at least 11 million people in Belgium using AZERTY keyboards. France is also split up in 2 or 3 big groups of which 1 of them use french AZERTY keyboards. I'm pretty convinced there are other countries in the world that use AZERTY instead of QWERTY
Well, there are currently 2Billion active computers on the world.
Even if there are 20M azert keyboard, there are still 1.980M QWERTY/QWERTZ Keyboards.
So, this new tool is more than enough for that 1% of players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_be View Post
Overall good job on the plugin.
Old 04-20-2023 , 17:42   Re: Harry Potter Mod
Reply With Quote #13

this is what i call being a true potter fan

small details that I saw of your code: do not panic
  1. note that you aim without using <amxmisc & fakemeta_util> I don't know if you plan to use them later
  2. this cvar why not pass them to the cfg

PHP Code:
    public plugin_init() 
    {

//...

server_cmd("mp_limitteams 1")

server_cmd("mp_friendlyfire 1")

PHP Code:
    public plugin_cfg()
    {

set_cvar_num("mp_limitteams"1)

set_cvar_num("mp_friendlyfire"1)

//...

3. to avoid accidents, verify that the file exists "spr & mdl" before of...

PHP Code:
    public plugin_precache() 
    {

//..

if(file_exists(path)) 
        {

precache_model(path)
        } 
        else {

set_fail_state("error"//no crash

}

It would be nice if it was compatible with regamedll, it would save you calling multiple natives in this case it favors you since it is a mod you would be optimizing it, it would even remove the extra end-of-round requirement, not of great importance, it would only make the code cleaner and secure
Old 04-20-2023 , 17:58   Re: Harry Potter Mod
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlibre View Post
this is what i call being a true potter fan

small details that I saw of your code: do not panic
  1. note that you aim without using <amxmisc & fakemeta_util> I don't know if you plan to use them later
  2. this cvar why not pass them to the cfg

PHP Code:
    public plugin_init() 
    {

//...

server_cmd("mp_limitteams 1")

server_cmd("mp_friendlyfire 1")

PHP Code:
    public plugin_cfg()
    {

set_cvar_num("mp_limitteams"1)

set_cvar_num("mp_friendlyfire"1)

//...

3. to avoid accidents, verify that the file exists "spr & mdl" before of...

PHP Code:
    public plugin_precache() 
    {

//..

if(file_exists(path)) 
        {

precache_model(path)
        } 
        else {

set_fail_state("error"//no crash

}

It would be nice if it was compatible with regamedll, it would save you calling multiple natives in this case it favors you since it is a mod you would be optimizing it, it would even remove the extra end-of-round requirement, not of great importance, it would only make the code cleaner and secure
The includes are from previous versions that add some other stuff and i forgot to remove
Cvars also distraction. I always forget to check the basic stuff..

About models i don’t think it’s necessary to verify if they exist because in the end it won’t work anyway.

Is regamedll supported at this forum? Never used it, i came back few weeks ago after long years.
Old 04-25-2023 , 11:55   Re: Harry Potter Mod v0.0.6
Reply With Quote #15

yes, of course, various improvements have been applied, It is constantly reviewed and updated with the support of the entire community that still keeps this engine alive
Old 04-25-2023 , 15:36   Re: Harry Potter Mod v0.0.6
Reply With Quote #16

Q, or pick a letter, is not a command / assumes defaults. Consider using register_concmd with descriptions.
Old 04-25-2023 , 18:00   Re: Harry Potter Mod v0.0.6
Reply With Quote #17

People don’t unbind those keys.
Max they would unbind are impulse 100 and nightvision. And still, it can not be so much players unbinding it.
Another easy solution for the server owner is to edit server’s motd in order to explain the commands. If he finds it necessary.
In my point of view the way this is coded is the best option, i won’t complicate and make out a problem on a simple thing that is not a problem at all. There are several ways to let the player know about the keys. Plus if i bind a command on impulse 100 and then it doesn’t work it won’t be hard to figure out the problem.
Old 04-26-2023, 00:38
fysiks
This message has been deleted by fysiks. Reason: nvm
DJEarthQuake
Veteran Member
Old 04-26-2023 , 13:01   Re: Harry Potter Mod v0.0.6
Reply With Quote #18

The opposite is true. Nobody's binds are the same.

While I can appreciate making things intuitive, like when on a train, car, or spectating; the controls and associated details come up. That is not achieved here.
I recommend putting a MOTD function in the script and 2-3 descriptive searchable words per command. Server owners have other data on the MOTD like rules etc. Players have to rejoin to see MOTD again or worse, look up thread and leave.

amx_searchcmd KEYWORD should show players everything.

Other mods, dating decades back, have a MOTD. Register_clcmd is completed with description.
One has to ask themselves if they are rising or lowering their standards?

Map:
Why not link the map or put it in the resources?

Bravo:
Some of the spells looked tight on the SFX side.

Gross:
The wand looks like a male phallic. Be careful. One can get into trouble with that making something that is in the likeness of the infamous piss plugin.

Once again, one has to reevaluate: if they are rising or lowering their standards?
Less dic pic more arithmetic.

Legal:
The gross part then the copyrights. Word to the wise. Get written permission. Crediting mod is Harry Potter inspired is adequate.

I am not going to be the one to list several better mods of the sort. The QWERTY hangup and failure to come to shared and thorough understanding is enough for now.
Goodluck!
Old 04-26-2023 , 16:12   Re: Harry Potter Mod v0.0.6
Reply With Quote #19

Map used at video is de_mon, i don’t even use it anymore. I am using dust2

Male phallic? Not even close, it’s a wand. Everyone can see it. I don’t know how you even related it to a male phallic.
This only proves you’re just hating on it. Maybe you do not like harry potter movies, I don’t know. So far I haven’t seen one single moderator or approver complaining about it.

Copyrights? The music i made by myself, do you want the FL studio file? Models are not violating copyrights either. Plus i am not making money out of it. It is made by a fan for fans.

And about not everyone’s binds be the same i don’t know how many times i gotta tell you so you can understand that people default binds are those and that they don’t really unbind them because of their importance in game
Old 04-27-2023 , 08:50   Re: Harry Potter Mod v0.0.6
Reply With Quote #20

They do not unbind and void the control permanently, they move it to another key. I have no idea what you are assuming is bound to Q but I use it differently on each mod.

Code:
bind q
"q" = "!spec"
Code:
bind q
"q" = "galil;famas"

Last edited by DJEarthQuake; 04-28-2023 at 08:57. Reason: Had to look up what Q was.