Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

high and unstable var / sv

Post New Thread Reply   

blekekok
Old 12-07-2021 , 14:35   high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #1

Hi,

I am trying to run a 128 tick / 12 slot retake server, but I am getting high unstable var and sv.

I am currently hosted on a dedicated core VPS KVM, which should mean I don't share my resources with other users. The hosting provider also marketed the server for Gaming Servers.

The server is running on a Xeon X5670 @ 2.93GHz, with 2vCPU and 4GB.

I tried running my server using linuxgsm and pterodactyl, with both of them I am getting sv +- 1 and var sitting around 0.03 with frequent spikes ranging from 0.300 - 1.000 with only 1 human in the server (myself), and 6 - 10 sv with bots.

I tried using tuned as well, but it did not make any difference.

Is there anything I could do to improve the performance of the server to make it more stable?

(I am also unable to afford a dedicated hosting as where I live in Asia the price for dedicated hosting is pretty expensive and I am unable to get a hosting like OVH because they only offer Singapore as one of their locations in Asia and I need my server to be local)
vijayar
Old 12-08-2021 , 03:17   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blekekok View Post
Hi,

I am trying to run a 128 tick / 12 slot retake server, but I am getting high unstable var and sv.

I am currently hosted on a dedicated core VPS KVM, which should mean I don't share my resources with other users. The hosting provider also marketed the server for Gaming Servers.

The server is running on a Xeon X5670 @ 2.93GHz, with 2vCPU and 4GB.

I tried running my server using linuxgsm and pterodactyl, with both of them I am getting sv +- 1 and var sitting around 0.03 with frequent spikes ranging from 0.300 - 1.000 with only 1 human in the server (myself), and 6 - 10 sv with bots.

I tried using tuned as well, but it did not make any difference.

Is there anything I could do to improve the performance of the server to make it more stable?

(I am also unable to afford a dedicated hosting as where I live in Asia the price for dedicated hosting is pretty expensive and I am unable to get a hosting like OVH because they only offer Singapore as one of their locations in Asia and I need my server to be local)
I personally feel sv & var spikes are more due to the end client gaming machine, the internet provider used and its peering to reach your server hosted. This is debatable but I have seen people reporting sv & var spikes on CPUs with higher speed (3.0+) as well as excellant & stable sv & var on CPUs with lower speed (< 3.0). Your server specs seems to be fine.

Try https://liquorix.net/ and see if there is any improvement.
blekekok
Old 12-08-2021 , 07:20   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #3

Hey, Thanks for replying.

I tried using Liquorix, and it did not make any difference, I still got 0,300 - 1.000+ var spikes with sv around 1-2 with 3 humans.

I also tried changing the CPU from powersaving to performance but wasn't able to (thinking it was a KVM limitation), so I contacted the hosting provider and asked if they have set their CPUs to performance, and claimed that they have.

Are there any other things to improve the performance, because it seems that I am getting high sv & var with low CPU usage?

Thanks
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-08-2021 , 14:11   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #4

That's an old processor with terrible single core performance, but that doesn't necessarily explain your issues.
  1. Have you installed and run tuned?
  2. What kernels have you tried (be specific in the versions and builds)?
  3. Is this server limited to the base clock speed?
blekekok
Old 12-08-2021 , 22:09   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxximou5 View Post
That's an old processor with terrible single core performance, but that doesn't necessarily explain your issues.
  1. Have you installed and run tuned?
  2. What kernels have you tried (be specific in the versions and builds)?
  3. Is this server limited to the base clock speed?
Thanks for replying,
  1. I have tried tuned with no difference
  2. I have tried 5.15.6-xanmod2 and 5.15.0-6.2-liquorix-amd64. Both of them did not make any difference to the var
  3. I think the server is limited to 2933MHz

Note for tuned: I successfully installed and enabled it, but after I installed Xanmod / Liquorix it started to fail verifying. (tuned-adm verify)
sphinx
Old 12-09-2021 , 01:09   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #6

Run CSGO on dedicated server, not on KVM or other virtualization technology.
blekekok
Old 12-09-2021 , 02:53   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphinx View Post
Run CSGO on dedicated server, not on KVM or other virtualization technology.
Thanks for the reply,

Renting a dedicated server is currently out of my price range.

Is there any other tips that I could do that could increase performance / stability.

I also have tried using Google Cloud Compute and got 0.00x var and pretty good sv (3-4 sv with 12 humans). But the price added up quicky and blew my budget.
asdfxD
Veteran Member
Old 12-09-2021 , 10:14   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #8

there is no problem with srcds at kvm servers with "dedicated" cores. i own 2 kvm nvme servers in germany with dedicated cores + own kernel + 4ghz+ cpu. works fine with a var of 0.00X 128 tick, no spikes, no lag. Most important thing -> no shared cores with a good single thread performance.

2x 4,0 - 4,5 GHz dedicated cores, 80GB NVMe, 4 GB DDR4 Ram = 12€ is better than any other csgo server from a game hoster.
Maxximou5
AlliedModders Donor
Old 12-09-2021 , 11:55   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #9

Agreed, KVM is not the issue, it's your base clock, plain and simple. Not being turbo and limited is going to give you the results you have.
blekekok
Old 12-09-2021 , 14:02   Re: high and unstable var / sv
Reply With Quote #10

Thanks for the responses, I'll try to find a dedicated core KVM hosting with a higher base clock. It's pretty rare to find a hosting provider with those specific specs locally from where I am, but I should at least find some. Wish me luck

Thanks