3% 

Compiling SourceMod - questions and issues

Post New Thread Reply   

Dr. Greg House
Professional Troll,
Part-Time Asshole
Old 03-31-2013 , 08:21   Compiling SourceMod - questions and issues
Reply With Quote #1

A week ago I've started trying to compile SourceMod on Linux, following this article:
http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Compiling_SourceMod

Unfortunately it didn't work (I've had to move around some source files and it just didn't seem right although I had the exact folder structure as described in the article), until I've found this:
https://bitbucket.org/asherkin/sourcemod-compile

Which is genius, to keep it short. But again I've stumbled across some issues here:

-SM needed MM1.8 to compile, easy to fix, as well as adding MySQL
-The output files seem to be extremely huge compare to the files you get by downloading a precompiled package from the website. I don't know why and honestly it's annoying to upload files that are sometimes ten times the original size. This doesn't feel right as well, although it works. EDIT: Manages to fix this by using "python3 ../configure.py --enable-optimize".
-Using AMBuilder (which I am all the time, FYI), the plugins won't compile during the compilation process. Well they do, but the console hangs and I have to press enter each time it tries to compile a new plugin. Then it works for some strange reason, but often (not everytime), this message appears, which doesn't affect the procedure, but I think it's still important to mention:

Code:
"/home/vagrant/sourcemod-1.4/build/spcomp/spcomp" "SM_GENERATED_BUILD=" "-i../includes" "-i../../plugins/include" "/home/vagrant/sourcemod-1.4/plugins/admin-flatfile/admin-flatfile.sp"

[Have to press enter here]

SourcePawn Compiler 1.4.8-dev
Copyright (c) 1997-2006, ITB CompuPhase, (C)2004-2008 AlliedModders, LLC

Header size:           3520 bytes
Code size:            11952 bytes
Data size:             1676 bytes
Stack/heap size:      16384 bytes; Total requirements:   33532 bytes

bit length overflow
code 16 bits 6->7
Any input on this would be great and thanks to asherkin for creating that developmentvm script!

EDIT: The last issue seems to have been fixed as well. I've created a shellscript inside the sourcemod-1.4 folder which deletes the contents of build and then just goes ahead and
Code:
cd build
python3 ../configure.py --enable-optimize
python3 build.py
Now it compiles the plugins without me having to press enter for each file.

After all it would be great to link to asherkin's approach in the wiki article.
Thanks again.

Last edited by Dr. Greg House; 03-31-2013 at 08:43.
asherkin
SourceMod Developer
Old 03-31-2013 , 11:20   Re: Compiling SourceMod - questions and issues
Reply With Quote #2

The Vagrant VM isn't really setup for compiling SourceMod itself right now, I have some changes locally that make it a bit more useful for that.

You issue with the compiler sounds like you did a debug build of it: https://bugs.alliedmods.net/show_bug.cgi?id=5626
Part-Time Asshole
Old 03-31-2013 , 15:09   Re: Compiling SourceMod - questions and issues
Reply With Quote #3

Yup, no wonder it became "suddenly" fixed when I changed the configuration parameters.
As I've said although your setup is meant to compile extensions, it only needs a few changes and scripts to make the compilation of SourceMod both possible and comfortable.