Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

bank

Post New Thread Reply   

yester64
Old 06-16-2007 , 23:09   bank
Reply With Quote #1

is somebody willing to develop a bank system for sourcemod?
i really like a bank. i use ba_bank right now and avoid givecash to players.
works pretty well and i wish somebody could make this.
yester64
Old 06-20-2007 , 22:21   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #2

since nobody is answering, i wonder if it is difficult to transfer let say an amx coded bank script to sourcemod?
theY4Kman
Old 06-20-2007 , 22:33   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #3

It's not impossible, but the database of bank accounts would get out of hand quickly without SQLite support. Until it's integrated into SourceMod, I don't see a bank plugin coming...
Send a message via ICQ to theY4Kman Send a message via AIM to theY4Kman Send a message via MSN to theY4Kman Send a message via Yahoo to theY4Kman Send a message via Skype™ to theY4Kman
sessus
Old 06-20-2007 , 22:51   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theY4Kman View Post
It's not impossible, but the database of bank accounts would get out of hand quickly without SQLite support. Until it's integrated into SourceMod, I don't see a bank plugin coming...
This is plane false. I have the OLD ES Bank Script which includes a !clearbank function, running on a server that is 18+ hours full. Upon request, !clearbank removes accounts that have been inactive for X days . The max. size my database has ever reached was 200Kb.

I believe SM will not see the success of ES until scripts like this will be coming out. At the moment only base'plugins' are released which is merely representing admin-functionality, i.e. replicating Mani.
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-20-2007 , 22:55   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #5

Unless you can't read, ES in general operates significantly slower than SourceMod, and as the highest goal of sourcemod scripts is the most efficient operation, storing this information for "18 hours" actually does create some adverse performance impacts. Also, 200 KB is kind of big IMO, especially for data storage and reading from a text file.

Personally I hate the bank script.

Anyway, until SQLite comes around a bank script will honestly be a bad idea. Even though keyvalues is available it shouldn't be used for something that stores so much information.

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
pRED*
Old 06-20-2007 , 23:29   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #6

What about a straight file read/write. You could create a plugin version (or C++ addon if you're into that sort of thing) equivalent of amxx's nvault..

That would open up plently of oportunities for smaller saving plugins like this..

A SM port of Suzuka's Cvault code would probably do fine. http://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=12606

Last edited by pRED*; 06-20-2007 at 23:32.
yester64
Old 06-20-2007 , 23:34   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #7

i am not sure if that matters. but the ba_bank i run, which uses es_tools, creates a sql databank, which resides on the gameserver.
i wished i could program and could do i it myself, but i have to get to read the docs first.
is there a tiny program, from where you get ideas how to code something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theY4Kman View Post
FlyingMongoose
Veteran Member
Old 06-21-2007 , 00:04   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #8

It's probably sqlite

http://wiki.alliedmods.net/My_First_Script

http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Category:SourceMod_Scripting

http://wiki.alliedmods.net/Category:...od_Development

Only ask for support in plugin threads.

TunedChaos.com - Precision Tuned Game Servers
sessus
Old 06-21-2007 , 02:24   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingMongoose View Post
Unless you can't read, ES in general operates significantly slower than SourceMod [...]
200 KB is kind of big IMO, especially for data storage and reading from a text file.

Personally I hate the bank script. [...]
Look, I am sure you have expressed your 'SM is much faster than ES' opinion plenty of times (even on steampowered). ES is at the end of the day more user friendly and has currently more things (i.e. scripts) to play around with than SM. That's the bottom line. So, give it a rest.

"kind of big", any more bias and I'll be sick. Let's see how with SQlite you can magically cut down on 50% of characters.
I believe the latest ES version supports SQLite and the ES bank script is already rewritten for that. I'd post a link, but I don't want to upset you in any way FlyingM. Maybe next time ;)
L. Duke
Veteran Member
Old 06-21-2007 , 10:13   Re: bank
Reply With Quote #10

ES has more "scripts" but I wouldn't say it is more user friendly. It only seems more user friendly to people who have already figured out how to write scripts for it. I have looked at ES scripts and SM plugins, and having written neither so far, they both have a similar learning curve.

I agree that SQLite wouldn't be necessary for a banking function though. If all that's being saved is steamID and money, a flat file would have less overhead. Not that it would be necessarily bad to use SQLite if it's been made available and easy to use.