Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Player Limit Remover

Post New Thread Reply   

culexor
Old 11-16-2011 , 17:45   Player Limit Remover
Reply With Quote #1

After the recent source engine update, the player limit remover plugin by drunken_fool (creator of sourceop) stopped working. Since he now works at valve, he's no longer updating it. I was wondering if there are any alternative solutions to increase the player limit on my hl2dm servers. 16 players just isn't enough.

I found a Linux version here: http://www.skial.com/threads/player-...r-plugin.2604/

However, I am running Windows on my server. Maybe someone could use the source code from the linux version to create a Windows version. I would if I knew how.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-16-2011 , 19:38   Re: Player Limit Remover
Reply With Quote #2

Removing player limits is playing with fire, as the game engine itself make assumptions about the number of players.

(SourceMod is hard-coded for 256 players max, so it shouldn't be an issue on the SM side).

For example, TF2 uses 99 as the player index of the server itself, which means you can never have more than 98 players without interfering with any system that assumes 99 is the server (such as Voting).

Last edited by Powerlord; 11-16-2011 at 19:38.
Dravu
Old 11-16-2011 , 20:25   Re: Player Limit Remover
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
Removing player limits is playing with fire, as the game engine itself make assumptions about the number of players.

(SourceMod is hard-coded for 256 players max, so it shouldn't be an issue on the SM side).

For example, TF2 uses 99 as the player index of the server itself, which means you can never have more than 98 players without interfering with any system that assumes 99 is the server (such as Voting).
Depends on the extent of your usage. Anything higher than 33 players crashes tf2 clients anyways. The plugin was very useful for us to enable a 33rd slot as a reserved slot.

Last edited by Dravu; 11-16-2011 at 20:26.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 11-17-2011 , 09:36   Re: Player Limit Remover
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dravu View Post
Depends on the extent of your usage. Anything higher than 33 players crashes tf2 clients anyways. The plugin was very useful for us to enable a 33rd slot as a reserved slot.
There are extensions and plugins to enable reserve slots that don't actually take up a server slot. CBaseServer by bailopan is one, Connect is a newer extension that asherkin is currently testing that plugs a potential hole in CBaseServer.
Old 11-17-2011 , 16:10   Re: Player Limit Remover
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerlord View Post
There are extensions and plugins to enable reserve slots that don't actually take up a server slot. CBaseServer by bailopan is one, Connect is a newer extension that asherkin is currently testing that plugs a potential hole in CBaseServer.
For 12 seconds, we offer a redirect to one of our other servers before kicking them. An actual slot is necessary since we're not instakicking clients.
Syle22
Old 11-17-2011 , 20:30   Re: Player Limit Remover
Reply With Quote #6

a windows version would be really nice

Afronanny
Veteran Member
Old 11-17-2011 , 20:47   Re: Player Limit Remover
Reply With Quote #7

No, that Linux version is 100% Linux-only. There is Literally no way to port that code to work on Windows.

You could look at what it does though, and make your own plugins to do it, using another method. It isn't difficult at all.
ducksducks

Last edited by Afronanny; 11-17-2011 at 20:47.