Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Good Hosts For Databases?

Post New Thread Reply   

YoloMySolo
Old 02-26-2017 , 21:48   Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #1

Currently we are using NFO's medium webhost package. But recently we are experiencing slow connections and downtime. We are currently looking at a new way to host our databases and fastdl.

Thanks

Last edited by YoloMySolo; 02-26-2017 at 21:53.
Lolztv12
AlliedModders Donor
Old 02-26-2017 , 23:15   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #2

It really depends on how much work you want to do.

Depending on the amount of storage you need, you could go with a cheap VPS from Linode or Digital Ocean (Linode has better plans IMO) and use a basic LAMP stack install to achieve this.
If you do not want to use a domain name, this guide will explain how to install a LAMP stack on Debain 8. If you are wanting to use a domain name, this guide should be able to assist you.

If you would rather use something a bit more front-end, I would suggest hosting with HostGator, DreamHost, or GoDaddy. Just make sure you have some form of FTP access, as well a way to create and edit MYSQL databases.
SM9
Veteran Member
Old 02-26-2017 , 23:59   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #3

I use https://contabo.com/ for my webserver and database, very good value for money, never had any issues with them.
checkster
BANNED
Old 02-27-2017 , 10:50   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoloMySolo View Post
Currently we are using NFO's medium webhost package. But recently we are experiencing slow connections and downtime. We are currently looking at a new way to host our databases and fastdl.

Thanks
If you're running stuff like hlx stats you need a deticated server from nfo, for everything else I have never had issues with nfo. Where are you located? Tried OHV?
YoloMySolo
Old 02-27-2017 , 12:37   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #5

We are thinking about possibly getting a vps but we are unsure on how much bandwith would be enough for a fastdl server. 6 servers 32slots on average. Any opinions?
Old 02-27-2017 , 15:12   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #6

I switched to Hawkhost relatively recently and i can deffinately vouch for them as far as Fast Downloads go. I verified it with support and my 20GB of fastdl content (Ended up being a lot less) was not a concern. The speeds are very fast which you are free to test if you play on our HL2DM server.

Database wise i am not sure if they are the fastest database host we ever had, but thats mainly because our databases dependand plugins are properly optimized so performance there is not an issue.

What mattered to me most was a high uptime and proper download speeds, both at many small files as large file downloads. Hawk has there own speedtest pages up so you can easily verify content speeds.

They run the latest versions of mariadb and litespeed combined with the latest cPanel and some other interesting features. What they do not seem to have is anti-ddos protection, which you can shield off partially using something like cloudflare but someone more experianced with cpanel hosts will probably be able to bypass relatively easily. So if anti-ddos is a big concern they are not better for you over nfo.

If it helps, my server is a cooperative server almost at the end of the billing cycle. Cooperative servers host a large variety of custom maps and because of this might have larger bandwith then usual. The bandwith usage is currently sitting at 200GB and this is no concern for hawk and should fit in most VPS plans to.

www.bouncyball.eu - Revolution Coop - Join - Spectate

Last edited by henk717; 02-27-2017 at 15:16. Reason: Added bandwith usage
OSWO
Old 02-27-2017 , 15:53   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #7

If the server is on the same box as the database, there should be no problems.
SourceMod Moderator
Old 02-27-2017 , 16:49   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #8

I had the same issue as OP, the webhosting is slow and has considerable more downtime.

I ended up renting a single core linux VPS through NFO and pay every 6 months (10-15% discount or so?), installed the necessary stuff (apache, mysql, etc) and run my website & databases off of it flawlessly. Since it's in the same data center as the rest of my game servers, DB connections never go down and are practically instant.

Last edited by sneaK; 02-27-2017 at 16:49.
servers.csgo.cfg
BANNED
Old 03-03-2017 , 18:18   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #9

https://mintshost.pl/start/vps-root/

VPS OpenVZ Mini

CPU: 1x2.0 GHz
SSD: 25 GB
RAM: 1 GB
Transfer ulimited

4euro = 16zl for vps month.

Last edited by servers.csgo.cfg; 03-03-2017 at 18:20. Reason: :)
checkster
BANNED
Old 03-03-2017 , 18:57   Re: Good Hosts For Databases?
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawk74 View Post
I had the same issue as OP, the webhosting is slow and has considerable more downtime.

I ended up renting a single core linux VPS through NFO and pay every 6 months (10-15% discount or so?), installed the necessary stuff (apache, mysql, etc) and run my website & databases off of it flawlessly. Since it's in the same data center as the rest of my game servers, DB connections never go down and are practically instant.
What datacenter did you use? cause I've never had anyissues like this with nfo.