3% 

SourceBans & IPS 4.4 Data Pulling

Post New Thread Reply   

HiddenConn1
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-28-2021 , 20:21   SourceBans & IPS 4.4 Data Pulling
Reply With Quote #1

Hey people.

Is there a possible method of allowing Invision Community 4.4.x to pull ban data from SourceBans? So in other words; when a ban is made and is registered in SourceBans, data pulled from this would go to the forums.
Old 01-30-2021 , 17:36   Re: SourceBans & IPS 4.4 Data Pulling
Reply With Quote #2

Interesting idea - would you have a custom script that would do this? I use IPS (and am about to upgrade my version) and would be very interested in something like that if it's possible and you'd be willing to share how you'd do this!
HiddenConn1
AlliedModders Donor
Old 01-31-2021 , 12:06   Re: SourceBans & IPS 4.4 Data Pulling
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Interesting idea - would you have a custom script that would do this? I use IPS (and am about to upgrade my version) and would be very interested in something like that if it's possible and you'd be willing to share how you'd do this!
If someone on this forum explains a little how I could make this happen then I can try to write an IPS app for it, I'd be happy to put it up on the IPS Marketplace for sure. If it's just pulling SQL data from the database to a block then of course I'll just release the block for free since I wouldn't have to write much code, if any apart from the SQL stuff!

I'll be honest; I'm surprised this isn't already an available application!

Last edited by HiddenConn1; 01-31-2021 at 12:08.
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 02-01-2021 , 03:39   Re: SourceBans & IPS 4.4 Data Pulling
Reply With Quote #4

The major issue with something like this is that no one really have the option to look into IPS, and how it does it stuff, unless they pay the price for a license...

If IPS is extendable/modular with it's banlist, or otherwise easily possible to access other databases, then or holds other things like e.g. something similar forwards/natives in SourceMod plugins, it would probably easily be possible to (also check) the SourceBans database.

But otherwise, if the IPS database is simple, you can make a cron job that runs every 5 minutes or so, which will SELECT your bans from SouceBans, then INSERT into the ban table on IPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenConn1 View Post
I'll be honest; I'm surprised this isn't already an available application!
To be honest, I'm not surprised.

It would be more likely to see such things as "already available" for FOSS ("Free and open-source software") things, where everyone can participate without giving a single penny, than it would on limited access systems like e.g. IPS, XenForo, and others...

However, with a FOSS system (e.g. phpBB), which I can easily peek into the source code, without spending a single penny, there it would likely be beneficial for many other people too.

a) So beneficial just for you (who have paid/wants to pay/are able to pay for the board)?

b) Beneficial for many people at a time (including people who might not be able to afford those kind of licenses)?

There I would personally prioritize spending time on the FOSS and B) combo.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].