Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Tutorial to prepare (with Stripper) a dedicated server L4D2 (windows)

Post New Thread Reply   

sedano132
Old 08-27-2013 , 13:23   Re: Tutorial for a prepared dedicated server L4D2 (windows)
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by necavi View Post
Personally I HATE most video tutorials, they never go at the right pace for me, it generally ends up being a matter of looking at a tutorial for one piece of information and having to very ungracefully search around until I find it. Text-based with pictures ends up being a lot easier and faster.
Me too.
So why i have done some low quality video?
Because many people asked me for that and that is my better video because i hate lo lose time.
Elsin10
Old 05-06-2014 , 16:17   Re: Tutorial to prepare (with Stripper) a dedicated server L4D2 (windows)
Reply With Quote #12

Question: which folder should i put sourcemod and metamod ?
This is the server's folder: Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server
Addons path: Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server\left4dead2\addons

I can connect to the server but the commands dont work (meta list and sm_version)
So what is wrong ?
sedano132
Old 05-07-2014 , 03:57   Re: Tutorial to prepare (with Stripper) a dedicated server L4D2 (windows)
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsin10 View Post
This is the server's folder: Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server
Addons path: Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server\left4dead2\addons

I can connect to the server but the commands dont work (meta list and sm_version)
So what is wrong ?
If you ask this I was not so clear. I failed. I should re-edit the tutorial.......may be in future.

Anyway:
Install first metamod and only when it is ok go for sourcemod
https://wiki.alliedmods.net/Installing_Metamod:Source this is the best guide.
From there:
  1. Extract the package to your game folder. For example, for Counter-Strike:Source, you would have cstrike/addons/metamod after extracting. If you are uploading to FTP, extract the files locally before transferring to your server's game folder.
  2. Restart your server.
  3. Type "meta version" in your server console (or RCON). You should see a line like: "Loaded As: Valve Server Plugin." If the command is not recognized, see the sections below.
I am not sure what you are doing. Looking at the folders structure seems that
1)you are installing the server in a location near the L4d2 game folders or
2)you are using the "Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server" from the "Library/Tools" section of Steam:
1) Ok. It make no difference but be carefull not to confuse.
2) The folder may be the same but how I have already said here (1.3 Introduction to L4D2 server) I never used this metod and I am not interested
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SssjO3eLnFM

Last edited by sedano132; 05-07-2014 at 03:58.
Bacardi
Veteran Member
Old 05-07-2014 , 04:36   Re: Tutorial to prepare (with Stripper) a dedicated server L4D2 (windows)
Reply With Quote #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsin10 View Post

So what is wrong ?
Using Steam/Tools L4D2 SRCDS
- Don't start that server through Steam/Tools
- Create shortcut (or else batch file) from
...Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server\srcds.exe
- Add server parameters in shortcut properties target field:
Code:
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server\srcds.exe" -console -game left4dead2 +map c1m1_hotel

Last edited by Bacardi; 05-07-2014 at 04:37.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 05-07-2014 , 11:51   Re: Tutorial to prepare (with Stripper) a dedicated server L4D2 (windows)
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
Using Steam/Tools L4D2 SRCDS
- Don't start that server through Steam/Tools
- Create shortcut (or else batch file) from
...Steam\steamapps\common\Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server\srcds.exe
- Add server parameters in shortcut properties target field:
Code:
"D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Left 4 Dead 2 Dedicated Server\srcds.exe" -console -game left4dead2 +map c1m1_hotel
A better idea would be to install it from SteamCMD in the first place.
Old 04-06-2020 , 06:35   Re: Tutorial to prepare (with Stripper) a dedicated server L4D2 (windows)
Reply With Quote #16

A method to connect to your dedicated server L4D2 in the same local net through the lobby when you have trouble to reach it.(May be CSGO too?)

Say thanks to the corona virus.
It only took 10 years but finaly I found a method to connect to your server through the lobby.
Worked 100% of the times that I have tested, replicated the bug every times.
It have a long explanation that lies in a bug of the server code that I think no one has ever had an iteresting in corretting. The mistake born when the client that try to connect to the server has the same external ip of the server and the server cannot handle this.
My fault,for many time, was the attempt to modify the client ip, but the solution is to modify the server ip (with a wrong ip)with a simple setting that, strangely , do not affect the server functionality.
So simply put in the startup command line of the server the setting:
+net_public_adr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Put instead of xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx a fake ip (exemple 151.151.151.151 that problaby will be not your real ip....or use another.....) and this will trick the server that will think that xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is his external ip and it is done. Now you may connect to the server in whatever method you prefere because the client ip(real) do not corresponds with the server ip(fake) and the dummy server accept the client's connection that in reality have the same ip.

Additionaly, but probably not necessary, I prefere also to put in the same line the setting for the internal ip +ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx that is (surprise!) the internal server ip.....(to many word to explaine why but you need to know that if it is the right ip however it do not hurts).

The simple way to do that is to put this setting in the start up command line (Tutorial section 3.5)like this [...YourAnyFolder\serverl4d2\left4dead2\srcds. exe -console -game left4dead2 +map c1m4_atrium +mp_gamemode "survival" +net_public_adr xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx +ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx +port 27015]

You also may set this parameters in the server console on the fly.

If I will find people interested in this I will be more detailed in my explanations.

May be that this might work also with the other games that use the same server platform (may be CSGO too?). Let me know.
Thanks.

Last edited by sedano132; 04-10-2020 at 05:40. Reason: Adding info
Silvers
SourceMod Plugin Approver
Old 04-09-2020 , 18:35   Re: Tutorial to prepare (with Stripper) a dedicated server L4D2 (windows)
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedano132 View Post
Connection to your local dedicated server L4D2 through the lobby.(May be CSGO too?)
I don't understand, I've never had a problem using mm_dedicated_force_server from the lobby to connect myself and other clients to my local dedicated server. I have the ports forwarded so clients can connect. I have this in command line but probably not even required ("-netconport 27505 +hostport 27016 +clientport 27006"). Then I use "mm_dedicated_force_server real_ip:port" and connect. It brings us all in. No where in startup etc do I have to specify my real or local or some fake IP.

Last edited by Silvers; 04-09-2020 at 18:35.
sedano132
Old 04-10-2020 , 05:25   Re: Tutorial to prepare (with Stripper) a dedicated server L4D2 (windows)
Reply With Quote #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvers View Post
I don't understand, I've never had a problem using mm_dedicated_force_server from the lobby to connect myself and other clients to my local dedicated server. I have the ports forwarded so clients can connect. I have this in command line but probably not even required ("-netconport 27505 +hostport 27016 +clientport 27006"). Then I use "mm_dedicated_force_server real_ip:port" and connect. It brings us all in. No where in startup etc do I have to specify my real or local or some fake IP.
Glad for you that you never expierienced this issue.
In effect when I starting with dedicated server me too never had this problem and I always simply used the option in the lobby to select a steam server to choose from,choosed the mine, and that was enough, no needed to use mm_dedicated_force_sever or other option. But afterwards it started to not work properly. I remember 10 years ago that often the server where updated and from time to time something stopped working and it starting to be a problem to connect to a sarver in the same local net.
No portforwarding problem(not so complicated for me and not so complicated to test it) with the proof that external players never had problem to connect. So I started to try to understand and googleing I have found many people with the same issue but never found a real solution(not cosidering the difficulty for those with too little experience naturally). It has become purely random to have or not to have issue trying to connect to a local server(I have a wide range of cases to rely on).
For local server we means not that one done with the game but a stand alone server,obviously.

Found this in the game L4D2 I thinked to have found the solution. It is perfectly my case!!
"mm_dedicated_force_servers" = ""
- Comma delimited list of ip:port of servers used to search for dedicated servers instead of searching for public servers.
Use syntax `publicip1:port|privateip1:port,publicip2:por t|privateip2:port` if your server is behind NAT.
If the server is behind NAT, you can specify `0.0.0.0|privateip:port` and if server port is in the list of `mm_server_search_lan_ports` its public address should be automatically detected.

If it even coded in the game it must work, I thought.......but........

Being a program executed from a machine I would expect that it do every time the same thing and it behave always the same. I was not so lucky.
So I repeat that often to me happens to have trouble to connect to my own server on the same local net. But your words made me think that when I connect from a lobby to the server I am always alone, because I usualy play survival game that you may play alone to do a warm up waiting for some other players and restart a game is not so uncomfortable.
It will be interesting to verify if make some differences to connect alone or with other players in the lobby.
For now I change the title of my previous post to macth better my problem and I hope that this help someone with the same issue.

Last edited by sedano132; 04-10-2020 at 07:20.