Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Sourcemod vs. Mani's

Post New Thread Reply   

CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2007 , 19:22   Sourcemod vs. Mani's
Reply With Quote #1

I am very pro Sourcemod but one of my clan mates whose very interested in helping with everything is stressing out about features we really seem to be lacking using Sourcemod, and he really wants to switch to Mani's.

I know a lot of people switch from Mani's to Sourcemod, and I for one really like SM. My problem is that he is right about SM just lacking a lot. Granted its very open source and really allows anything to be made, but some of the essential things such as a good team balancer, class limits (Nicans seems to be pretty broken now) and just other basic things like voting for the nextmap, bringing map vote back up if you missed it, etc.

I was happy to see more things being added, but I don't really think we need beacon, and freeze, etc. when a lot of features admins really need are missing.

Anyways, can you guys give me some reasons why Sourcemod > Mani's aside from the fact you can do custom plugins for SM and it has a massive amount of support? These things are enough to keep me happy, but a lot of players and clan mates do not see it that way, and actually want features that our servers lacking and others are not.
CrimsonGT
Veteran Member
Old 12-31-2007 , 19:43   Re: Sourcemod vs. Mani's
Reply With Quote #2

Just wanted to hop back on here. If I came across as unappreciative, I certainly did not mean to, I really appreciate all the work you guys do so we can run great servers. Just gets stressful hearing day in and day out about what our server doesn't have rather than what it does have.
krod
Old 12-31-2007 , 19:57   Re: Sourcemod vs. Mani's
Reply With Quote #3

I am in the midst of switching from mani to sourcemod, and sourcemod nearly has every feature mani does. (By default and 3rd party plugins)

LocutusH
Old 01-01-2008 , 08:21   Re: Sourcemod vs. Mani's
Reply With Quote #4

We switched from 5 years MAP to SM 3 days ago.

First the drawback: these 3 days was pure bughunt and fix Really. We worked 2 on the bugs, that came every minute out, as players filled our server again.
Players are not so patient, as we are. If something does not work, or does not work the way it should, they begin to cry, and leave the server.
Just little things:
1. rtv does not have a "ignore last x played maps".
2. rtv interferes with mapchooser sometimes, causing a loop and redisplaying the votes again and again
3. mapchooser didnt had a "extend+teamswitch" option. (now it has, we have modified it)
4. hlstatsx had also numerous bugs, due to bad documentation and misconfiguring, but we managed to get rid all of them
5. ads plugin is buggy with the color code, and this interferes with hlstatsx messages too
6. atac system is also bugged at many points, it seems to log everything IP based, and not STEAMID, however this is set. And it was also bugged by the mp_tkpunish 1, wich did not work while mani was on the server, so we didnt know about its effects. We just wondered why the player was slayed on next round, if there was a forgive.
7. No working warmup plugin. And there is still none. There is a plugin that provides a restart in 60 seconds, but this is very far away from a warmup as we known it in MAP.
8. No fully configurable roundend stats plugin. There is one bei gemeini, wich is really good, but lacks on some settings, and has bugs also. (hope he fixes them soon)
9. The bank mysql plugin has it flaws also. The menus and commands cant be translated.
10. The bounty plugins centertexts are very irritating, and cannot be modified (only on source sp). Also i think that if someone TK-s a bountyed player, he also gets the money... (i think even on suicide, the player gets the bounty from his own head)
11. The bet plugin has its faults also. Spectators can also bet, and if you have 0 money and type bet t all, u dont get an appropriate message, just a "please use one of the correct phrases like half all ..." message...
12. Forgot one of the biggest flaws. NO VOTE STATUS INDICATOR! Votes just come in, and the result is displayed at some time. None can know, wich option leads, or when the vote ends, how many votes very cast...

So we are still working on these things, and waiting for updates.

The positive sides are:
- you can FEEL that it has better performance
- no need to use ES anymore
- easier to customize, and add our own plugins (for the future)
- better TK system by ATAC
- plugins are easy to turn off via mapconfigs (for example bank, bet, bounty and restricts off on fy/aim etc maps)
- the restrict system is also better than mani's. We use a basic restriction, and a dynamic winning team restriction also.
- reserved slots work way better with the hreservedslots plugin!!
- yghpr can also control loss and choke on the users, not just ping

I may have forgotten some things, but thats pretty much the stand of the things right now.

Hope that this is allowed here, but you can visit our server if you wish:

It only lets people from some of the EU countries in, and is almost always full

Last edited by LocutusH; 01-01-2008 at 08:34.