Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Multilines kick reason

Post New Thread Reply   

Teyut
Old 11-12-2006 , 16:23   Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #1

Hi !

When you use the kick command on a server con, you can give a reason for that kick using the following scheme:
Code:
kick (name | #userid) [reason]
The problem is that the reason message is a one line message. If you want it to be displayed on multiple lines, you can count how many characters can fit on each lines of the kick popup dialog, and then format your reason message accordingly. That's painfull since HL characters don't have the same width, thus that won't work with dynamic reason messages.

A better solution could be to forge a kick packet which contains a multilines reason message. This can be done using the following kick_ML method: way:
Code:
#define SVC_DISCONNECT  2 /* SVC_DISCONNECT: ask the client to disconnect and show the given string in a popup dialog.  *  -> (string) kick_reason: reason of the kick. It is shown to the client via  *                           a popup dialog. Its content can't be large.  *  * Note: such messages are sent when using the <kick> command, or when the client  *      disconnect himself. In the latter, no popup dialog is shown.  */ /* Kick with a multilines reason. Return 0 if an error has occured. */ kick_ML(id, line1[] = "", line2[] = "", line3[] = "") {     if(!is_valid_ent(id)) return 0     new msg_content[1024], pl_name[32], pl_userid, pl_authid[35]         /* grab logging infos */     pl_userid = get_user_userid(id)     get_user_name(id, pl_name, 31)     get_user_authid(id, pl_authid, 34)         /* do kick the player */     format(msg_content, 1023, "%s^n%s^n%s", line1, line2, line3)     message_begin(MSG_ONE, SVC_DISCONNECT, {0,0,0}, id)     write_string(msg_content)     message_end()         /* log the kick as <kick> command do */     log_message("Kick_ML: ^"%s<%d><%s><>^" was kicked by ^"Console^" (message ^"%s^" ^"%s^" ^"%s^")",         pl_name, pl_userid, pl_authid, line1, line2, line3)     return 1 }

There's only 3 lines available in the popup dialog. These lines should not contain a lot of text of course ... Here's a sample dialog:

[IMG]http://img292.**************/img292/5623/kickmlxv5.th.jpg[/IMG]

I needed to do that for a plugin, so I though someone could need it too. The main interesting thing here is not that the ^n escape character create a new line, but that the SVC_KICK message do kick the player and show the reason message (without checking if it's a multines one or not).

I didn't find informations about HL specific message types anywhere, so I though it could be usefull. Here are some others message types I found:
Code:
#define SVC_PRINT   8 /* SVC_PRINT: show the given string in the client console.  *  -> (string) message: message to display in the client console.  */ #define SVC_STUFFTEXT   9 /* SVC_STUFFTEXT: send command for the client to execute.  *  -> (string) command_line: command to execute remotely.  *  * Note: commands correspond to the classic HL console commands.  */

Sorry if such infos have already been posted before. I was just testing the layout of my post, and click on the "submit message" button instead of the "Preview Changes" one. I didn't want to post my message right now, but since you can't delete your own messages, I had no choice but to do it

Last edited by Teyut; 12-29-2009 at 18:55. Reason: Fix SVC names, and server crash.
Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 11-12-2006 , 16:38   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #2

Sounds interesting. Can you show a screen shot of it in action?
Old 11-12-2006 , 16:50   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #3

Like I explained it above, I wasn't really ready to post my message when you saw it. The (almost) final version is now available, with a screenshot as you asked Its content is in french, but that shouldn't be a real problem

I'm sorry for the typo and english mistakes, but I'm unable to edit my message again without messing the Pwan code parts
k007
BANNED
Old 11-12-2006 , 16:56   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #4

sweet dude
Send a message via MSN to k007
Old 11-12-2006, 19:22
Da_sk8rboy
This message has been deleted by Brad. Reason: off-topic
VEN
Veteran Member
Old 11-14-2006 , 10:56   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #5

Correction: it's SVC_DISCONNECT, not SVC_KICK.
Brad
AMX Mod X Team Member
Old 11-14-2006 , 13:03   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #6

Is it possible to use color in the message?
Old 12-08-2006 , 00:11   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #7

My testing indicates that you can not use color in the message.
Old 02-28-2009 , 19:06   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #8

Sorry for bringing up old topics, but I think this belongs here...

I'm using this kick method to kick players from the server after they have failed the admin-check in the client_authorized() function and there are no free slots, however it sometimes fails and crashes server with this message (totally random... sometimes crashes 3 times in 10 minutes, sometimes can go on for 3-4 mapchanges):

Quote:
L 03/01/2009 - 01:29:53: FATAL ERROR (shutting down): MSG_ONE or MSG_ONE_UNRELIABLE with no target entity

FATAL ERROR (shutting down): MSG_ONE or MSG_ONE_UNRELIABLE with no target entity

Add "-debug" to the ./hlds_run command line to generate a debug.log to help with solving this problem
Sun Mar 1 01:29:53 EET 2009: Server restart in 10 seconds
I'm using the loopback method by register_clcmd(g_cmdSignal, "ackSignal") and then issuign Kick_ML. The function is_user_connected() always returns false, but is_user_connecting() - true. So the question is - how can I know if I can send message to the player with message_begin() if the player shows up as not connected? I also tried to check player with (pev(id,pev_flags) & FL_CLIENT), but it returns false, so it's useless.

Help would be appreciated!
Teyut
Old 02-28-2009 , 23:40   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilworm View Post
Quote:
FATAL ERROR (shutting down): MSG_ONE or MSG_ONE_UNRELIABLE with no target entity
[...]
So the question is - how can I know if I can send message to the player with message_begin() if the player shows up as not connected?
From what I understand reading the AMXX/HLSDK source code, such crashes happen when the last parameter (player entity) of the MESSAGE_BEGIN macro is NULL. The AMXX core doesn't check for such a case before calling that macro (the result of INDEXENT should be checked before use in unicast messages)

I've fixed that bug in the kick_ML() method (see above) calling the is_valid_ent() method (engine module) before doing anything. If the kick can't work, the method will return 0. Note however that is_valid_ent() does almost the same things as is_user_connected(), so it may not really help you, but at least, it should fix that server crash (I haven't test the code actually).

If you really want to kick players that are connecting but are not yet connected, you'll need to find a way to retrieve the result of the HL engine method pfnPEntityOfEntIndex: if it's non-zero, then you may kick the player. But I haven't find an AMXX module which provides a direct access to that method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VEN View Post
Correction: it's SVC_DISCONNECT, not SVC_KICK.
Fixed, thanks. I didn't know where to find the correct names.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
My testing indicates that you can not use color in the message.
Sorry about my lack of answer You were right: it's not possible (I guess it is with Source).

Last edited by Teyut; 03-01-2009 at 00:11.
ConnorMcLeod
Veteran Member
Old 03-01-2009 , 03:14   Re: Multilines kick reason
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teyut View Post
Fixed, thanks. I didn't know where to find the correct names.
Quote:
Originally Posted by message_const.inc
/* Hardcoded message types for message_begin()
* Look in the actual HLSDK for details!
*/
#define SVC_NOP 1
#define SVC_DISCONNECT 2
#define SVC_EVENT 3
#define SVC_VERSION 4
#define SVC_SETVIEW 5
#define SVC_SOUND 6
#define SVC_TIME 7
#define SVC_PRINT 8
#define SVC_STUFFTEXT 9
#define SVC_SETANGLE 10