Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Help How to turn off radar CSDM? and podbot

Post New Thread Reply   

KWo
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 11-18-2006 , 04:08   Re: Help How to turn off radar CSDM? and podbot
Reply With Quote #11

OK - now I've got what You meant. But how about that below?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAILOPAN View Post
If there was a radar_disable option for the FFA section (0=none, 1=scramble, 2=client disable), with 1 being the default, I'd say it's okay. But changing client settings by default is bad.
You mean - if I'll add the option "radar_disable" in FFA section with default 1=scramble action, that stuff with hideradar can stay in the code (for the option 2=client disable)? If some server admin will decide to use that option - the clients of his server will have the same issues, so it will be bad anyway...

About that scramble - maybe there is a way to "clean" the radar - send to the user the info (as radar message) like "the teamnates are dead" (or something like that) - so the radar will show nothing. As I described it few posts before and the user was complaining, too, the current method (in the original csdm_ffa plugin) is not satisfacting, so we need to find some better solution.
BAILOPAN
Old 11-18-2006 , 05:53   Re: Help How to turn off radar CSDM? and podbot
Reply With Quote #12

I don't understand why it's not satisfactory.

The "Radar" network message packs a user index and their coordinates. CSDM prevents the message from ever being sent, so the info never arrives to the client. I've tested this and the radar quickly degrades into being unusable. Since the radar is almost entirely handled client-side, you will be hard-pressed to find another solution.
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 11-18-2006 , 06:26   Re: Help How to turn off radar CSDM? and podbot
Reply With Quote #13

Please, make the following test:
Start the game with FFA disabled, CSDM enabled. Then - during the game - enable FFA. Yes - the radar is unusable - but looks kinda odd with that info You can see there (last position of teamnates before FFA was enabled). Especially these blinking points (meaning that some Your n00b-teamnate is talking something by radio right now - which is not "filtered" by that hook_radar function) look strange...
I would say I'll be staisfied if I can see the radar empty (no useful and no un-useful info there).
I know You are too much busy to work on such stupid things - but if You have the info what is the syntax of the radar message - what the info is there and what are the components of it - I can try to look at it to make it better. Eventually I can ask someone more experienced than me with this to help me out.
BAILOPAN
Old 11-18-2006 , 20:46   Re: Help How to turn off radar CSDM? and podbot
Reply With Quote #14

I don't think this is an issue. You can try sending a fake message for every player to everyone's radar if FFA is enabled in the middle of a game, to re-scramble the radar. But past that, I'm not going to merge in anything that sacrifices speed or complexity to solve an extremely minor "problem."

I don't recall the message format. You will have to use something like Damaged Soul's Message Logger to find its exact structure. But it's probably something like: BYTE, COORD, COORD, COORD (id, x, y, z).
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 11-19-2006 , 05:03   Re: Help How to turn off radar CSDM? and podbot
Reply With Quote #15

Lets assume:
1. client_cmd(0, "hideradar") You don't like because it switches off the radar for the client without his permission and he is not able to see the radar anymore. Well because I'm very bad guy and I don't believe in everything what I can read (even if it's written by so big authority person as You ;) ) I've tested it and what I saw is this:
a) if You use "disconnect", then just after that You connect to another server - that's true - the radar isn't displayed.
b) if You use "exit" function then You connect to another server the radar is displayed normally.
AMX version uses hideradar since long time before KRoT@L started maintain the new topic for it and there was no complain about that in the old topic nor in the new one. In the new topic there was already more than 20000 downloads, then someoone hacked their forum, so KRoT@L had to re-upload the file again, so now You can see only about 800 downloads. So - I believe this is not so serious problem we should completly reject such option like hideradar.

2. Tampering with radar messages and changing their info about teamplayers positions may really affect game playing (I mean speed of the server) if it's done in *.sma, but if You could make it in csdm module it should work much faster and shouldn't affect the speed of the server...

3. Forget for now about my complaints (because I'm always complaining ) - just why that user - topic-starter - was complaining then if he shouldn't see the issue with the scramble work of the radar? If he was complaining, other people may complain about that, too.

This what is the problem/issue for some person doesn't need to be the problem/issue for another person.

My final proposal is - like You mentioned it before - for now I can add the option scramble/hide radar for ffa with default scramble (I don't think the option (0) with leaving the radar for FFA enabled as it is for normal game deserves to be there - but maybe You know some reasons why it should be also there?) and the people will be able to use it or not if they will want. If it will be possible and You will have time in the future - You can think if it's possbile to hack radar messages in csdm module to clean the radar (make it empty for the user).
But as always - the final word and the decision is up to You.