Post New Thread Closed Thread   

IceMouse[WrG]
Old 08-03-2004 , 09:49  

[quote="Bluepeace"]
I'm in a rush, so I'll keep it short
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMouse[WrG
]
The topic title is "Once a Patch, Now a Fork" and thus you lose.
The point was that it cannot change status from patch to fork without updating... And saying "0.20 will change this" isn't good enough, as it isn't out
Quote:
My reason for mentioning it: you asked. As for the plot, you'll have to trust me (ha ha!). Anyway. The AMX RCs were more stable than the AMX official releases? That's not something to be proud of.
Well one would expect a candidate to be released to be stable, as you would expect a potential employee to be able to do his job
Quote:
I submit that you do not fully understand the situation, and thus you are in a poor position to debate. As for "the past," the largest concerns have been those in the present -- this is a real and current issue which is occurring now.
Alright, the post was that AMXx should have been more professional about this. Not that AMX is better, or anything like that... I wasn't attempting to debate... I merely said it was in poor taste, and it's a shame that things had to sink so low... And what I meant for putting the past behind us, while these may be present issues, the communities separated a year ago... There is no need to bash them now, no matter what they do.

And the one who asked why they wouldn't stay together: OLO wouldn't let them at the time AMXx was started
Send a message via AIM to IceMouse[WrG] Send a message via MSN to IceMouse[WrG] Send a message via Yahoo to IceMouse[WrG]
SniperBeamer
AMX Mod X Founder
Old 08-03-2004 , 09:56  

dJeyL and OLO suggested to start a new project which is called differently.
So this is what we did.
Old 08-03-2004 , 10:04  

AMX had JIT in it about 5 pre released versions back. It also had multi-langauge support in it before amxx posted about that in the forums.

After reading your announcement about multi language support and 64 bit processing, i thought someone had leaked the content of the next amx to you and you were trying to trump amx.

I requested map specific settings to be added to amx right from the start of the development as it is something adminmod had and is often requested in the amx forums. So if anything, we were copying adminmod.

I can say that i have ported a couple of amxx plugins which have been further improved upon, back to amx 0.99 to save me time but they were ported from amx in the first place. I havent published these as they are for my use. Although it is possible i will add them to the relevent amx thread. However, that is no different to what you have done here and thats good that these can be shared this way.

The 0.99 release and future releases have got nothing to do with AMXX. There was no agenda against amxx. We didnt want to the AMX project to die as it had a strong user base and active forums. I am happy to admit that I was getting a bit fed up with the AMX is dead posts and it doesnt work when it clearly did. That helped push us towards initially releasing a tidy up version along with clear documentation. That initially was as far as it was going to go. Which is why there were no announcements or anything. However, it soon became apparant that there were people not involved with amxx who had the skills and time and desire to continue building on amx. So from going from a boring tidy up release we ended up with a full release with updates and plans to release future updates. Many of those involved with AMX now dont have any connection with AMXX so have no personal agendas or views either way. So there is no reason for amxx team to be paranoid about it.

As i have said in other posts, those here are going to favour AMXX as this is their home, those on adminmod forums are going to favour adminmod and same with AMX.

Stick with what you like. There is enough room from adminmod, amx and amxx. Good humoured bantering fine. Nasty sniping is not.
195.20.109.115:27015 No Sniper/AWP, 32player
http://loonyasylum.net
Bluepeace
Old 08-03-2004 , 10:17  

Quote:
]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepeace
The topic title is "Once a Patch, Now a Fork" and thus you lose.
The point was that it cannot change status from patch to fork without updating... And saying "0.20 will change this" isn't good enough, as it isn't out
You missed the point.

Quote:
]
Quote:
My reason for mentioning it: you asked. As for the plot, you'll have to trust me (ha ha!). Anyway. The AMX RCs were more stable than the AMX official releases? That's not something to be proud of.
Well one would expect a candidate to be released to be stable, as you would expect a potential employee to be able to do his job
You don't understand software development.

Next post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDoom (edited for clarity)
whine whine whine!
I guess you weren't planning on saying anything that was 1) relevant, 2) true, 3) sensical. All that stuff made no sense. Are you tryin' to make some sense??
Old 08-03-2004 , 10:25  

DoubleDoom, stop trolling.

The Multi-Lingual idea for both mods branched from T(+)rget's idea.
The JIT was happenstance, but you can verify that we dealt with at a specific point in time:
Click Here I don't know what AMX got their linux version working, but that's when we obtained it (I'll note neither AMX or AMXx deserves credit for this, Grum was the one to do all the work).

Lastly, the 64bit development is another area in and of itself.
PM and I did a lot of thinking about this because no one has actually implemented it before. We conceptualized a method for doing it months ago and then finally implemented it in a 3 day coding spree (yes, three days) when we wanted to make 0.20 as big of a release as possible.

The 64bit stuff is entirely OUR research, OUR testing, OUR code (be it Open Source, we still DID it). It's entirely original and I am offended that you would dismiss the time PM and I put into it as negligible. Did you even bother to think with more than eight brain cells before you wrote that?

As always, we share EVERYTHING we find... we printed full specifications on our 64bit port as well as source code so AMX, AM, and ITB CompuPhase can benefit from this too (of course, I would hope they respect the GPL).

Lastly, I'd be very interested if dJeyL manages to do a 64bit port without changing the file format. He once said that 64bit was impossible before we did it, and our only other idea was heavy internal modification of the Abstract Machine.

AMD64 Public Writeup
Old 08-03-2004 , 10:27  

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDoom (edited for clarity)
whine whine whine!
I guess you weren't planning on saying anything that was 1) relevant, 2) true, 3) sensical. All that stuff made no sense. Are you tryin' to make some sense??
This is exactly the sort of post you expect from a 13 year old who enjoys creating animosity when there doesnt need to be any.

Quote:
DoubleDoom, stop trolling.
Hmm, the only people that seem to have an issue over this are those involved in the amxx development. Why post comments if you dont want a response. Every response made by someone from amxx is negative. Why do you want there to be this attitude?

Quote:
Lastly, I'd be very interested if dJeyL manages to do a 64bit port without changing the file format. He once said that 64bit was impossible before we did it.
Oh well, we will see soon enough then wont we.
Bluepeace
Old 08-03-2004 , 11:04  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDoom
Hmm, the only people that seem to have an issue over this are those involved in the amxx development. Why post comments if you dont want a response. Every response made by someone from amxx is negative. Why do you want there to be this attitude?
Every response made by someone from AMXx has content. Apparently, you're willing to settle for bullshit and hope that readers think it's content.
Old 08-03-2004 , 11:21  

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleDoom
Every response made by someone from AMXx has content. Apparently, you're willing to settle for bullshit and hope that readers think it's content.
You mean that every response from someone from AMXx is what you have chosen to read and accept rather than anyone elses who is not involved from AMXx. Next post from Bailopan saying that he has won the lottery and is giving the money to amxx users, i expect to see you at the front of the gullible queue.

Look, all I am saying is that AMX did not set out to spite AMXx regardless of what some people said. Some people were not allowed to continue development of AMX so they set out with AMXx. Nothing wrong with that. AMX is continuing to be developed by those remaining. Nothing wrong with that. The only thing wrong is the slagging off which doesnt need to happen.

In reality, most dont care about the ins and outs of AMX or AMXx as long as it works and does what they want it to do. If they have a choice thats good for them and let them decide.
SniperBeamer
AMX Mod X Founder
Old 08-03-2004 , 11:47  

Thank you all for the really interesting disucssion.