Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

Once a Patch, Now a Fork

Post New Thread Closed Thread   

SniperBeamer
AMX Mod X Founder
Old 08-02-2004 , 19:14   Once a Patch, Now a Fork

We have noticed that AMX Mod has, to everyone's surprise, updated. To help people decide which mod is a better choice, we have created a little chart comparing various features of AMX Mod X and AMX Mod.

In short, we're disappointed that AMX Mod has deceived the community for over a year and kept such a poor development process, but it's time for us to move on.

AMX Mod X vs. AMX Mod Comparsion Chart

EDIT: Before reading the posts in this thread, equip yourself with a flame preventing HEV suit.
Old 08-02-2004 , 20:26  

I will wait for AMXX next release and put that on our servers, the lack of development and the inability to address things like the shield crashing with AMX are the reasons we are here watching and waiting for AMXX.
You guys and gals have been doing a great job you picked up a dropped torch to keep it burning. I am looking forward to AMXX now and with the upcoming Source engine. Keep up the good work
Burnzy
Veteran Member
Old 08-02-2004 , 20:43  

the key word in this sentence is "attempted"

it will never happen
Veteran Member
Old 08-02-2004 , 21:11  

it makes no sence first it was said that amxmod was not being developed anymore and now there trying to update it, what is the purpose of this
why did they stop it in the first place if they were not willing to let it go,
why would Djeyl and the remaining staff say that it has stopped yet there
trying to update/develope....
with these facts i hope that the communities will see what actually is happening and that amxmod is sinking to a level that is very low and it is a level i personally wouldnt have seen amxmod fall to, atleast they should make a statement of there purpose or quit the attempt of developing it
further in this hopeless yet question rising matter that is dead in many peoples opinion.
BAILOPAN
Old 08-02-2004 , 21:14  

The purpose of this post is to show that we were once a set of patches against the AMX Mod system. We are now a full fork, a separate mod with a separate path. This is the only and last time we will make a news post like this.

Choose wisely :]
Old 08-02-2004 , 21:21  

Comparison chart comments:
  • Quote:
    1. AMX Mod X can compile and run AMX plugins, but AMX cannot reciprocate this compatibility.
    This is obvious for many reasons. You continued development when the original projects future was unknown.

Quote:
    2. AMX's Module API is heavily broken and dangerously unstable. It has known memory leaks and crash problems, and is especially volatile on Listen Servers.
    My 1.5 server (the hlds process, not the machine) had an uptime of over 90 days and logged over 85,000 (85k) players before I retired it to being upgraded to Steam. It was running AMX 0.9.8a.

Quote:
    4. AMX Mod X has a multi-lingual system that is tied across the client, the server, plugins, and modules. It features a high-speed lookup routine and an intuitive method of storing language translations. AMX's Multi-Lingual system is virtually nonexistant, features a poor lookup routine (text read), and is mainly client based.
    http://amxmod.net/doc/?p=amxaddlangs
    http://amxmod.net/doc/?p=amxlangconf
Your post regarding the release.
  • Quote:
    We have noticed that AMX Mod has, to everyone's surprise, attempted to update. We hope that you will (like we do) simply ignore this
    There's nothing to ignore. I don't remember seeing anything like this on the AM forum when AMX first came out.

Quote:
    In short, we're disappointed that AMX Mod has deceived the community for over a year and kept such a poor development process, but it's time for us to move on.
    I would like to know what your definition of deception is? You think this was the plan from the day 0.9.6j was posted?
Seams like alot of these points would have never been made except now your project is AMXx. It seams you also dwell on the negative points of AMX's past without regard to it's future goals. I didn't address some of the points because you seam to forget the 0.9.9 is. It's an update. Some of what you say in those points in simply wrong. I knew this would probabaly cause a stir with the AMXx crowd but this was more that I personally expected. It seams there are many nagitive feelings here. This will no doubt trickle from you down into your community which I hope doesn't happen. No one has wronged you. No one set out to ruin your day. The AMXx project was not wrong in it's creation. So like I said the day AMXx was posted on the AMX forums, can we have a clean break? Take your project as far as you can. Make it something great. But lets not bicker.
Deagle
Veteran Member
Old 08-02-2004 , 21:22  

Rename the similarity to something else then amx and truly show the communities that this has nothing to do with amxmod,
my first intuition the day i saw amxmodx was that there was and alliance
or bind between the two i now know that there isnt, many people still believes that this is amxmods follower/overtaker, kill the rumors and thourds and give it a name of your own, what amxmod did is not acceptable by any means, stating it is finished and there attempt of further development deserve no better then to be erased totally from memories
BAILOPAN
Old 08-02-2004 , 21:38  

Quote:
This is obvious for many reasons. You continued development when the original projects future was unknown.
That does not make what was said false.

Quote:
My 1.5 server (the hlds process, not the machine) had an uptime of over 90 days and logged over 85,000 (85k) players before I retired it to being upgraded to Steam. It was running AMX 0.9.8a.
The problems are inherent with Steam. FakeMeta makes the AMXx module API _much_ stronger in terms of stability, debugging, and interoperability. The difference between the module API is actually the ROOT of how AMX Mod X is superior... once you understand this difference, you can realize that AMX Mod X can be "The last mod you ever need".

About the multi-lingual issue, I think that our system is better. We don't require the _T() mechanism (which is weird, since everything can be implemented at the format_amxstring() level). Also, our lookup system is optimized for interoperability between the core, plugins, and modules. It's global instead of plugin specific, and the text definition files are more organized (all languages in one file). The definition files are also "compiled" into a binary file for faster lookup.

"Let's not bicker"... I agree, this will hopefully be the only time we lash out with some tactics like this. However, I do believe AMX Mod deceived the community and has an extremely poor development process (just READ the source to AMX Mod, it was never meant to even be good "open source" code).

As I said before, the mods are taking their own separate paths. There is nothing wrong with posting a comparison chart about various features for a similar product.
Veteran Member
Old 08-02-2004 , 21:39  

The main problem that Amx has had for a long time is that its last offical release wasn't used by anyone. Everyone I talked to used 097 or 098.. noone used 096. However anyone new to it would be getting 096 and any problems it had. The forums were also screwed up totally (I tried 4 different email addresses, never got a confirmation email, moderators/admins were impossible to contact)

I think that it was a good thing that amxx came along, and I *think* once we reach 1.0, we will have a lot more people
Veteran Member
Old 08-02-2004 , 22:23  

Personally I am annoying by the AMX "update" esp because they went back the 0.9.3 style of declaring the module sin the MM plugins.ini, this is gonna make it harder to switch my testing server back and forst from amx to amxx, I will prob have to make two shortcuts and two MM plugins.ini files (uhg like i need more shortcuts in my cs folder cause I already have 42)

I was hoping that amx would just go away..... steam needs to release a new update that just totally breaks AMX. No offence to any amx supporters but its just annoying to have to try and support two similar but very different systems. Just like won and steam (yay won is finally gone!).