Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula

Post New Thread Reply   

Research
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-25-2014 , 19:58   Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #1

I'll try study sourcemod using sp files. I don't know 'What does this word mean' so question here.

FF2: BossHealthMax[boss]*(LastBossIndex()+1)*BossLivesMax[boss]*(0.12-Stabbed[boss]/90);

- 'Stabbed[boss]': spy's normal backstab damage?

VSH: (Pow(float(HaleHealthMax)*0.0014, 2.0) + 899.0) - (float(HaleHealthMax)*(Stabbed/100);

- Stabbed: is it same in FF2?
Pow: what is this?
MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 07-25-2014 , 20:13   Re: Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #2

Stabbed is the amount of times Hale has been backstabbed. ...I think. At least, it's like that in the VSH I have.

Pow is exponent (power of).
Veteran Member
Old 07-25-2014 , 20:14   Re: Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #3

Pow: http://docs.sourcemod.net/api/index....d=show&id=717&
In other words, power (eg 5^2=25).

Stabbed[boss] seems to be the amount of times that the boss has been backstabbed, up to a max of 3.

EDIT: ALLIEDMODDERS WHY CAN'T YOU BE LIKE EVERY OTHER FORUM AND WARN WHEN SOMEBODY POSTED ABOVE YOU ;-;

Last edited by Wliu; 07-25-2014 at 20:14.
Research
SourceMod Donor
Old 07-25-2014 , 20:18   Re: Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #4

What a quick reply
Thanks!
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 07-25-2014 , 20:36   Re: Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #5

VSH's backstab formula: (MaxHP*0.0014)^2 + 899 - MaxHP*(Stabbed/100)
FF2's backstab formula: HP*0.12 - (Stabbed/90)

I made the rebalanced VSH formula because

VSH 1v1 spy: backstab does 907
FF2 1v1 spy: backstab does around 200 and is worthless compared to your pistol

VSH 1v1 spy: It's much harder to backstab in a 1v1 scenario
FF2 1v1 spy: Doesn't reward the fact that it's much harder to backstab in that scenario. It's still harder to backstab in 2v1 as well... etc.

VSH's formula used to be the same as FF2 until I made the new formula.

Last edited by Chdata; 07-25-2014 at 20:37.
MasterOfTheXP
Veteran Member
Old 07-25-2014 , 21:59   Re: Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wliu View Post
Stabbed[boss] seems to be the amount of times that the boss has been backstabbed, up to a max of 3.
Oh, there's something I forgot to mention. In VSH 1.42, Stabbed caps out at 5, so it's probably changed now, or was changed for FF2.
Quote:
EDIT: ALLIEDMODDERS WHY CAN'T YOU BE LIKE EVERY OTHER FORUM AND WARN WHEN SOMEBODY POSTED ABOVE YOU ;-;
Veteran Member
Old 07-25-2014 , 22:23   Re: Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #7

Stabs shouldn't do boatloads of damage with few players. Its better for a stab to do 200-300 with few players, than upwards of 1k, where bosses often only have around 2-3k. It's still better than a revolver shot of 45 or so, and since it's scaled, it's the same percentage it would do if there were more players.

A better approach to the knife problem would be to make knives have some kind of scaling meter, where it does ramped damage based off of charge. This would also remove any need for the knife cooldown that exists now. If you wildly swing and facestab, you hit for mabye 30 on backstab, but if you wait some 15 seconds, you can do the full 12% backstab, or perhaps a more generous 200 or so facestab. This would also stop those noskill spies from topping charts vs hales that are so ewhat inexperinces, as it would limit their dps.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 07-25-2014 , 23:57   Re: Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #8

Eh, at around 3-7 players I don't see 1k damage backstabs as a huge threat. Against a seriously unaware Hale it would be, but when the player count is low generally a Hale player's attention is less divided and it's so much easier for them to single out spies. Also since revolvers always minicrit, it's 43 - 54 - 65. With crits, 96 - 120 - 144, it's a joke when your revolver is that much better than the work/risk/luck/skill involved with getting a backstab for 200.

It's easy enough to constantly backstab average players when they player count is really high though, which is where that scaling meter would be very useful against spies who can dance around Hale while he's in a crowd like I do. I guess it could work like Sniper's charge meter. I wouldn't make it help with facestabs though.

But I kinda don't wanna completely destroy that whole dancing thing either, so I'd probably make 0 charge be 30% damage. Or something. I'd probably try to make it like sniping. You can do more if you're getting headshots with no charge, but if you're the type of player that can't do more in a short amount of time, then just wait till you have charge and do a lot at once. So if you can pull off constant backstabs quickly, then it'll be similar damage to letting it charge.

Last edited by Chdata; 07-26-2014 at 00:02.
friagram
Veteran Member
Old 07-26-2014 , 05:00   Re: Question FF2, VSH Backstab formula
Reply With Quote #9

I added the charge meter concept to my ff2 today, it works ok.
I just do linear scaling for now, with 10 seconds since last stab giving them 100% of the normal formula, and less time since, less damage.

So if they wait 10 seconds since last backstab, they will hit for ~ 3500 or whatever, but if they spam stab after stab, they will hit for 180-200 right after. I also adjusted the rage gain on lesser-stabs, so he still gets some decent rage gain off of the weaker stabs, which should further discourage spamming.

Might be better to use an exponential formula, or give some 10% bonus at full charge. Time will tell.
I didn't make it deplete the meter if they miss though, or facestab, only if they land a backstab, so they are guaranteed some normal damage, they just can't dance around him and spam m1.