Post New Thread Reply   

fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 04-21-2021 , 00:59   Re: Current map name edit in "find servers"
Reply With Quote #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsisd2 View Post
pretty sure that page is meant for Team Fortress 2
It was stated in a HLDS mailing list, see here. Also, there is nothing perventing this community from having the same or similar policy. The policy of truth is a good policy and there is no reason to not follow it.
Old 04-21-2021 , 13:26   Re: Current map name edit in "find servers"
Reply With Quote #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by fysiks View Post
It was stated in a HLDS mailing list, see here. Also, there is nothing perventing this community from having the same or similar policy. The policy of truth is a good policy and there is no reason to not follow it.
some things are harmless and i don`t see why would harm anyone like
example
lets say i have some maps named de_dust2x2, de_dust2x3, de_dust2_snow and on, i want them to show as de_dust2, that wont kill anyone, plus maps can be renamed by file name, if someone don`t like it, they don`t have to come into my server, there are plenty of servers

if we think about truth, we shouldn`t change things like weapon damage, player speed and things like that, since it changes the game

i see that valve posted about that bots tags (they also stated they weren`t going to do anything about it) if i join a server, they can have fake ping for bots, custom names, they can even send chat msg, in 5 seconds watching them move i know it is a bot, if they make a rule thats its not allowed i will accept, but such things are harmless, all it will acomplish on that server is me not joining in anymore

Last edited by tarsisd2; 04-21-2021 at 13:28.
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 04-21-2021 , 19:37   Re: Current map name edit in "find servers"
Reply With Quote #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsisd2 View Post
some things are harmless and i don`t see why would harm anyone like
example
lets say i have some maps named de_dust2x2, de_dust2x3, de_dust2_snow and on, i want them to show as de_dust2, that wont kill anyone, plus maps can be renamed by file name, if someone don`t like it, they don`t have to come into my server, there are plenty of servers

if we think about truth, we shouldn`t change things like weapon damage, player speed and things like that, since it changes the game

i see that valve posted about that bots tags (they also stated they weren`t going to do anything about it) if i join a server, they can have fake ping for bots, custom names, they can even send chat msg, in 5 seconds watching them move i know it is a bot, if they make a rule thats its not allowed i will accept, but such things are harmless, all it will acomplish on that server is me not joining in anymore
Just because its being done does not mean its the right thing to do. Not everyone is as alert as you are in those situations. There have been multiple cases of scams and accounts being taken and damaged due to this issue prior. It's a good policy and applies to all games under Valve.
Old 04-30-2021 , 12:56   Re: Current map name edit in "find servers"
Reply With Quote #14

I often change my maps name with no aditional plugins.

Example:

There is no CACHE map on CS 1.6 , there is only a CSS_CACHE cs 1.6 version.
I use Galileo as my votemap plugin and people can nominante maps.
I have only DE_ and CS_ maps available for nominating, so, i changed CSS_CACHE to DE_CACHE, this way i inserted CACHE on DE_list and players still recognize it.

This is nothing harmless, on the contrary, this helps CS 1.6 community.

If we were working inside Valve´s policy only, this forum should ban ReHLDS related threads, since its an edit on valve´s work.

Last edited by MAJESTIC_SZ; 04-30-2021 at 12:59.
DruGzOG
Veteran Member
Old 05-01-2021 , 22:52   Re: Current map name edit in "find servers"
Reply With Quote #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJESTIC_SZ View Post
I often change my maps name with no aditional plugins.

Example:

There is no CACHE map on CS 1.6 , there is only a CSS_CACHE cs 1.6 version.
I use Galileo as my votemap plugin and people can nominante maps.
I have only DE_ and CS_ maps available for nominating, so, i changed CSS_CACHE to DE_CACHE, this way i inserted CACHE on DE_list and players still recognize it.

This is nothing harmless, on the contrary, this helps CS 1.6 community.

If we were working inside Valve´s policy only, this forum should ban ReHLDS related threads, since its an edit on valve´s work.
reHLDS and Valve's Policy of truth have nothing to do with each other. Re-creating a map and/or renaming it does not violate valve's policy of truth.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...FGJ-3513#truth
Old 05-07-2021 , 06:57   Re: Current map name edit in "find servers"
Reply With Quote #16

not wanting to be boring, but is there any real difference between changing the name of the map in the file or changing it only in the game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DruGzOG View Post
reHLDS and Valve's Policy of truth have nothing to do with each other. Re-creating a map and/or renaming it does not violate valve's policy of truth.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_...FGJ-3513#truth
fysiks
Veteran Member
Old 05-07-2021 , 23:38   Re: Current map name edit in "find servers"
Reply With Quote #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaokb View Post
not wanting to be boring, but is there any real difference between changing the name of the map in the file or changing it only in the game?
You're downloading a different file. In generally, just because there may be a small reasonable use case doesn't mean the rule should be revoked. I don't think this is a reasonable use case, to be clear. I think trying to do what the OP is asking for is completely unnecessary.

Last edited by fysiks; 05-07-2021 at 23:42.