Raised This Month: $ Target: $400
 0% 

[forum suggestion] reveal identity of karma giver/taker

Riddick51
BANNED
Old 10-26-2005 , 13:58   [forum suggestion] reveal identity of karma giver/taker

maybe we should be able to see who has given us -karma, so we can go and serve them up some of their own medicene.

then we can counter-act the willy-nillies dispensing karma without cause.

if a person gives +/- karma, make a little comment field for the giver to fill in for their reason why, if they choose.

im not italian, but i sure like vendettas.
Send a message via AIM to Riddick51 Send a message via MSN to Riddick51 Send a message via Yahoo to Riddick51
BAILOPAN
Old 10-26-2005 , 14:59  

This was planned in the last karma revision. However, I was convinced by the person I stole the karma idea from that it was a bad idea. He said that revealing karma influences breaks the entire purpose of the system (in fact I think he called it the "cardinal rule of karma" or something). Moderation must be anonymous, otherwise you introduce more bias. Think about it: right now, vendettas are obviously pretty possible. But if you could see who is affecting you, it would exponentiate the situation.

Currently the database doesn't even keep track of this information (it only keeps track of who affects you, not how they affect you). In the future, I might add the ability to see the last ~10 people who affected your karma, but not which direction they did it in or how many times, and there might even be other limitations.

I know a lot of people want this feature but I don't think it's a good idea ;)