Raised This Month: $51 Target: $400
 12% 

VSH Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!

Post New Thread Reply   

nergal
Veteran Member
Old 02-27-2016 , 20:51   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal1 View Post
What's the advantage of using this over FF2?
You have more control of boss mechanics instead of relying on configs for boss stuff and subplugins to handle boss rages.

another way of looking at it is that you have complete control on the gameplay of the boss but only if you know sourcepawn.
Old 02-28-2016 , 23:39   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #612

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal View Post
You have more control of boss mechanics instead of relying on configs for boss stuff and subplugins to handle boss rages.

another way of looking at it is that you have complete control on the gameplay of the boss but only if you know sourcepawn.
You can have complete control over FF2 bosses if you can tell the difference between right and left. It just seems as though this is outdated and has no major benefit over FF2. Asking to implement customizable bosses is like re-inventing the wheel since FF2 exists and serves that exact purpose. I love the nostalgia of loading this plugin and scrolling through all the slightly more organized code, but it begs the question, how is this still a thing?

Last edited by Unreal1; 02-28-2016 at 23:40.
nergal
Veteran Member
Old 02-29-2016 , 02:00   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #613

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal1 View Post
You can have complete control over FF2 bosses if you can tell the difference between right and left. It just seems as though this is outdated and has no major benefit over FF2. Asking to implement customizable bosses is like re-inventing the wheel since FF2 exists and serves that exact purpose. I love the nostalgia of loading this plugin and scrolling through all the slightly more organized code, but it begs the question, how is this still a thing?
because with VSH, I have 100% total control than what FF2 gives to its advanced users.

FF2 was designed so that any non-coder can create bosses through ready-to-use rage/ability plugins and customize certain things via configs and key values.

With VSH and a knowledge of sourcepawn, you can easily decimate FF2 with a large amount of control and flexibility.
Old 02-29-2016 , 18:58   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #614

Quote:
Originally Posted by nergal View Post
because with VSH, I have 100% total control than what FF2 gives to its advanced users.

FF2 was designed so that any non-coder can create bosses through ready-to-use rage/ability plugins and customize certain things via configs and key values.

With VSH and a knowledge of sourcepawn, you can easily decimate FF2 with a large amount of control and flexibility.
Sounds like your running in circles. Let me re-phrase my argument. What is the advantage of adding support for custom bosses in this plugin if you can already do so via coding it yourself. It seems like the point of FF2 is to keep a high level of abstraction and low learning curb for the end user. If you are willing to code in your own bosses what does it matter if you use FF2 or VSH as a base plugin, you are coding it yourself. Just sounds like a waste of time to add a feature that already exists simply to keep the name VSH.

Edit: Oh wait...you already did
Sure, I as well like the sounds of VSH over FF2, but why confuse players with 2 seperate names.

Last edited by Unreal1; 02-29-2016 at 19:00.
Naydef
Old 03-04-2016 , 06:53   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #615

Occasionally, when the hale disconnects mid-game, the player who is the next hale will respawn in the blue team in losing pose. Is this intended feature or a bug?
PHP Code:
public OnClientDisconnect(client)
{

Damage[client] = 0;

AirDamage[client] = 0;

uberTarget[client] = -1;

VSHFlags[client] = 0;
    if (
g_bEnabled)
    {
        if (
client == Hale)
        {
            if (
VSHRoundState >= VSHRState_Active)
            {

decl String:authid[32];

GetClientAuthId(clientAuthId_Steam2authidsizeof(authid));
                new 
Handle:pack;

CreateDataTimer(3.0Timer_SetDisconQueuePointspackTIMER_FLAG_NO_MAPCHANGE);

WritePackString(packauthid);
                new 
bool:see[TF_MAX_PLAYERS];

see[Hale] = true;
                new 
tHale FindNextHale(see);
                if (
NextHale 0)
                {

tHale NextHale;
                }
                if (
IsValidClient(tHale))
                {

ChangeTeam(tHaleHaleTeam); //This code will respawn the next hale in the blue team.

}
            }
            if (
VSHRoundState == VSHRState_Active)
            {

ForceTeamWin(OtherTeam);
            }
            if (
VSHRoundState == VSHRState_Waiting)
            {
                new 
bool:see[TF_MAX_PLAYERS];

see[Hale] = true;
                new 
tHale FindNextHale(see);
                if (
NextHale 0)
                {

tHale NextHale;

NextHale = -1;
                }
                if (
IsValidClient(tHale))
                {

Hale tHale;

ChangeTeam(HaleHaleTeam);

CreateTimer(0.1MakeHale);

CPrintToChat(Hale"{olive}[VSH]{default} Surprise! You're on NOW!");
                }
            }

CPrintToChatAll("{olive}[VSH]{default} %t""vsh_hale_disconnected");
        }
        else
        {
            if (
IsClientInGame(client))
            {
                if (
IsPlayerAlive(client)) CreateTimer(0.0CheckAlivePlayers);
                if (
client == FindNextHaleEx()) CreateTimer(1.0Timer_SkipHalePanel_TIMER_FLAG_NO_MAPCHANGE);
            }
            if (
client == NextHale)
            {

NextHale = -1;
            }
        }
    }

Is VSH development suspended? I don't see activity on github.

Steam:
naydef

Last edited by Naydef; 03-04-2016 at 07:03.
starblaster64
Old 03-04-2016 , 22:44   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naydef View Post
Occasionally, when the hale disconnects mid-game, the player who is the next hale will respawn in the blue team in losing pose. Is this intended feature or a bug?

-codesnip-

Is VSH development suspended? I don't see activity on github.
Definitely a bug (or at least an oversight), there's no logical reason for that to be intentional. As for development, you're probably better off asking Chdata personally about that. I know he was doing some work on Custom Weapons 2 Beta kind-of recently though.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 03-05-2016 , 00:41   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #617

I prefer VSH for development because there's less overhead - there's less of trying to figure out FF2's natives and quirks and more of just directly writing your code into the plugin. That's enough for me not to touch FF2.

For non-programmers, FF2 is meant to pave the road for easier boss creation.

For programmers, coding FF2 plugins is more work because you need to work around FF2 instead of work with the plugin to design something that multiple server owners can use with multiple options.

Anyway, VSH isn't suspended. I haven't touched my own server (or TF2 at all) in 3 months, I've just been caught up in other things.

As you can see, I still have a Christmas avatar here.

Next Hale spawning on mid-round disconnect I believe avoids the situation where one team is empty, thus freezing the state of the game saying we're waiting for players to join the other team.

I know it probably looks glitchy though, I didn't make that part myself but I did think of giving that player godmode or something cause they tend to get instakilled.

I still open this forum every day to look for new posts here in case someone posts a major bug.

Last edited by Chdata; 03-05-2016 at 01:15.
Powerlord
AlliedModders Donor
Old 03-07-2016 , 10:27   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chdata View Post
I prefer VSH for development because there's less overhead - there's less of trying to figure out FF2's natives and quirks and more of just directly writing your code into the plugin. That's enough for me not to touch FF2.

For non-programmers, FF2 is meant to pave the road for easier boss creation.

For programmers, coding FF2 plugins is more work because you need to work around FF2 instead of work with the plugin to design something that multiple server owners can use with multiple options.
It's a lot harder to ship new bosses for VSH because it requires that you edit the plugin for each boss you want to add.

FF2 may be a badly designed framework, but at least it's a framework.

Side note: If you're designing FF2 plugins so that they only work for a single boss on a single server, you're Doing It Wrong™.
Veteran Member
Old 03-07-2016 , 13:22   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #619

may I suggest VSH gets its own framework and modularity via a static library?
Old 03-09-2016 , 22:03   Re: Versus Saxton Hale 1.55 - New Saxton Hale + Vagineer Models!
Reply With Quote #620

A nice thing I can suggest is to use the revamped RTD plugin's system to give VSH more static modifiability.

the bosses and their resources will be in their own source files, all to be compiled into a single smx

Last edited by nergal; 03-09-2016 at 22:03.