Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

What is your workflow when developing plugins?

Post New Thread Reply   

necavi
Veteran Member
Old 01-02-2014 , 17:08   Re: What is your workflow when developing plugins?
Reply With Quote #21

If anything I think that an Eclipse/Netbeans/IntelliJ plugin/app/whatever should be built, not something based on Visual Studio, since that would continue to lock developers to Windows if they want to use an IDE. I would gladly help out on a project to do that.
GAVVVR
Old 01-04-2014 , 15:02   Re: What is your workflow when developing plugins?
Reply With Quote #22

Hello. I use Sublime Text 2 with SourcePawn completions as IDE. I compile easily with ctrl+B shortcut, here is my build system:
Code:
{
	"cmd": ["C:/users/username/Dropbox/sourcemod/scripting/spcomp", "-o..\\plugins\\\\$file_name", "$file"]
}
I test my plugins on local srcds downloaded with SteamCMD. If i want to add Sourcemod to test server, i use Hard links, here is very useful extension for windows OS.
I use git for source control and bitbucket as remote repo (because there is no SourcePawn in the list of languages on github). Since you can create only one git repo in same directory i start my project somewhere on hard drive and use hardlinks again to setup plugins on server. The only thing i do slowly is reloading plugin on server and debugging. I have to write: "sm plugins reload pluginname". After reading this thread, i will try using smx auto-reloader.
Also i sometimes use Textastic app for iOS to watch code.
Hope this info will be useful

Last edited by GAVVVR; 01-04-2014 at 15:10.
Hawk552
AMX Mod X Moderator
Old 01-04-2014 , 15:58   Re: What is your workflow when developing plugins?
Reply With Quote #23

I host the server locally, and symlink my plugins directory to my scripting/compiled directory. That way, as soon as something is compiled, it is ready to run. I use vim with C highlighting for editing. I wouldn't recommend that if you want good highlighting.
Old 01-23-2014 , 03:22   Re: What is your workflow when developing plugins?
Reply With Quote #24

I use notepad++ with cpp highlighting (I had some sourcepawn highlighting before but it didn't properly fold functions).

I use nppFTP to edit the file over SSH directly on the server, this uploads when I save (no source control!). I have a putty session open to the server console with a recompilation script that prompts to confirm if the compilation was successful or not.

it moves the compiled plugin & restarts the server if I want to continue.. (server restart might not be required, but I've just been doing it that way).

I come from a VS2010 background and I'm looking into a more appropriate IDE that also supports javascript, nodejs, python...

so far I played with

1. webmatrix 3
    touted amazing nodejs support, but it wasn't so great.. this was probably not a good solution for python and other language plugins anyway
  2. netbeans
    the chrome devtools integration dragged me in, the nodejs plugin looked promising and compared to eclipse the configuration was supposed to be easy... - however it doesn't seem to handle the node.js module management properly (AMD / ComposeJS-style require) which is crucial for code completion.
  3. jetbrains webstorm / intelliJ IDEA:
    this IDE is really recomended everywhere on the web and even though the eclipse plugins look promising I don't want to waste more time and have decide to play with this.. so far so good.. . and it seems plugin development for this IDE is really powerful, maybe not too hard to get pawnstudio code completion going?

webstorm is the lightweight version with features IDEA handles through a plugin, IDEA is supposed to handle any type of IDE

Last edited by Lordearon; 01-23-2014 at 03:30.
Chdata
Veteran Member
Old 01-23-2014 , 03:30   Re: What is your workflow when developing plugins?
Reply With Quote #25

1. Come up with a cool sounding complicated idea

2. Think about how I'm going to make it work and things I'll have to do

3. Don't do it because I'm busy or just put it off for other stuff!
Old 01-23-2014 , 03:46   Re: What is your workflow when developing plugins?
Reply With Quote #26

I find that a separate repository per plugin is highly unnecessary as most plugins consist of just a single file.

Therefore I just start up my local server (updating it first if necessary) and launch Notepad++. I type out the header and myinfo struct manually because I figure that it'll just take longer to find and copy from an existing file (plus I'm lazy and don't feel like setting up a proper template of some sort).

Then I just start going, hitting F5 to compile directly to my test server (with auto-reloading) and alt-tab to TF2 to check it out.
Old 01-23-2014 , 04:01   Re: What is your workflow when developing plugins?
Reply With Quote #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. McKay View Post
I find that a separate repository per plugin is highly unnecessary as most plugins consist of just a single file.
You should keep the GIT history clean and not mix it with other projects.
Also you never know how big your plugin will gonna be later and splitting a repository somewhen later would give you headaches. Creating a new repository is pretty easy also.

When people ask me "Plz" just because it's shorter than "Please" I feel perfectly justified to answer "No" because it's shorter than "Yes"