Plugin Game:
Team Fortress 2
Plugin Dependencies:
    Servers with this Plugin:

Plugin Description:
    Attract and autoban achievement farmers
    Unapprover:
    Reason for Unapproving:
    Read my post. All issues outlined are in there.
    Old 02-25-2009 , 00:49   TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #1

Achievement Farmer Honeypot/Autoban

This is an extremely volitale plugin! Do not load this unless you are absolutely sure it is something you want to run! You have been warned!

This plugin has been designed to be used concurrently with a Honeypot server. (Read this article for information on what a honeypot is.)That is, a server that is setup to look like a normal Achievement Farming server, but in fact exists to attract farmers and automatically ban them. In theory, this plugin can be used in normal servers. By setting the minimum number of Achievements required to a high number, say 5 for example, you will likely stop farmers in normal games. However, I have not tested this method and I cannot guarantee you will not get false bans because of it.

This plugin will, after a short delay, automatically ban non-Reserved (and Root) flag players if they earn an achievement. This plugin is designed to be used with an achievement box map to attract and autoban achievement farmers. The bans are compatible with SourceBans.

Why use this plugin?
    As a server or community administrator, you may feel that you do not want those who would farm achievements to play on your servers. This is an effective means of attracting some of those people who would do this, and stop them from ever reaching your server's front door. This plugin is not for everyone, and many people seem to find the mere practice of using it controversial. Using this plugin is drawing a line in the sand for what has become a common, even welcomed practice. Be prepared to be disliked for enforcing honesty.

This Is Unfair / Stupid
    Only if you are a farmer. A server running this plugin will not affect normal, honest players who seek to earn their achievements and unlockables through legitimate means, in real world games the way that they were intended to be unlocked.

A warning to server admins!
    This will cost you friends and possibly community members. So far it has cost me 1 already. But if you feel the way I do about farming and choose to use this plugin, I think that as a whole we can influence a change in the Team Fortress community to stop farming and start playing.

Configuration
    A config file will automatically be generated when the plugin is setup. Feel free to edit these cvars from their defaults.

sm_honeypot_banreason - Reason given in the kick/ban
    sm_honeypot_bantime - Duration of ban. 0 is Permenant
    sm_honeypot_logactions - Log activity to /logs/honeypot.log
    sm_honeypot_waittime - Delay after someone has earned an achievement to ban them
    sm_honeypot_achievements - Number of achievements needed before player will be added to ban queue

The command sm_honeypot_debug will print out basic information about all players; if they are immune, how many achievements warnings they have, and if they are in the queue to be banned

I have made my list of farmers banned publicly available below, feel free to add them to your community's banlist. If you wish to add your community's honeypot bans to this list, feel free to post it in this thread or contact me privately if you fear backlash from others.

http://www.msleeper.com/tf2-achievement-farmers.html
    Attached Files
    File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (honeypot.sp - 990 views - 6.6 KB)
    File Type: rar achievement_scout.rar (420.5 KB, 499 views)

Last edited by Roach; 03-09-2009 at 22:45.
    Skyrider
    AMX Mod X Beta Tester
    Old 02-25-2009 , 03:21   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #2

If you ask me, farming is still legit; you're getting the achievements by doing what they require you to do. For the amount of time some people play TF2 in a year (quite a few only a few hours), it'd take them an eternity to get the achievements done by playing in regular servers. Just my 2 cents.

Quote:
    his plugin will, after a short delay, automatically ban non-Reserved (and Root) flag players if they earn an achievement
    So if i get this straight. This will get rid of anyone who gains an achievement on the server that runs this plugin? I'm sorry, but.. That's a bit stupid. Why? People can always accidental get the achievements, even on an achievement map. You could of course always say "Then they shouldn't have joined the server in the first place". But this can be even used on normal servers without any kind of achievement maps on them. But in this case you lure people in to your server to get banned. Waste of resources if you ask me.

Last edited by Skyrider; 02-25-2009 at 03:40.
    Send a message via AIM to Skyrider Send a message via MSN to Skyrider Send a message via Yahoo to Skyrider
    msleeper
    Veteran Member
    Old 02-25-2009 , 03:43   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #3

I'm going to try to refrain from arguments as to whether this farming or this plugin are "right", or try to argue against any sort of rationale for farming in the first place.

To your second point, yes that is right. I said it in big, red letters - this is a volitale plugin that should be used carefully. This isn't just a "throw on the server and call it a day" plugin, since yes, any non-Reserved non-Root player who earns any achievement on the server will be banned shortly after.

I don't expect anyone to use this, but I almost always post my finished plugins here whether they are "useful" or not since someone may at some point find my code, or the plugin itself, worthwhile. I have used this myself for the Heavy and Pyro updates.
    Old 02-25-2009 , 10:13   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #4

I've gained achievements without even trying jsut by playing normally.

Achievement farmers usually gain multiple ones in a map, so why not fix the whole issue and put in additional checks?

If you gain an achievement, you're fine. If you gain two or more in say a 10 or 15 minute period of time, then you get banned.

That stops the farming and keeps your community happy.

Weapon Restrictions w/ Warmup
    High Ping Kicker - Lite Edition
    AFK Manager
    woof
    Old 02-25-2009 , 13:38   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #5

When i first played TF2 i would play normal games and try do do achievements WHILE playing and thats not farming, its not hard to do alot of the achievements. You can easily get most of them done in a normal game, but not with this plugin. Absolutely worthless.

Unapprove this plugin people.
    sLuGo
    Old 02-25-2009 , 15:13   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #6

It's not meant to be on a normal server.
    Server admin has 10 servers.
    He setups one with this plugin, and makes it a ach farm. Then, he perm bans anyone who joins even, not even plays long enough to get a ach. The ban carries out over the other 9 servers. I see why he made this, and if you dont like it, doesn't mean it is not properly written or usless for EVERYONE. Keep your opinions to your self if you don't have a comment about the plugin, other then it's a waste of time and usless....JMO
    Old 02-25-2009 , 15:33   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #7

Yeah slugo has the idea. This isn't supposed to be for your normal server, this is designed for a server specifically setup as a honeypot to attract and ban farmers.
    Old 02-25-2009 , 15:50   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #8

There are achievement manager programs you can download that are much easier than farming anyway. The whole achievement thing is fine for console games, but it's not that workable for PC games. For one, it's easy to get achievements in other ways (using something like the above).

I don't get to play often. I don't see why people should be rewarded for playing 10 hours a day. I'll probably wait a few weeks until most people have the achievements and then use an achievement manager program to get them also. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with that. It gives the people who care time to get them, and lets me be able to compete with them later.
    msleeper
    Veteran Member
    Old 02-25-2009 , 16:03   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #9

I have a feeling that, now that the unlockables have moved to the Steam cloud, Valve can now identify people who use that program and they are going to be cockblocked the same way that they did for people who used the class weapon glitch.

I disagree with your second paragraph, but I'm gonna leave it at that.
    Old 02-25-2009 , 16:45   Re: TF2 Achievement Honeypot Plugin
    Reply With Quote #10

There really is nothing wrong with posting a plugin that doesn't appeal to the masses, and obviously using it is by choice of the server admins so whoever claims that it's unfair or it isn't right is presenting a moot point.

I would like to make a suggestion though. Make the number of achievements the player is banned after a variable instead of just one, if you feel like putting in the time. I'd say it would increase the flexibility of the plugin as a whole.

Last edited by vvg125; 02-25-2009 at 16:48.
    Send a message via AIM to vvg125 Send a message via MSN to vvg125 Send a message via Yahoo to vvg125