Raised This Month: $12 Target: $400
 3% 

Duplicate account - how it works ?

Post New Thread Reply   

Sincronic
Old 10-11-2019 , 08:24   Duplicate account - how it works ?
Reply With Quote #1

Because i had a problem on my servers with people that where banned by sourcebans for duplicate account. They sad that they never been with another account on the server. Some people where banned by sourcebans after one month, and in that month they entered on servers every day..

My question is: Sourcebans bans for duplicate accont just for having same ip ? Or... I don't know now.. something else? Like logs.. mac adress.

Thnx.
Sincronic
Old 10-11-2019 , 08:25   Ban for Duplicate account - how it works ?
Reply With Quote #2

Because i had a problem on my servers with people that where banned by sourcebans for duplicate account. They sad that they never been with another account on the server. Some people where banned by sourcebans after one month, and in that month they entered on servers every day..

My question is: Sourcebans bans for duplicate accont just for having same ip ? Or... I don't know now.. something else? Like logs.. mac adress.

Thnx.
CrazyHackGUT
AlliedModders Donor
Old 10-11-2019 , 08:32   Re: Duplicate account - how it works ?
Reply With Quote #3

SourceSleuth checks last banned users by IP.
Sincronic
Old 10-11-2019 , 08:51   Re: Duplicate account - how it works ?
Reply With Quote #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyHackGUT View Post
SourceSleuth checks last banned users by IP.

So it's possible that it may be a coincidence ? Because almost everyone has dynamic ip ? And it is a chance to get an banned ip on the server?
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 10-11-2019 , 15:29   Re: Duplicate account - how it works ?
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincronic View Post
So it's possible that it may be a coincidence ? Because almost everyone has dynamic ip ? And it is a chance to get an banned ip on the server?
It simply checks if there is already a ban existing (that is still banned), and where the ban was made while the banned user was on that particular IP address:

There are definitely a possibility that it is a mistake; but there is also a possibility that your user is lying, and that it is him/her (e.g. the person that was banned in the first place, lying to try to get in again).

It can go both ways, and there are no 100% guaranteed way of determining the truth here.

You can however go through certain "probability" measurements to determine how likely it is, and act up on that, but again, it won't be 100% guaranteed.

Dynamic IP alone does NOT mean that there is a high probability of the ban being mistaken, but there is a chance that would indeed raise the probability, the longer that the original ban has existed.

If the ban triggering this was made like two hours before the person's you are asking about here, it is not very likely.

However, if the original ban was made a year ago or more, it is obviously very likely that another, perhaps innocent user, has retrieved that particular IP address now.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Sincronic
Old 10-12-2019 , 03:54   Re: Duplicate account - how it works ?
Reply With Quote #6

@DarkDeviL u are right.

So how can i disable this option ? By deleting the plugin "sbpp_sleuth" ?
DarkDeviL
SourceMod Moderator
Old 10-12-2019 , 04:45   Re: Duplicate account - how it works ?
Reply With Quote #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sincronic View Post
So how can i disable this option ? By deleting the plugin "sbpp_sleuth" ?
Deleting the plugin (.smx) from plugins/ folder would indeed remove the functionality / option.

However, even with chances of false possibilities, the information of a potential possibility of being a duplicate account could become handy for any admin, in order to choose what to do "manually".

According to the current addons/sourcemod/scripting/sbpp_sleuth.sp file, you can simply set (or change) "sm_sleuth_actions" in your configurations.

sm_sleuth_actions 4 should be "notify admins" without any further action.

Dropbox FastDL: Public folder will no longer work after March 15, 2017!
For more info, see the [SRCDS Thread], or the [HLDS Thread].
Sincronic
Old 10-12-2019 , 11:28   Re: Duplicate account - how it works ?
Reply With Quote #8

Tnx DarkDeviL for your time. I got it !