Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Good computer customization sites

Post New Thread Reply   

wonsae
Old 06-10-2007 , 13:07   Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #1

What are some good computer customization sites, I found one (cyberpowerpc.com) but I want to check others before buying my computer.
Jonathan Young
Old 06-10-2007 , 15:07   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #2

I am not 100% sure what you mean, but i believe you mean sites where you can order a pc customized to your likings. If so, then check out alienware.com, dell.com, gateway.com, and hp.com. I know the first two still offer pc customization, not sure about the last two. You could also buy the parts and make your own pc, like i do. I consider it the best way to know what you have and what you do not have. However, there are faults in building it yourself, which are mostly destorying your parts with static or you just run into hardware or software problems. Anyways, feel free to hit me up, if you still need help by either posting here or messaging me.
vvg125
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 06-10-2007 , 15:08   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Young View Post
I am not 100% sure what you mean, but i believe you mean sites where you can order a pc customized to your likings. If so, then check out alienware.com, dell.com, gateway.com, and hp.com. I know the first two still offer pc customization, not sure about the last two. You could also buy the parts and make your own pc, like i do. I consider it the best way to know what you have and what you do not have. However, there are faults in building it yourself, which are mostly destorying your parts with static or you just run into hardware or software problems. Anyways, feel free to hit me up, if you still need help by either posting here or messaging me.
Stay far, far away from Dell. Also, Alienware is extremely overpriced.

PS: I think Dell owns Alienware too...
Old 06-10-2007 , 15:12   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #4

Yeah, i do not like dell anyways, but he did ask for a few sites. Dell has too many pc problems, mainly hardware. For example, i had to repiar a few pc's that were dell and yet, after all the work on a few of them, they still came back with the same problem....

I am not sure about dell owning alienware, but yeah alienware is overpriced, but they do offer better computers. However, i can build about the same pc for what they have, for just the same price, but without shipping and handeling.
slmclarengt
Veteran Member
Old 06-10-2007 , 15:14   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvg125 View Post
Stay far, far away from Dell. Also, Alienware is extremely overpriced.

PS: I think Dell owns Alienware too...
I think you meant to cross out alienware too because Alienware is also owned by Dell. If you are not up to the challenge of building your own computer (just finished mine today - installing the OS right now), pay some computer technician you know to build a computer for you - they are far more reliable than any of those companies. I'll give you a breakdown of how poor those companies perform from personal experiences:

Alienware: Overpriced, still low-quality "products" (motherboard/RAM - by low quality, not name-brand, trustworthy).
Dell: Cheap, Very low-quality/workmanship - comes with Junk and performs like junk! Technical Support is a joke - might as well talk to a wall!
Gateway: Terrible from the start - they come with basic components even Wal-mart sells :-) (never buy anything at all from Wal-mart).
HP: Hardware Failure followed by more hardware failure finished off by technical support which likes the hang-up button :-).

Best option: Build it yourself or get someone else to do it for you. Or, have them install the mobo/case/power supply/HDD and install the rest of the "Easy" stuff yourself. Just watch out for faulty hardware!

Slmclarengt

Come play WC3:FT on BnD Clan Server! You know you want to: Connect to WC3:FT BnD - go ahead click me!
vvg125
AMX Mod X Beta Tester
Old 06-10-2007 , 15:21   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #6

Yes, I meant to cross out Alienware too.

Though I would never buy a pre-made computer myself (unless it's a laptop...), the only company from that list I would slightly consider is HP (oddly enough, never had any problems with them). However, as slmclarengt said, I'd get someone who's good with hardware to do it for you. It'll come out a few hundred dollars cheaper most of the time, too.

Last edited by vvg125; 06-10-2007 at 15:23.
Send a message via AIM to vvg125 Send a message via MSN to vvg125 Send a message via Yahoo to vvg125
Jonathan Young
Old 06-10-2007 , 15:25   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #7

Yeah, cheaper is right. I don't see a lot of people i know buying from companies, but hey they buy from frys which is the same thing. Its easy to learn to build your self all it is is just putting the parts together. Only thing that may be hard, is the compatibitlity. It is for most beginners, but hey you can always ask the tech people at your local pc stores. I am sure they will be willing to help. Wow, no idea dell owned alienware, thanks for info.
over_mind
Old 06-10-2007 , 16:04   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #8

And HP owns voodoopc, but that's for the richies. Besides, building your own is fun
Send a message via AIM to over_mind Send a message via MSN to over_mind
wonsae
Old 06-10-2007 , 17:36   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #9

I don't know any computer technician which is why I was hoping for someone to tell me if there are any good, cheap, reliable sites for buying computers.
TheNewt
Donor
Old 06-10-2007 , 20:20   Re: Good computer customization sites
Reply With Quote #10

if you build your own computer, stay away from EMachine's mother boards!! They fry WAY to easily. Most PSU's on those Mobo's burn out and take the mobo with it!