Raised This Month: $32 Target: $400
 8% 

Solved [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event

Post New Thread Reply   

Maur0
Old 09-07-2021 , 15:21   [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #1

Hello good. I would like to know if there is any command, script or plugin of whatever to deactivate some Gauntlet events in some maps that they have. For example if I wanted to do a style in L4D1, where there are no Gauntlet events and you can pass with only 1 or 2 horde calls instead of infinite ones.

The idea would be to allow deactivating which types of maps turn off the Gauntlet event, if I want to deactivate the Gauntlet event of Dark Carnival, Dead Air and Blood Harvest. And some out there to leave them.

If possible. I would thank you a lot. Thanks.

Last edited by Maur0; 09-13-2021 at 14:00.
Austin
Old 09-08-2021 , 05:14   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #2

You can use Stripper to remove the trigger events for the onslaughts.
https://forums.alliedmods.net/showthread.php?t=39439

I did this for Death Toll L4D2 the second to last map that has a gauntlet run to the safe room.
It works great and you can do any map once you learn the tricks.

With Stripper you create text files with the map name and put in commands to add / remove / modify the map entities which are basically most everything in the map besides the environment and walls including the triggers for the gauntlet runs.

What I did was use Stripper to turn off the trigger that starts the script for the gauntlet run.

To run Stripper you need to first install Metamod.

The steps are install Metamod and Stripper and make sure Stripper is running. Go in game join the map and do a stripper_dump to get a file of all the map entities. Look through that file to find the trigger entities and then create a cfg text file that has the stripper commands to remove them.

Here are the steps start to finish how I did this for Death Toll second to last map which actually has the file name c10m4_mainstreet.bsp.

1) On your server install Metamod
https://www.sourcemm.net/downloads.php?branch=stable
Get the latest by clicking the icons at the top for Windows or Linux or Mac
The zip file will have one folder in it addons.
Put all of the files and folders in addons in the zip into your
\L4D2\left4dead2\addons\
Keeping the structure in the zip file

2) Install Stripper
http://www.bailopan.net/stripper/snapshots/1.2/
The latest one for Windows is
http://www.bailopan.net/stripper/sna...29-windows.zip
The zip file will agin have one folder addons.
Put everything in that addons into your addons keeping the folder structure in it.

3) Start your server and go to the console and type
Meta list
You should see that stripper is running.
I have other things running. All you need to see is that Stripper is definitely running on your server.

meta list
Listing 5 plugins:
[01] SourceMod (1.10.0.6510) by AlliedModders LLC
[02] Stripper (1.2.2) by BAILOPAN
[03] CS Tools (1.10.0.6510) by AlliedModders LLC
[04] SDK Tools (1.10.0.6510) by AlliedModders LLC
[05] SDK Hooks (1.10.0.6510) by AlliedModders LLC

4) Get a list of all the entities for the map you want to disable the gauntlet run.
I already did Death Toll so let me show you exactly how I did that one.

First make sure your console is enabled.
In l4d main screen go to Options / Keyboard/Mouse / Allow Developer Console and make sure it is enabled.

Start L4d and join the map. In this case it was the second to last map in the Death Toll campaign.

Once in the game go to the console by pressing the tilde key, it is under the esc key.
~
Once in the console type status and hit enter

] status
hostname: Austin - Server Owner
version : 2.2.2.0 8267 insecure
udp/ip : 10.10.10.110:27015 [ public n/a ]
map : c10m4_mainstreet at ( -3093, 105, 390 )
players : 1 humans, 0 bots (4 max) (not hibernating) (unreserved)

# userid name uniqueid connected ping loss state rate adr
# 2 1 "Austin - Server Owner" STEAM_1:0:2555958 006 40 0 active 30000 loopback
# 3 "Louis" BOT active
# 4 "Francis" BOT active
# 5 "Bill" BOT active
#end

Notice the actual physical map file name is
c10m4_mainstreet

Now in the console type
Stripper_dump

It will look like nothing happened. This command for some reason doesn’t give any feedback but it should have created this file on your server
M:\L4D2\left4dead2\addons\stripper\dumps\c10m 4_mainstreet.cfg
Open that file and search for
Onslaught

5) Here is where it gets tricky.
To disable the gauntlet I figured out the OnPressed and OnTrigger that starts the onslaught script "director BeginScript c10m4_onslaught 7 -1" and I created a stripper file with the commands to “Strip” them out of the map.

Here is the Stripper file and it goes into
\L4D2\left4dead2\addons\stripper\maps\c10m4_m ainstreet.cfg

PHP Code:
Austin Remove the hoard from the gauntlet run to the safe room.
modify:
{

match:
    {

"hammerid" "4782801"

}

delete:
    {

"OnPressed" "onslaught1 GenerateGameEvent  8 -1"
        "OnPressed" "director EndScript  0 -1"

}
}

modify:
{

match:
    {

"hammerid" "5855067"

}

delete:
    {

"OnTrigger" "director BeginScript c10m4_onslaught 7 -1"

}

The effect this has is when you get to the forklift by the barber shop sign and press it you hear the sounds and see the events as if the onslaught is running / going to run but you never get a hoard. The ramp drops down and you can continue on. Getting to the safe room from here is tough enough without the hoard!

To do other maps follow these same steps and create a Stripper file for them.
If you try to do one and get stuck post a request for help in the stripper forum (the first link in this post) and I or someone else might help you.

Last edited by Austin; 09-08-2021 at 05:24.
Marttt
Veteran Member
Old 09-08-2021 , 12:26   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Amazing guide.

Btw you can try change the finale type with stripper aswell.

Search for "trigger_finale" entity and change the "type" attribute.

PHP Code:
Finale Type <choices>
Specifies which style of finale to trigger
Standard
Gauntlet
Custom
Scavenge 

Last edited by Marttt; 09-08-2021 at 12:26.
Maur0
Old 09-08-2021 , 13:37   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #4

Austin - Thanks a lot!!! It worked perfect and it took me a bit to understand step 5, but that was because I copied what you put in and not in my file.

What if it is very strange now how is the event without the gauntlet, since I thought it would call the horde first and then stop. And everything turned out very calm as if nothing happened, except of course that the Specials continue to spawn as always.

Anyway, thank you very much and if you know how to replace the gauntlet with a panic or cressendo to start with a horde and then move forward without problem, that would be great. Anyway, that way I am calmer.

Marttt - Thanks, as always. Since I see you make great plugins. I hope you make that plugin to restrict which gauntlet events are allowed and not.
Austin
Old 09-08-2021 , 17:20   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #5

I have on my to do list to try tweaking the map .nut files to get the campaigns to do different things including the finals and gauntlet runs.
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/L4D2_Vscripts
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/VICE
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...pted_mutations

Maur0,
you could do whatever you are looking to do by changing these .nut script files. It looks like valve uses them for the mutations which seriously change the way the game plays. But as always it looks to be a bit complicated to get into.

But! I noticed that changing the onslaughts looks to be pretty easy.
So for example instead of an infinite hoard at the end of the second to last map on Dark Carnival you could pretty easily change it into any size and length hoard that ends.

Check this info here:
“Left 4 Dead 2 Director scripts are vscripts that are primarily used to influence the behavior of the AI Director. They are extensively used for custom finales and gauntlet events.”
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/...rector_Scripts

Marttt,
instead of changing the .nut file for the finales, this is great to know for a quick and simple way to change the finales and remove the horrible endless hordes.

Great to know!
Thanks!

Last edited by Austin; 09-08-2021 at 17:21.
Austin
Old 09-09-2021 , 04:40   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #6

Maur0,
this post motivated me to finally look into VScripts and how they work in mods.

Try this and let me know.
For Dark Carnival map 4 the horde and gauntlet run to the safe room,
this will let the first horde run but will turn off the gauntlet run.

Create a text file on your server and put this text into it and put this file in
\L4D2\left4dead2\scripts\vscripts\c2m4_barns_ onslaught2.nut

PHP Code:
Msg("<><><><><>< Turning off gauntlet run ><><><><<><<>Initiating Onslaught2\n"); 

This c2m4_barns_onslaught2.nut script runs when the gate opens during the first horde event.
For VScripts, when one script runs it ends the running script.
This turns off the first hord script (c2m4_barns_onslaught.nut) and runs this one which now has just the one line printing that server console message above. All of the lines that defined and ran the gauntlet event have been deleted.

A REALLY CHEAP way to turn off the gauntlet event for someone (me) that doesn't know VScripts and the details of how they interact with the mods!

Last edited by Austin; 09-09-2021 at 15:59.
Maur0
Old 09-10-2021 , 14:50   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #7

Austin - Thank you very much for the guide. It has helped me a lot to get this event out, even though it feels weird without that event. But at least I wanted to pretend it was the original l4d1, where that game didn't have that infinite horde event.

Thank you

Quote:
Maur0,
this post motivated me to finally look into VScripts and how they work in mods.

Try this and let me know.
For Dark Carnival map 4 the horde and gauntlet run to the safe room,
this will let the first horde run but will turn off the gauntlet run.

Create a text file on your server and put this text into it and put this file in
\L4D2\left4dead2\scripts\vscripts\c2m4_barns_ onslaught2.nut

PHP Code:
Msg("<><><><><>< Turning off gauntlet run ><><><><<><<>Initiating Onslaught2\n"); 

This c2m4_barns_onslaught2.nut script runs when the gate opens during the first horde event.
For VScripts, when one script runs it ends the running script.
This turns off the first hord script (c2m4_barns_onslaught.nut) and runs this one which now has just the one line printing that server console message above. All of the lines that defined and ran the gauntlet event have been deleted.

A REALLY CHEAP way to turn off the gauntlet event for someone (me) that doesn't know VScripts and the details of how they interact with the mods!
I have tried and I don't know if I did it right. Because I created a nut file and put it in the location and I put the command you sent me with the name "c2m4_barns_onslaught" in the nut format. And when I try it, nothing happens, infinite hordes keep coming.

I do not know if something has been done wrong. But hey for now I'll stick with the first guide you sent me.
Austin
Old 09-10-2021 , 19:44   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maur0 View Post
Austin - Thank you very much for the guide. It has helped me a lot...
Actually your question has helped me a lot,
Without it I would not have investigated VScripts and now I see how powerful they are and I can also use them in CSGO the current game I am focusing on.
Thanks!

Quote:
Maur0,
D2\left4dead2\scripts\vscripts\c2m4_barns_ons laught2.nut
The file name of the script has to be
c2m4_barns_onslaught2.nut
It has a 2 on the end.
Rename it to that and it will work.

c2m4_barns_onslaught.nut
is the script that starts the hoard when you press the button at the ticket booth.

c2m4_barns_onslaught2.nut
is the script that runs when the gates open and it starts the gauntlet run to the safe room. This is the one we are replacing and it works great if you have the right file name and put it in the correct location as shown.

Also I thought it would be more interesting if we had some type of challenge instead of just turning off the gauntlet and having a “stroll” to the safe room.

I noticed in these scripts you can specify where the hoard spawns.

Attached is the script that does this. Try it and let me know what you think.
The gauntlet run is way more doable but still challenging if you don't get a move on.
It spawns the hoard close behind the survivors and also has specials.
It's cool! and way better than a gauntlet run.

If you like this solution I can work on the other maps.
I too hate the gauntlet runs and would prefer to remove or modify them.

P.S.Admins.
Allow the upload of file type?
.nut
Attached Files
File Type: zip c2m4_barns_onslaught2.zip (549 Bytes, 202 views)

Last edited by Austin; 09-11-2021 at 03:47.
Maur0
Old 09-12-2021 , 16:24   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #9

Austin - Thank you very much for the file. Now the event feels so much better. You start the horde, and when the door is open, the event is over and there is no more infinite horde, allowing you to reach the saferoom safely and easily.

Now that I have managed to get rid of some gauntlet events (thanks to you obviously), I am wondering about these events. You will have files to modify and replace them so that only one or two hordes appear instead of infinite hordes.

These are the maps that had their infinite events:
  1. c2m4_barns
  2. c3m3_shantytown
  3. c6m2_bedlam
  4. c10m4_mainstreet
  5. c11m4_terminal
  6. c12m3_bridge
  7. c12m4_barn
  8. c13m2_southpinestream

Of all those maps I have managed to modify the horde event. Now these are the events that I couldn't manage to change. Over there maybe you have a file to modify these maps:
  1. c3m3_shantytown
  2. c6m2_bedlam
  3. c13m2_southpinestream

So nothing more than that. And I hope you have some nut file to modify these maps. And with that I am calmer and much better the new gameplay. Thanks.

Last edited by Maur0; 09-12-2021 at 16:25.
Austin
Old 09-12-2021 , 20:43   Re: [L4D2] Disable Gauntlet Event
Reply With Quote #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maur0 View Post
Of all those maps I have managed to modify the horde event. Now these are the events that I couldn't manage to change. Over there maybe you have a file to modify these maps:

c3m3_shantytown
c6m2_bedlam
c13m2_southpinestream
Some of these get complicated.
I may or may not be able to figure them out since I am just starting with VScripts.
I will take a look at them this week.

I forgot to mention what I have been doing to make the gauntlet runs and endless hordes more fun to play on my servers.

I have been modifying the maps to put in bile jars and pipe bombs before them to make them easier.

This is the #1 way I have been using for years on my server and I actually like it the best. They are still challenging even with a bile jar or two.

You can add these items using stripper.
For example to put a bile jar on top of the AC unit on the roof top at the very start of dead center create this stripper cfg file.

M:\L4D2\left4dead2\addons\stripper\maps\c1m1_ hotel.cfg
add:
{
"origin" "638.3 6099.7 2936.8"
"angles" "0.0 -89.1 0.0"
"classname" "weapon_vomitjar"
"count" "1"
}

I also like to start off with any gun I want so I drop all of the different tier2 guns in the safe rooms at the start of every campaign.

It is easy to put these in except for knowing what x y z coordinates to use to put them where you want them in the maps.

You can run over to where you want them and then go console and type status and it shows you your x y z and then you can use that in your stripper cfg but this is tedious.

You can also use cl_showpos which will constantly show your x y z pos in the upper left of the screen.

To make all of this easier I created “MapHacks” that makes adding items to maps easy.
I released versions for CSS and CSGO but never released my L4D2 one.

The L4D2 one is attached!

It has one command add

So you would go to where you want a bile jar and type in the chat
!add bile

And a bile jar would be placed in that spot.
The nice thing about MapHack is all it is doing is creating the stripper cfg file and entries for you.

In the chat type
!add help
The open the console to get a list of items you can add.

For SM plugins (using sm_ on the command names) you can type them in the console or also by using !<commandName> in the chat

For example to add a bile jar where you are standing you can use either
In chat
!add bile
Or in the client console
add bile

If you are creating key binds for sm commands you use the non ! one, the actual command name. For example this will set up your F12 key to run the add command to add a bile
bind “F12” “add bile”

When you use MapHack and add an item, I create the stripper entry for it so now every time the map is loaded you will have that item. If you decide to delete it you have to edit the stripper .cfg file

And also if you add some items and then go on to lay the play the round and loose and it restarts you will NOT see the items. This is because once you add them they will only show up again when the map is Reloaded so after adding items force a map restart before trying to use it.

Let me know if you also think this is the best way to avoid the endless hordes and if so then we don't need to put in anymore time with the VScript method.

Austin's L4D2 MapHack!
Attached Files
File Type: sp Get Plugin or Get Source (ABSMapHackL4D2.sp - 196 views - 17.6 KB)

Last edited by Austin; 09-12-2021 at 20:54.